Default IMCA vs UMP vs USMTS

Somebody help me out here. How much difference is there between the rules in the 3 major open wheel series/sanctions?

Can you take 1 car and run all 3 with little or no changes?

I'm actually mainly interested in the difference between IMCA and UMP style cars. But if there is one that is waaay different than the rest I would like to here about it.

It's mostly morbid curiosity that has me asking. But also partly optimism because I hope to be able to afford to race again someday before I'm too old to enjoy it and be competitive and modifieds appeal to me but there aren't many tracks in my area to race at.

I'm a couple hours from 411 in TN and they run UMP on a weekly basis I'm pretty sure. And the Iron Man Series comes to my neck of the woods from time to time so it would be cool to here if anyone has some input on that.

I've looked at some of the rules and I can't really see many huge differences but I wanted to here from somebody whose familiar.

Thanks in advance.

35 views and not 1 single person can help me out?!

Do not use UMP
    We build fast race cars,,not race cars fast!

An IMCA car would be the most legal to run with the other sanctions. Main thing is different tires for all three. A crate is big in the IMCA mod, I know you can run it in USMTS, not sure about ump. Ump and a USMTS/USRA car are there own thing.

If you wanted to race again on the cheap, I would like for a limited mod class to run. You'd get the same feel as a modified but without the cost.
    Just a Sportmod racer at Nelson Boys Racing.

You can race an IMCA or a USMTS in UMP as long as you dont have a spoiler. UMP has softer tires and 100+ more HP than USMTS Spec motor and a ton more than a crate motor. IMCA has many small rules on parts/ shocks/ IMCA stamped Parts etc, etc. UMP is closer to unlimited than USMTS or IMCA. Would take a lot of changes to run a UMP car in IMCA, less for USMTS but still alot.

Dave
    Last edited by Racer96m; 09-04-2018 at 05:47 PM.
    2012 UMP Stock Car National Champions.
    2013 UMP Modified Rookie of the Year
    2014 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Fairbury American Legion Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 Kankakee Speedway UMP Modified Champion
    2016 UMP Modified, Northen IL Regional Champion
    2018 UMP Modified, #2 National Points Standings
    Like us on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/McKinneyMotorsports

IMCA - Strict rules that are enforced, crate motors with a few options for an "open"USMTS - Rules that are enforced but not as strictly as IMCA. Open motors allowed, weight/spoiler break for "spec" motor.UMP - Free for all, If your not cheating your not trying hard enough.
    Last edited by chasteen40; 09-05-2018 at 01:45 PM.

There needs to be a NATIONAL RULE BOOK. URR United Rules Racing .for Modifieds and for B-MOD (sports modifieds) there are too many sanctions with too many rules that devide classes of cars instead of bringing them together. Someday in the future I hope to sit down with some motivated people to discuss this . We need to create a national rule book where a modified in ohio is the same modified in texas or florida or rhode island..Sanctioning groups do more to divide cars than to bring them together....Like I said In the future I would like to sit down and write the best of the best rule book for racers and the future of racers.
    I want URR Unified Rules Racing .

The big difference between IMCA Mods and the other Mods is IMCA does not allow aluminum heads on open motors.

UMP still allow the 1.5in roll cages? If so something to watch for as you cant take that to USMTS or IMCA.