Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gary Balough Book

He raced dirt late models some so I guess it's ok to post this here.
    Have any of you read the new Balough book that he co-wrote with Bones Bourcier ? I've read about all of the short track racing biographies and autobiographies....Larry Moore, Jack Hewitt, Brad Doty, etc etc, and this one is definitely my favorite. Too many times the others fall into a theme of "things were rocky but they got better", then there is a cute story. There are exceptions but that seems to be a running formula with a lot of those books. Lots of things haven't been ok for Balough and he is completely open about it. The actual racing stories in this book are second to none as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jr29 View Post
    He raced dirt late models some so I guess it's ok to post this here.
    Have any of you read the new Balough book that he co-wrote with Bones Bourcier ? I've read about all of the short track racing biographies and autobiographies....Larry Moore, Jack Hewitt, Brad Doty, etc etc, and this one is definitely my favorite. Too many times the others fall into a theme of "things were rocky but they got better", then there is a cute story. There are exceptions but that seems to be a running formula with a lot of those books. Lots of things haven't been ok for Balough and he is completely open about it. The actual racing stories in this book are second to none as well.
    Oh yeah, definitely on my go get and read list. I’ve read and own all the ones you mentioned. Another, is Richie Evans book. Earl’s, and I wanna day I’ve read Bugsy’s too. Lol, also, Jan Opperman’s book.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Another one about the hypocrisy’s and BS in NASCAR is Tim Richmond ‘s book.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Oppermans book is very good...Doug Wolfgang book excellent read as well

Thanks for the tip jr29. I need to find that book on-line and order it. Will never forget when Balough pulled into the Syracuse mile with his radical modified. I think it was supposed to be a Cadillac. He sure stunned the pit area. I was able to see him win an All American 400 in Nashville, TN in the mid 80's. He was a wheelman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Clod View Post
    Thanks for the tip jr29. I need to find that book on-line and order it. Will never forget when Balough pulled into the Syracuse mile with his radical modified. I think it was supposed to be a Cadillac. He sure stunned the pit area. I was able to see him win an All American 400 in Nashville, TN in the mid 80's. He was a wheelman.
    It was supposed to be a Lincoln Continental.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Barefoot bob mccreadie book is good too but its out of publication so hard to find
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    Barefoot bob mccreadie book is good too but its out of publication so hard to find
    I got that one too. Think it’s blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Clod View Post
    Coastal 181 is who they were always through.

Bob has raced at Sharon. And then in his later years I’d see him at Lernerville. Always one of my favorites, his nickname, and he was good.

He showed up at lernerville with his small block car and ran away with the feature. He stuck around the pits and became a fan of many regulars that Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    It was supposed to be a Lincoln Continental.
    Yes I was there to see it. I cant remember how it all went down but I think he blew them away w it and they deemed it to radical and told him to never come back w it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    He showed up at lernerville with his small block car and ran away with the feature. He stuck around the pits and became a fan of many regulars that Friday night.
    If your refering to barefoot he used to run automatics in his cars and beat them on restarts but he had troubles w them not being very dependable and switched back to standards shift.

Yes I was there to see it. I cant remember how it all went down but I think he blew them away w it and they deemed it to radical and told him to never come back w it.
    It changed modified racing forever. Never again did cars have stock appearing bodies.

But the body was largely smoke and mirrors. Sure, it was radical for the time and way more aerodynamic than the Gremlins, but underneath is where that magic was.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    It May have been around the same time he went to Sharon. He ran Hutter motors, and was shaking it down at Sharon, maybe he hit Lernerville too. Hutter is in Chardon, Ohio.(NE)

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    It May have been around the same time he went to Sharon. He ran Hutter motors, and was shaking it down at Sharon, maybe he hit Lernerville too. Hutter is in Chardon, Ohio.(NE)

Hutter had it going on then. Do they still build motors. Ron hutter was builder at that time.

Hutter had it going on then. Do they still build motors. Ron hutter was builder at that time.
    Ron was the man. He offered to do my Dad’s motors and he turned him down because it woulda been like an hour one way to get them. My Dad worked full time and didn’t really wanna deal with a motor guy that far away, but I think he always regretted it. He let Ross Racing Engines do them, he let him build one. That is all, after that only machine work, hint hint.

Not sure, I’ll look. He got into NASCAR stuff, I know that. Why my Dad always brought him up. NASCAR, asphalt modifieds, he was really good.

Look up Hutter Performance SS. Very much still in business, plus some history in there. He built Richie Evans motors for all his championships.

What?!?! There are books out there about dirt racing? Can’t believe Wolfgang even wrote one, I gotta get that one. I hate reading but now I might like it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    Look up Hutter Performance SS. Very much still in business, plus some history in there. He built Richie Evans motors for all his championships.
    Ok
    Yea ik he did richies motors. He was my idol in asphault mods and was close to where i was born and raised. Became a fan my first race thru my uncle