Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

At this rate, it'll be like F1 with 20 cars at every event.

Back when the unified body rules came into play there were many more weekly racers and weekly tracks. Today there are not as many tracks and not as many tracks featuring open supers as the headliner class.

Today we have tracks and series that run what looks like a super but it is powered by a 602 crate, 604 crate, a steel block, some sort of concept motor, or referred to as a limited, etc. None of those types would dare try and compete against an open super at Eldora. Back in 1986, it was a different scene when Bob Memmer saved late models from themselves.

Besides that, there's usually some good paying regional options now competing on the same weekend as the World. Those events keep some closer to home when they weigh the cost/benefit analysis of traveling to a show which they might not even make even if it is "only" 85-90 cars.

There are multi-varied reasons for this beyond the obvious one, expense.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

I'm going to say 20yrs. back then it didn't cost a half million dollars for a tow rig, EMPTY. You have big time ownership money in the sport today. Rolling chassis, 2 of them at a minimum, did not cost 100k. Motors that used to cost 30K are pushing 70 today. Do I need to keep making comparisons? I understand inflation and supplies cost, labor has risen, not as fast but I'm sure longhorn and rocket are paying welders top dollar. Days of firing up your might welder or putting the guts back in the aluminum block on the engine stand are over. That's what is wrong with racing today, you no longer build anything. You pick up the phone and order it.

I wonder when a team rebuilt anything today. Rings and bearings, a carb, you get the picture.

This list has been updated
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

The locals did ok back then, the #11 Lawrence motorsports car had Brian Ruhlman and Bowersock in that car, they made the main event most years. Jeep Van Wormer, Casebolt, Chamberlin, Lawhorn, Stinson, Chinn, Gilpin, K-Rob, Shane Yoder, Kris Patterson, and Jerry Rice just to name a few. Back then Eldora ran probably 12-16 late model events each year. Now the motivation for locals to build a car is gone, they barely race late models there, heck, they barely race there at all anymore, it resembles more of a nascar track than a small time track anymore. sad. anyways, have a fantastic day!

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    That got shut down before then I believe. I dont remember seeing a guy with 2 cars in those years, but i could be wrong.
    My first World 100 was 1995, and they couldn't enter 2 cars then.
    The reason I remember is because Bloomquist had Dale McDowell in an 18x car, so that if Dale made the race, but Scott didn't, he could jump into his car and start tail end. They said that also the 99 of Johnny Johnson was available for the same. I don't know what the rules were for driver swaps, but that is how it was explained to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Interesting, I seem to remember several locals making heats and big show. New 3 day format kills locals
    “Zero chance” was a poor choice of words. I should have said not much of a chance. A few of them did make it happen, as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerHarvickFan View Post
    My first World 100 was 1995, and they couldn't enter 2 cars then. The reason I remember is because Bloomquist had Dale McDowell in an 18x car, so that if Dale made the race, but Scott didn't, he could jump into his car and start tail end. They said that also the 99 of Johnny Johnson was available for the same. I don't know what the rules were for driver swaps, but that is how it was explained to me.
    In the late 1980’s and early 1990’s quite a few teams were bringing two cars. Then they would race whichever one qualified the best. I think Earl put a stop to that in about 1992 or so, because he said he was running out of space in the pits.

I also heard that street stocks ran during the early a.m. hours of the World 100s *up through the 80's*

Eldora has honestly become a joke in the past 5 to 8 years. Its honestly sad. Just look at this past weekend. Thursday paid a Million to win, Friday paid $20k, Saturday paid $175k. 90 laps of sprint car racing (the million even had a fuel break to change tires!) and not one single pass for the lead!

They now have the 2 biggest late model races of the year left to go. Should be super exciting!

The product on the track is horrible in Sprints and Late Models. People keep buying tickets and cheap beer so Tony will continue on. Nothing will change until cars and fans stop watching/going. 'Merica!

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    Eldora has honestly become a joke in the past 5 to 8 years. Its honestly sad. Just look at this past weekend. Thursday paid a Million to win, Friday paid $20k, Saturday paid $175k. 90 laps of sprint car racing (the million even had a fuel break to change tires!) and not one single pass for the lead!

They now have the 2 biggest late model races of the year left to go. Should be super exciting!

The product on the track is horrible in Sprints and Late Models. People keep buying tickets and cheap beer so Tony will continue on. Nothing will change until cars and fans stop watching/going. 'Merica!

Whatever....

I'll be there, with about 25,000 others.

Eldora is more than just a race...

Don't like it?? Stay home.

I always liked Bob Memmer early on. But my opinion changed when he began to sound like Adolf Hitler on track microphones. He gave this very seriuos speech at Barren County Speedway acting like he was the new ruler of late model racing and UMP. "We are organized! blah blah blah. He seemed to take his position like a real control freak. One rule Bob had that fortunately most did not conform to was making the side driver window a huge opening, thus makiing the roof of the car raise quite a bit and making the guys cars that went along with it look rather odd and funny with the roof so high.

Then one night at a UMP event at Florence Speedway, some awful sicko cut his beloved dog that he always had with him at the track. It happened in his vehicle. It died when it was cut open at the stomach. That was so sad and just horrible. I felt very sad for Bob and you could tell that really hurt him bad from then on.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    Eldora has honestly become a joke in the past 5 to 8 years. Its honestly sad. Just look at this past weekend. Thursday paid a Million to win, Friday paid $20k, Saturday paid $175k. 90 laps of sprint car racing (the million even had a fuel break to change tires!) and not one single pass for the lead! They now have the 2 biggest late model races of the year left to go. Should be super exciting!The product on the track is horrible in Sprints and Late Models. People keep buying tickets and cheap beer so Tony will continue on. Nothing will change until cars and fans stop watching/going. 'Merica!
    To be fair there were a LOT of slider passes going on, all through the field, even though they mostly finished where they started. It wasn’t the best racing I’ve ever seen, but it was above average in my book. Tony definitely treats the fans right, just like Earl always did.

Takes up too much time to qualify all the cobs that have no business being out there. I'm good with a car count under 100. You've still got the best of the best there. Only 28 or 30 start the World 100 anyway.

3 non qualifier features at 2am we're excellent racing after all that qualifying and gave them something to race for. Not to mention those were far better competition than your typical Saturday night local track.

Some of them cobs are who buy your photos Trax, SMH.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    Some of them cobs are who buy your photos Trax, SMH.
    NOBODY buys my photos... I pretty much quit taking them. Everyone just saves them for free. No money in it. I just quit giving them the product. Got some mediocre camera equipment for sale....

Quote Originally Posted by Trax53 View Post
    NOBODY buys my photos... I pretty much quit taking them. Everyone just saves them for free. No money in it. I just quit giving them the product. Got some mediocre camera equipment for sale....
    I tried checking out your site but got a warning the connection wasn't private.

102 cars in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy 37 View Post
    Whatever....

I'll be there, with about 25,000 others.

Eldora is more than just a race...

Don't like it?? Stay home.
    This is part of why Eldora don't race as good as it should. This bone head attitude toward going to eldora for the party. How bout if you came for the puke fest stay home? More folks would rather see a good race. Morons like you keep the seats full I guess.

Sliding sideways, you are spot on! These people have this attitude, Ill watch a bucket of sh!t, if it means I can get plastered and party all night. When the expectations of good racing is gone, this is what you wind up with. And notice the crowds keep getting older and older, very few young fans at these type of races anymore. Trust me when the drunkards die off, Eldora will be hallowed grounds. save the sport.