Thread: Engine Opinions

Default Engine Opinions

Been tossing around the idea of using up some old modified open motor parts up in a local "outlaw" hobby class. The engine rules are pretty vague; stock appearing, no compression rule, aluminum intake OK. The only restraints are a stock 2 barrel rochester, stock ignition, and require exhaust manifolds. I have a 406ci flat top with dart platinum iron eagle 215cc heads that are milled to 47cc chambers to get about 14:1 compression. I think they are 2.05" Int and 1.60" exhaust valves, but will have to check. It has a dart hi-rise aluminum intake. Not sure on the camshaft as its been a while since i've had it apart and can't remember whats in it.I'd like to hear thoughts on how this combination will run as is with a 2 barrel and manifolds? Will it be way too lazy? I'm open to putting some different heads/cam and intake on it, but figured if I got em I'd try to run them. If it has a "big" cam in it, should I look into changing it? Should I consider a different intake? I have a Weiand aluminum intake I could stick on there. Looking to go out and be half-way competitive with it and take a stab at engine assembly. Any help is appreciated and let me know if there are any questions.Thanks,Banana

sounds like it would be a great engine for this , only thing to consider is cam shaft , might need a different grind to go with that carb.....

Like fastford says cam grind will be crucial with that Rochester...and those 215cc heads.The 2 barrels love compression though and go with Dart intake over the Weiand.

Agreed. Match up a cam with that rochester.

Sounds like a fun class until someone starts dumping a ton of money into theirs like all classes are these days.
    Consider you are running a 2 barrel carb, compression ratio, restrictive manifolds, decent size heads, car weight and the track size in choosing your camshaft. The camshaft will make or break the combination especially with anything restricted like your exhaust will be. Good luck.

Call Camcraft Cams for his ideas...Charles specializes in those 2bbl deals. He's in NC.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I'd swap the cam and give it a try and see how it runs. Stuff some gear to it and let ER eat. Get with Dayton Umholtz at KP carbs or Jet and get a carb worked over. Give Mike Jones at Jones Cam Design a call he can fix you up with a cam that will run!
    Josh K.

Allstar has aftermarket Ram Horn center dump manifolds made with racing in mind. Probably be worth it to look into them. Trying to find a original set of center dump ram horns in good shape may not be easy. Having them thermal coated inside and out will also help flow, and heat control.
    Also get a good distributor. if going HEI route, get a Davis DUI, or one that has the vacuum advance locked out, and timing advance limited or locked out. Also the recluctor wheel, and pickup coil deal correctly phased.
    If you can go with as MSD do so, stock appearing is kinda vague.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Thanks for all the advice! Will be looking into all of the above. JustAddDirt, you pretty much hit all the pinpointed outlawed parts, ha! Specifically says no center dump manifolds. We can run HEI, DUI, or MSD aslong as there isn't an external coil and ignition box.

Quote Originally Posted by bananahammack00 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice! Will be looking into all of the above. JustAddDirt, you pretty much hit all the pinpointed outlawed parts, ha! Specifically says no center dump manifolds. We can run HEI, DUI, or MSD aslong as there isn't an external coil and ignition box.
    LT1 manifolds are the next best. Port the heck out of them, and fill the egr, air injection, or o2 sensor with weld and then port them too. Cut the outlet flanges off and then weld your shorty pipes directly onto the manifold. if there is no rule for exhaust pipe dia, run 3" mandrel bent pipe.

Stock 2g rochester is also open for discussion. Do they list any specs for that? Bore size, booster height and ID, base plate size?

http://www.arlingtonraceway.com/imag...tlaw_Rules.pdf Here is the link to the rules. Probably should have just posted them in the first place.

those heads will be terrible with a 2 barrel

Id change the heads and intake a simple set of darn near oem vortec heads and dual plane intake will be a huge improvement. even aftermarket patriot vortecs would be a improvement and they are cheap.