Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greg Hodnett

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbones View Post
    I don't think the sign killed Johnson, it was the open wall he slammed.
    It wasn’t the open wall. After he hit the sign, the car landed cage first on the top of the wall.

Default My favorites

In no particular order:

1.)Greg
    2.)Bobby Allen
    3.)Tim Kuhn
    4.)Dave Blaney
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Absolutely sickening, god bless his family!!!

This is really sad news. I have been watching a lot of Sprint car racing here lately and watch a lot races with Him and Lance Dewease.

R.I.P Greg

They ran a tribute video on the big screen at Eldora before tonight's 4 crown event.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    They ran a tribute video on the big screen at Eldora before tonight's 4 crown event.
    I can almost bet there was some onions cut man. I’d be one, I think a lot of people liked Greg and respected him.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

jeff Swindell put out a statement on his fb page. they grew up together.

TY MI, well done video.

Quote Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
    I urge anyone to read it, thanks man. That is well said, and just really cool and heart wrenching at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    TY MI, well done video.
    Can't believe it got 5 thumbs down...

Can't believe it got 5 thumbs down...
    Either hit the wrong button, aholes, or they did it to thumb down that another driver was killed.

Quote Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
    I follow quite a few Memphis area racing groups and racing people and there have been a lot of nice remembrances and old pictures posted in the last couple days. Some great pics of Greg racing in the old B Car class around the Memphis area have popped up from when he was probably in his late teens. I'd post them here but I'm really bad at that stuff.

I know in his late teens he was helping duce turrill on the 8D of doug wolfgang.

from sherry hodnett…

I’m so sorry I haven’t reached out to any of you , I’ve been overwhelmed by all of your messages and have not had the heart to look at most of them . I feel like my heart has been ripped from my chest. I wanted everyone to know there will be a viewing at Grace Fellowship Church 1405 Seven Valleys Road , York Pa 17408 from 3:00 until 8:00 on Tuesday and a service to follow on Wednesday at 10:30 am open to anyone wishing to attend. If anyone wants to share any memories, or speak at the service , please reach out to me no later than noon on Monday and let me know so we can be prepared! Thank you all for the incredible support !
    Last edited by smith19; 09-22-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Back in the day there was a 7TW Jeff Swindell, 8TW Greg Hodnett, 9TW Joe Gaerte.

Rico Abreu was in wreck at Eldora. Says on Twitter he left the hospital and was headed back to Eldora to watch the rest of the events.

Also Spencer Bayston was checked out at the infield care center then transported to a local hospital after a violent flip during the midget feature.

Doesn't matter what track or racing division it's a dangerous sport. Period.

poor rico. 2nd year in a row...

Quote Originally Posted by dirt junkie View Post
    I know that racing is a dangerous sport as does anyone involved but those dam push and flips have gotta be the worst
    R.I.P. and condolences to all affected by this
    Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBandit12 View Post
    All i can say is these sprint car guys should seriously move on to another race car with full bodies. RIP Greg
    It is ill advised to respond to such ignoramus's and I'll undoubtedly regret that I did but sometimes I don't take my own good advise.

Open wheel drivers, and I mean the really good ones, are compelled to race them because they are the most difficult to drive and require significantly more balls than probably any other type of racecar. Thomas Meseraull said as much in a podcast not long ago. He also said that the danger, skill and bravery required to be very successful as an open wheel driver is one of the main reasons he does it. When you take all that away and resort to racing cars that are generally less dangerous it removes much of the challenge. I've never turned a lap in competition but I can see what T-Mez is saying.

Jack Hewitt told me recently during a personal conversation, actually it was at The Springfield Mile a little over a month ago, that we the living should not grieve too heavily over the passing of guys like Greg Hodnett, Jason Johnson, Brian Clauson and Jason Leffler, among a few others. He said they left this life doing what they absolutely loved to do and he said that is a fact that can be said of VERY few people who pass through this world.

Jack has far and away earned the chops to be able to say that. Besides being one of the best drivers that ever lived, sprint cars nearly killed him twice, and as a result his entire right side is partially paralyzed. In spite of all that he doesn't have a bitter thought or bone in his body. He said if it was safe and easy everybody would be able to do it, as it is only a select few are capable. Personally, I'll take Jacks word over either one of you two peckerwood's all day every day.
    Last edited by CIRF; 09-22-2018 at 10:41 PM.