Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lucas at Rome

Quote Originally Posted by champion24 View Post
    Rome ran on Fridays around 2000 ish!! (My mind is slipping in middle age!!) Dixie John knows for sure, maybe he or someone else will chime in! Personally, I could do Fridays easier than Sundays! Monday is going to hurt! Hope the racing is worth it! And I still have my World 100 armband, if you need it & will be at Rome.
    You are likely thinking of the one year that Dixie and Rome swapped. Ran Dixie one Saturday, then Rome the next Saturday. Only lasted one season.

We went to the Lucas show at Rome in 2008 when Billy Moyer set the new track record of 12.78 and EPJ won the race. Great show and it was on a Friday. Thereafter, they’ve had it on Sundays.
    Trip the light fantastic!

Bama’s Best Jason Hiett has it on his schedule
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Who is a Longhorn dealer but driving an XR1, weird...

That 12:78 lap Moyer drove at Rome was sheer perfection. Car, driver, track were all on kill at that moment.

Agree Dixie was the better race last year.

Dixie always draws more cars and Rome usually has the better racing. Not sure why on the car counts unless racing on a Sunday night is a factor.

I actually think the Dixie race was the better of the two the last couple of years. Was great seeing Dale McDowell win in from 9th in 2016 chasing down Bloomer and T-Mac for the win. The next night Darrell Lanigan just flat out ran away with the Rome win.

i dont know if i would go that far Crow , but im glad he is representing ..........

Add 16 Horton to non Lucas guys. No Cat or Hickman. Sidenote: Who is Bama's best then? We'll have to work on those lists in the off season!!

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    i dont know if i would go that far Crow , but im glad he is representing ..........
    Hiett has won at TST, Ft Payne, EAMS, Boyd, Senoia, N Ga, Rome, Dixie, Cleveland, Cherokee. He has Southern All-Stars, MSCCS, Ultimate, and unsanctioned special event wins. And one of a very small hand full of Bama drivers thats made Lucas Oil and Outlaw feature fields. Several limited late model specials wins. Name another current late model driver from Alabama with that resume.
    Last edited by dirt crow; 09-28-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

all that may be true , but calling some one the best requires more than one good year , also dillan tidemore and TJ Alfred out ran him once this year on half the budget , but as usual , you have your opinion and i have mine , I am glad he is going though.........

Those 2 you mentioned, no where near the talent Hiett has. And I grew up with TJ. They rarely ever go try to compete out of state let alone win like Hiett. And I also didn’t mention the fact that Hiett did so well at Eldora couple years back he started on the front row of a heat for the World 100. Trust me. Hiett is the best Bama can offer right now.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

And Hietts stats are from several years, not one.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

15th last night , i guess your right , thats the best we got........Ive been around hiett since he was 16 , he has tore up a bunch of cars getting to this "BEST" , watched him use a lapper up last time he was at tst , better be glad it wsa not me because he would not have won that race, he does have talent , but he was a smart azz then and still is.......
    Last edited by fastford; 09-30-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Know them both pretty well, 2 different types of people and drivers. TJ does all his own work, engine to set up, which he should since that's what he does as part of his living. Hiett is a great driver but has a crew to do his work and his dad setting up his car. Both are great drivers but at TST rarely race against each other. TJ is very consistent, rarely changes lines, is just smooth as can be and very easy on equipment. Hiett is fast and runs consistently lap times, but always runs different lines, is a little harder on equipment. TJ is self funded and Hiett is very well funded. Just my observations on both from knowing them and being around them.

TJ is a driver that if he feels he has a chance he races. But if he’s in the back, he pulls it in and waits for another day. Hiett goes for it. And sometimes you gotta go for it. That’s Overton, Sheppard, Pierce style. I like that. ....do it all on your own, have it handed to you, own your own stuff, drive someone else’s stuff, none of that matters on how good a driver you are. Your a wheelman or your not. .....and if all you ever do is race at your local one or two tracks, you can never be considered one of the best from any given state. ....finally, Bloomer is the biggest smart a$$, crying a$$, pain in the a$$ there is or has been. But it doesn’t change the fact he can drive and is one of the best if not the best ever.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

I agree totally! I wasnt taking sides either way. Know them both pretty well, wasnt taking sides. I was just starting my observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jk19 View Post
    I agree totally! I wasnt taking sides either way. Know them both pretty well, wasnt taking sides. I was just starting my observations.
    10-4.........
    2023 Races - WoO at TST