Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FALS Sprint Mania 10/5 and 10/6 Rained Out

Cancelled due to the possibility of rain? HUH?

There are a lot of race fans that were excited about this event but are plenty PO'd over what has happened. Fairbury is not looking good at all in this mess.

Casey Shuman, who runs the POWRi WAR Sprint Series, said he was totally blindsided by this mornings news of the cancellation and is scrambling to find an alternative venue to host their final race of their season. Casey had a deal where if a driver was to win the events at Lake Ozark Speedway, Wheatland Speedway and Fairbury he would win a bonus of $20,000.00. Kyle Cummins won at Lake Ozark and Wheatland. Fairbury has created a real dilemma for Casey Shuman. Casey is a first rate guy and shouldn't have been treated like this.

There is something else going on with Fairbury and they basically lied about the weather forecast being the reason for the BS cancellation on their website. A lot of people have lost a lot of trust and respect for the mighty FALS. Sure hope the reason they cancelled was worth the hit to their reputation!

I looked at the long range forecast on Accuweather. Friday 10/5, Sunny and 70 degrees. Saturday 10/6, Mostly cloudy and 67 degrees. I also realize this time of year, you could get anything, so I don't know what forecast that they looked at. Something smells rotten in Denmark.

Kinda ticks me off, as this was going to be our last show of the year spectating. I feel bad for the POWRI series also. Sorry to say, word will get around about not being a "reliable" track to other series that are looking for a track to host a race.

Crash, FALS has finally come clean and has said they cancelled because of Kokomo running the All Stars against them and they were afraid too many cars were going to pull to Kokomo instead of Fairbury and of losing money like they say they did last year.

FALS has pulled some crap in the past. It isn't like something like this hasn't ever happened at FALS. It has been only a few years ago that a mud taxi show was rained out and they had some BS deal where if you had a rain check it was good for just one event but you had to come back 2 or 3 times to see the classes run that were slated to be in action at the rained out event. I lost much of my trust for FALS at that time. Lost the remainder with this most recent crap.

Any open wheel sanction should be somewhat cautious about hooking up with FALS in the future. This news will travel far, wide and fast, as it should. Maybe they can mend fences with POWRi, MOWA & IRA but I'll bet those sanctions will be mighty careful in the future. No wonder FALS can't get even a sniff at getting the USAC National Midgets or Sprints Cars to come to Fairbury. When Levi and Spridge get word of this I'm bettin' they'll take notice for future reference! The track was a rubbered up mess for the WoO Sprints this summer and their push truck organization left plenty to be desired. I reckon FALS just ain't ready for the big time but they seem to be a sacred cow to some folks.

Don't know where you came up with the true version, but their website still has the BS version of possibility of rain.

So they had a choice between saving some money and ruining their reputation, or loosing some money and saving their reputation. Someone made a TERRIBLE choice.

Then they LIED on top of it.

The new regime that took over this year hasn't impressed me much, but this really takes the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash 4 View Post
    Don't know where you came up with the true version, but their website still has the BS version of possibility of rain.

So they had a choice between saving some money and ruining their reputation, or loosing some money and saving their reputation. Someone made a TERRIBLE choice.

Then they LIED on top of it.

The new regime that took over this year hasn't impressed me much, but this really takes the cake.
    Crash, it's on their Facebook page. Last time I looked there were something like 95 comments concerning this situation. Someone posting on behalf of FALS on their timeline came clean and basically said they lied thu their teeth. Casey Shuman said he was totally blindsided but whoever it was posting on behalf of FALS claimed that Kenny Brown of POWRi was fully aware of the situation. Either way Shuman isn't happy and he basically runs the WAR Sprint Series and always has.

Maybe the open wheel fans and competitors aren't all that important to FALS and if that's the case so be it. They do just fine without any open wheel events and with this BS going on they alienated a bunch of open wheel fans. I go to Fairbury several times a year for the late model events, which are top notch, but this deal has greatly diminished our enthusiasm for doing that. If this is how they're going to treat the open wheel contingent then they can cater 100% to mud taxi's.

Thanks CIRF for the explanation of this, all I saw was Shuman's tweet that he was "blindsided" and "looking for a resolution" and I had no idea the context.
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaf67 View Post
    Thanks CIRF for the explanation of this, all I saw was Shuman's tweet that he was "blindsided" and "looking for a resolution" and I had no idea the context.
    No problem RR67. There is a lot more to this deal than anyone outside of FALS management and a select few with the sanctioning bodies know. The average fan will probably never know all the double dealing that went on.

Many of us had high hopes that a USAC National Sprint car and/or National Midget show might be in FALS future, but given these developments it's a safe bet that Levi Jones and Spridge are a little gunshy about climbing into bed with Fairbury.

FALS had to know there would be a huge backlash over this so they must believe it was worth all the very bad publicity. Maybe it is, what do I know, I'm just your run of the mill bleacher jockey. Within the Facebook broohaha there were several WAR competitors that posted and it was abundantly clear they were plenty pissed off. One was a past WAR champion and another was a multiple winner in the WAR series so I'm thinkin' they've got plenty of credibility.

Gonna' be interesting to see what open wheel shows are scheduled at Fairbury in 2019.

I attend FALS most every week and will be doing more traveling next year on sat. I don't care about why, it is the fact that they thought they could get away with calling weather, 2 weeks out.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Crash, it's on their Facebook page.
    Thanks for the info. I don't do Fakebook, never have, never will.

Let's not make it out that the series is so innocent in this whole fiasco.

I am not, in any way, saying that FALS handled this in the correct manner, but the fact is, they are still owed a significant amount of money from last year's race. It is my understanding that as of a couple weeks ago the series still had not paid it.

I cannot say that this was a factor in the decision to cancel, but if it was me making the call it sure would have been.

So, you can trash FALS for "poor business practices", but if you do, then the series needs to be called out for them as well.

For the series to act as if FALS "screwed them over" while they are not paying what is owed for a year is a little hypocritical, don't ya think??

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by skids View Post
    Let's not make it out that the series is so innocent in this whole fiasco.

I am not, in any way, saying that FALS handled this in the correct manner, but the fact is, they are still owed a significant amount of money from last year's race. It is my understanding that as of a couple weeks ago the series still had not paid it.

I cannot say that this was a factor in the decision to cancel, but if it was me making the call it sure would have been.

So, you can trash FALS for "poor business practices", but if you do, then the series needs to be called out for them as well.

For the series to act as if FALS "screwed them over" while they are not paying what is owed for a year is a little hypocritical, don't ya think??
    Since when do series pay the track? My experience is its always the other way round, track pays sanction/series fees... If otherwise please explain, I'm all ears.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by CageFaraday View Post
    Since when do series pay the track? My experience is its always the other way round, track pays sanction/series fees... If otherwise please explain, I'm all ears.
    I don't know details as I am no longer affiliated with the track. I do, however, know people who are.

Whether you think it makes sense or not, it is the case, nonetheless.

Which of the sanctions owes Fairbury money from last year and how much? Lets get specific with irrefutable facts. What's bandied around on a message board usually doesn't pass the smell test.

Nothing at all hypocritical about wondering why a facility would schedule a show with an allegedly financially questionable sanction and then cancel the event based upon a debt owed from an event held almost a year ago almost 2 weeks prior to the event and bold face lie about it. I understand that Fairy is a sacred cow in your world but no matter what the financial ramifications are/were Fairy looks very sketchy and should be scrutinized big time in the future by whoever is running there.

Don't schedule sanctions that don't pay their bills, if in fact that is the case.

Produce the evidence that what you're saying is 100% true. You posting it without the goods to prove it's true doesn't make it gospel, now does it. Face it, Fairy stepped in it but good regardless of the details.

I, for one, am waiting with baited breath! LOL!

Which of the sanctions owes Fairbury money from last year and how much? Lets get specific with irrefutable facts. What's bandied around on a message board usually doesn't pass the smell test.

Nothing at all hypocritical about wondering why a facility would schedule a show with an allegedly financially questionable sanction and then cancel the event based upon a debt owed from an event held almost a year ago almost 2 weeks prior to the event and bold face lie about it. I understand that Fairy is a sacred cow in your world but no matter what the financial ramifications are/were Fairy looks very sketchy and should be scrutinized big time in the future by whoever is running there.

Don't schedule sanctions that don't pay their bills, if in fact that is the case.

Produce the evidence that what you're saying is 100% true. You posting it without the goods to prove it's true doesn't make it gospel, now does it. Face it, Fairy stepped in it but good regardless of the details.

I, for one, am waiting with baited breath! LOL!
    You need to relax. I am no longer affiliated with FALS in ANY way. There was a time I was and at that time I defended the decisions made because I had a part in making them and knew what was behind them. That is no longer the case.

It is not a "sacred cow" to me. I have disagreed with many things since my departure and it's been hard to keep my mouth shut, but for the most part I have.

In this case, I agree with you that FALS "stepped in it". There was NO reason to make up an excuse related to weather. Just call a spade a spade and tell people the reason. I still don't know the full reasoning. I simply could not sit back and let the series appear to be totally innocent when I had knowledge that it owed money from last year. Again, I don't know that the money was any more the reason than the weather, but I know what I would have done.

I cannot prove this to you like you want. All I can say is that my source is directly involved and I do not wish to get said source into trouble.

Whether or not you believe me is irrelevant to me. I know what I know. That's enough for me.

You need to relax. I am no longer affiliated with FALS in ANY way. There was a time I was and at that time I defended the decisions made because I had a part in making them and knew what was behind them. That is no longer the case.

It is not a "sacred cow" to me. I have disagreed with many things since my departure and it's been hard to keep my mouth shut, but for the most part I have.

In this case, I agree with you that FALS "stepped in it". There was NO reason to make up an excuse related to weather. Just call a spade a spade and tell people the reason. I still don't know the full reasoning. I simply could not sit back and let the series appear to be totally innocent when I had knowledge that it owed money from last year. Again, I don't know that the money was any more the reason than the weather, but I know what I would have done.

I cannot prove this to you like you want. All I can say is that my source is directly involved and I do not wish to get said source into trouble.

Whether or not you believe me is irrelevant to me. I know what I know. That's enough for me.
    Ya' can't/won't prove anything, ya' can't/won't name the sanction that is in financial arrears to Fairbury, BUT, you have a highly credible anonymous source who desperately wishes to stay anonymous. Sounds like someone needs to grow a set on behalf of FALS! LOLOL!!

Why would the FALS brain trust schedule a sanction that owes them money from a show in 2017...................AGAIN................ then cancel the show they should never have scheduled in the first place partially because this phantom sanction allegedly owes them money. Does anyone else think FALS maybe shouldn't have rescheduled a dead beat sanction?

And in cancelling they fail to let Casey Shuman know and they put him in a huge bind. Sounds like a horse **** deal and stupidity working in unison.

What is it that you want me, or anyone else to believe? You're not offering anything but bull****.

You know what you know but shhhhhh, you mustn't tell. Sure am glad it's irrelevant whether anyone believes you or not 'cause it's a safe bet no one does, for sure I don't.

It's good that you cleared the air and set the record straight once and for all! Don't know what we'd do without your insightful and informative explanation! LOL!!
    Last edited by CIRF; 09-28-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Exclamation Is FALS falling on hard times?

I call BS, nobody would schedule "another" event if they were still owed money. Then to follow that up with a lie 2 weeks out is ridiculous. New management at FALS obviously isn't on par with previous regimes. I think the "New" group is probably thin on money of its own and are scrambling to hang on. Then they leak a little info to an "Ex" to disseminate on message boards/social media in a passive/aggressive attempt to save face. I think they're financial house must be shaky and they haven't made as much money as they had imagined they would running FALS so they cook up a flimsy transparent excuse 2 weeks ahead to escape having their financial situation become known. Just a theory since I don't know anyone at the track, but that is how things go. Tracks/Promoters pay sanctions, not the other way around, period.
    Last edited by CageFaraday; 09-29-2018 at 11:30 AM.

I call BS, nobody would schedule "another" event if they were still owed money. Then to follow that up with a lie 2 weeks out is ridiculous. New management at FALS obviously isn't on par with previous regimes. I think the "New" group is probably thin on money of its own and are scrambling to hang on. Then they leak a little info to an "Ex" to disseminate on message boards/social media in a passive/aggressive attempt to save face. I think they're financial house must be shaky and they haven't made as much money as they had imagined they would running FALS so they cook up a flimsy transparent excuse 2 weeks ahead to escape having their financial situation become known. Just a theory since I don't know anyone at the track, but that is how things go. Tracks/Promoters pay sanctions, not the other way around, period.
    I agree 100% with everything you said, Cage. Everything except the part about FALS having a financial "situation". I have no way of knowing for sure but I attend a lot of races at FALS during the course of the racing season and FALS is a veritable cash cow. They host the biggest dirt late model race in the state of Illinois and they pack the place for the UMP Summernats and for a couple of mortified specials.

Thumbs up

I agree 100% with everything you said, Cage. Everything except the part about FALS having a financial "situation". I have no way of knowing for sure but I attend a lot of races at FALS during the course of the racing season and FALS is a veritable cash cow. They host the biggest dirt late model race in the state of Illinois and they pack the place for the UMP Summernats and for a couple of mortified specials.
    I agree they make the ca$h, but what has management done with it? May just be greed towards end of season. Might be they see the WAR race as not as a big a money maker and wanted out of any financial obligation/risk. Their behavior speaks volumes to those of us with experience. Hey, did you see where Southern States POWRi Midgets is putting on a non-wing sprint show here in Georgia in November!!! I'm ecstatic, suppose to be a new series too in 2019!!

I agree they make the ca$h, but what has management done with it? May just be greed towards end of season. Might be they see the WAR race as not as a big a money maker and wanted out of any financial obligation/risk. Their behavior speaks volumes to those of us with experience. Hey, did you see where Southern States POWRi Midgets is putting on a non-wing sprint show here in Georgia in November!!! I'm ecstatic, suppose to be a new series too in 2019!!
    That's great news, Cage. Will this be a WAR show?

Are there enough wingless sprint cars in the State of Georgia to get a good field of cars? That's some pretty solid stock car country down there.