Default Mark Richards copied a Bullit

This is a test of the moderation system.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Lightbulb BULLIT Chassis by Ray Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    It was my understanding that the first (3) Rockets were actually built by Ray Callahan using Mark Richards specs and that Mark was a Bullit dealer at the time. Also that after the 3 were built Ray said he wasn't going to build anymore for him. I would love to find a mid 90's Bulllit that hasn't been butchered up. Ray built fantastic state of the art cars, IMHO. Anybody know if its true that Ray got his start working at CJ's? His cars never looked like CJ's but that is what I heard. Ray was definitely one of my hero's.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    I’m sure if you asked Mark he may tell you how he started.

You could always talk about Bobby’s ummmm, sister?
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

It is true that the first Rocket's were essentially "modified" Bullits that Ray built for Mark when Mark was a dealer. And yes, Ray didn't want to continue to build them so Mark went out on his own.
    Ray was Gerald Dixon's mechanic in the 70s and Gerald started building his own cars in the early 80s (Featherweight chassis) but he didn't sell them to people (that I know of). I'm not sure what (if any) Ray's involvement with Gerald was by then. Not sure at all about him working for Rayburn.
    Gerald is a good friend of mine so I'll ask him next time I'm at his shop. He's still got his speed shop in Sellersburg but his daughter mostly runs it now. Really good folks.
    One thing is for sure: the DLM chassis game has some deep roots in southern Indiana.
    My dad keeps telling me we need to write up a history book on it before all of the people that know how it all went down are gone.
    Last edited by Matt49; 09-29-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Thumbs up My hero's have always been chassis builders

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    It is true that the first Rocket's were essentially "modified" Bullits that Ray built for Mark when Mark was a dealer. And yes, Ray didn't want to continue to build them so Mark went out on his own.
    Ray was Gerald Dixon's mechanic in the 70s and Gerald started building his own cars in the early 80s (Featherweight chassis) but he didn't sell them to people (that I know of). I'm not sure what (if any) Ray's involvement with Gerald was by then. Not sure at all about him working for Rayburn.
    Gerald is a good friend of mine so I'll ask him next time I'm at his shop. He's still got his speed shop in Sellersburg but his daughter mostly runs it now. Really good folks.
    One thing is for sure: the DLM chassis game has some deep roots in southern Indiana.
    My dad keeps telling me we need to write up a history book on it before all of the people that know how it all went down are gone.
    That's a book I'd buy. Another bit of interesting chassis trivia. Freddy Smith's father worked at Holman-Moody during the hey day and Holman-Moody built Freddy a dirt car. Its my understanding Barry Wright went up and got some measurements off the front end and incorporated them into his car. I think everybody gets inspiration/influence from others, very few go straight from scratch, most modified factory stuff as a starting point. I myself have been influenced in my approach by Frank McClendon, Barry Wright, CJ Rayburn and Ray Callahan. With a little Jig-A-Lo thrown in for good measure.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

With all that said,you are missing the most influential chassis builder,(TIGER TOM PISTONE)
    you just got greased
    http://www.goddardwarrior.net

Quote Originally Posted by lazermod3 View Post
    With all that said,you are missing the most influential chassis builder,(TIGER TOM PISTONE)
    Are you sure about that ?

Ed Howe played a key role in the direction rocket chassis followed.

Holman Moody back in the day was a big time builder, and primarily Fords. People associate them with NASCAR but they built a lot of stuff down to the short track (dirt and asphalt), USAC stocks and Trans Am level. I remember seeing photos of Freddie Smith's Holman Moody Mustang. Beautiful race car and I was surprised to see that he drove a Mustang back in the day.

The thing about those Holman Moody cars from back then is that they used the upper A arm lower control arm front suspension with a strut tube running back to the frame. GM designs from back then were still using upper and lower A arms. That was when cars followed a more factory design. That Ford front suspension idea is basically what became popular and copied through the years and the basic design is still being used. I do recall a prominent asphalt racer in my area who built his own chassis back in the day with a stock stub GM clip using Ford Galaxie lowers cobbled in. That car ran successfully even when everyone else was buying tube cars.
    Political correctness,...is the inability to speak the truth about the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Was at WRC while Mark was working on their first attempt at a mono-leaf 5th coil set-up on a 5th design Howe. He had rear-end under car doing a mock-up and was about to take it back apart to finish welding when I got there. I asked what I could do to help. We had only spoken to each other few times before that. Soon as we started to disassemble, phone rang. It was Ed and Mark set on the floor watching me drop the rear end while they discussed changes. After, he cut the shackle end mounts off frame and remade it to change roll center. Suspect they were borrowing spring locations from a Rayburn...

I never believed the racing business was a steady way to make a living. I screwed up. Should have worked for Mark from day one. Oh well.

Yea KTM, I also had an opportunity to work in dirt racing. Had a successful business model going and I chickened out and thought it would never sustain itself over the winter months. Boy was I wrong.

What has become of the remnants of CJ's operation since his passing?
    Make America Godly Again
    2 Chronicles 7:14

Question: who was the very first late model Chasis builder?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Every View Post
    What has become of the remnants of CJ's operation since his passing?
    His grandson, Shaw, has the shop now. I believe he is building some cars by a different name.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    Exactly I grew up not far from Ed Howe’s shop in Beaverton Michigan Richards worked there when he was young and credits him with not only how to build a race car but how to run a business

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire2dirtracing View Post
    Question: who was the very first late model Chasis builder?
    Fox, I believe you know that answer.

I'm going to say , if I remember correctly, Canadian Stk Car Products ? Really think I'm wrong on the name, O well.

^^^ Actually I do not. I am thinking that I was told It was Boscoe Lowe?
    I am talking abou custom fabricated racing Chasis.