Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Mastersbilt Gen X HELP!

Have 2011 Gen X Mastersbilt. Car absolutely sucks in the slick. Recently added a LR traction shock, no help. We’ve indexed the birdcage, moved 5th coil, moved bars etc, car still terrible in the slick. It’s like the car stays on top of the track, will not plant the tires.SpringsRF 300RR 250LF 500LR 175

You haven't told us what your actual handling problem is which would be helpful.
    That being said, if you're taking big swings at it and nothing is helping you, something is fundamentally wrong like scale number, something bent, something in a bind, etc.
    And this may sound crazy but check your tire pressure gauge.

What do you have on it for a right front shock ?

Might help to go back to the base setup and start over....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Right kooser , a 375 rf on an MB1 oil shock with a pair of 225’s on the back with a 12” drop straight from the 2011 set up sheet Panhard at 8.5 center on the pinion rear bars square and and he’ll broom the xr1 / long horn / club 29/ sweet Bloomquist cars with the stuff they have worked on for the last 8 years .... especially when it gets slick ....

Hucky.... I sense a bit of sarcasm in your reply...
    Class of 2019

Yes that is correct. I don’t think the set up sheet changed from like 2008. Driving off the corner was not their strong suit even back in 2011 against the other 2011 stuff. I have a brand new 2012 sitting In my garage that I bought and built in 2012 but never raced. I might run it this year. The first thing I will do is build an underslung to make the chassis more rigid so it responds to adjustments , change the tube lengths and the left rear 4 link mounts and I honestly think the car will be good with 2018 shock technology.

Been helping a friend with roughly same year car. Have done similar stuff as you describe but what we fight with it is constant bottoming out. And it flexes way too much. When it's not bottoming out it's not very good lol

Masters was very clear at their seminar that the car will be it’s very best the first night and go downhill from there. Having a fexible race car allows you “ room for error “ I guess but it also doesn’t respond to adjustments. I plan to add a few more bars in addition to the underslung. The front has a decent amount of clearance I will just shim the bump spring to go solid before the frame hits. It’s a really nice car that I spent a lot of time building and it’s wOuld be a shame to never race it lol

We have two smackdowns, and I hope the Gen X has better clearance from bottoming. The stock one bottoms at 2 3/4” and the one we raised the cross member on will go to just shy of 4” on the RF. Just dealing with that was a big improvement on updated shock and spring setups.
    Last edited by Nesmith14b; 10-19-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Tader has a nice new design flat plate front cross member...$200.00. Going to use one in my Smackdown.
    Class of 2019

The main issue we have is lack of forward drive.

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    What do you have on it for a right front shock ?
    Car has Ohlins from Viper Motorsports. They came off Eckert’s car. Specifically built for the GenX

Quote Originally Posted by genx5 View Post
    The main issue we have is lack of forward drive.
    Are you running a 300 RF spring with or without a bumpstop?

Quote Originally Posted by RaceEngineer View Post
    Are you running a 300 RF spring with or without a bumpstop?
    No bump stop.

Quote Originally Posted by genx5 View Post
    No bump stop.
    That's way too soft of a spring on that car to not have a bump stop. You are completely de-wedging the car and should not expect any forward drive with that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    That's way too soft of a spring on that car to not have a bump stop. You are completely de-wedging the car and should not expect any forward drive with that setup.
    Exactly what I would have said.

Before the spring smasher days, we ran a 250 rf with the Christmas tree bump from RE with good success.

Yes too soft of a rf is going to dewedge the car and kill drive but too stiff isn’t going to have the car fully over on the RF which is going to cause it to not be fully hiked which is also going to kill drive and sidebite from lack of dynamic j bar and drive angle on the left rear. I ran a gen x car for a while I would go softer on the right front and run a bump spring. Unless your at eldora when it’s muddy. when you get traction in the car it’s not going to turn without a big zero point on the right front. That was the “ magic “ tater found in that genesis right front shock they cleaned up with in 2011. The problem is it’s not 2011 anymore and if they came back with that identical car and don O’Neil in 2018 they would get spanked.

are the newer cars gilpin and casebolt are running a completely different style? alot of MB down here but i never liked how much they flex out