Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I’ve always wondered what a digressive setup would do on the RF...The “preload” would get you to just touching the bump stop, and then the rate spring rate drops dramatically and now most all the rebound has to fight against is a piece of rubber. Not sure it would work, but something I’ve always wondered about.

Where are most guys running there RF? Inboard or outboard on the lower?

The further from the ball joint you move the lower shock mount the more likely you are to bend the control arm when you bottom out. If I wanted a softer spring and shock I would make those adjustments instead of moving it in ... that’s probably because I’ve bowed a lot of lower a arms running a bump stop or a non barrel spring ....

Quote Originally Posted by MBR Performance View Post
    Where are most guys running there RF? Inboard or outboard on the lower?
    Most in this area (southern Indiana - MasterSbilt's back yard) are using the inboard hole.

I don’t have any experience with a MB chassis specifically, but generally it depends on the Track, driver, etc. There’s no right answer for what’s “better” or they would quit giving the option. You can usually guess with the style of track, driving style, power levels, etc. which will be best, but I’ve seen the opposite of what SHOULD work be better too. It’s what makes these cars such a challenge.

What are your all’s opinions on the short bottom left bar?

Quotes not working but answering the short bottom left bar question...

It's going to decrease overall indexing and potentially limit your overall travel. Both bad in my opinion.

What if he had a throttle push through the center and he made sure it didn’t limit travel ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Most in this area (southern Indiana - MasterSbilt's back yard) are using the inboard hole.
    That location would magnify any bump stop ratchet-down issues.

Since it’s a Mastersbilt thread, what are MBH cars? Masters by Heat? Who is Heuy?

Thanks, Krom

Just say no...

Huck,
    I should have also mentioned that the shorter lower bar will increase rear steer. So yes that could help with an on-throttle push but I think there are better ways to solve that problem without changing bar lengths. JMO.

Krom,
    Huey was Huey Wilcoxon. Very sharp setup guy that was a MasterSbilt dealer and made some mods (some of which got incorporated into future "versions" of the cars that came out of Crothersville) and sold them as MBH (MasterSbilt by Huey)
    He passed away about 4 years ago.

The questions need much more clearly defined. The question on the short Lr bottom bar should be “ what effect will it have on the car “ and the increased rear steer and less indexing should make the car rotate the center better. But at some point removing indexing / open load on the LR spring will leave more load on the right rear possibly sticking it harder to the point you may have to slide the car to turn it then once you do that the extra rear steer causes a dog walking effect off the corner instead of helping to turn as intended. It’s crazy how much 15 or 20 pounds of load can change when you are already at the fine line

LR drive angle increases( and decreases) dramatically and faster, the sum of all the probable handling change effects don't add up to a viable adjustment.

Quotes not working but answering the short bottom left bar question...It's going to decrease overall indexing and potentially limit your overall travel. Both bad in my opinion.
    My car has the standard bar lengths for the left side. Would it be beneficial to remove the shortener bracket and run a bar closer to the same length as the left upper?Also worth noting the car has the short right bottom bar.

On this topic I seen pics of the 2018 Casebolt is selling and I see hardly any difference from the new 2012 sitting here ...

The car Casebolt has for sale isn't at all like what's coming off the jig in Crothersville lately and isn't at all like the car Gilpin drove at the World. Up front is mostly the same with the addition of an X brace between the upper frame rails (like a Longhorn) but the rear end doesn't look like anything that has come out of MasterSbilt in the last 20 years. They are actually still tweaking some things and as of last week they are hoping to do some testing yet this year.
    You need to take a look at the pics that Tader posted on their Facebook page on 10/16. Pretty significant differences.
    Last edited by Matt49; 11-08-2018 at 03:54 PM.

The car Casebolt has for sale isn't at all like what's coming off the jig in Crothersville lately and isn't at all like the car Gilpin drove at the World. Up front is mostly the same with the addition of an X brace between the upper frame rails (like a Longhorn) but the rear end doesn't look like anything that has come out of MasterSbilt in the last 20 years. They are actually still tweaking some things and as of last week they are hoping to do some testing yet this year.
    You need to take a look at the pics that Tader posted on their Facebook page on 10/16. Pretty significant differences.
    How will those differences translate to on track performance? My experience with Mbilts are the Smacks and a smack with the genx frontend. It seems like we spent all night trying to keep the car tight enough. We had pretty good success but they were a lotta work!

The extra chassis stiffness is going to make it respond better to adjustments , the 4 link holes look closer and I’m sure additional hike was built in over previous versions. My biggest issue with masters cars is they were way too flexible which made them not respond well enough to adjustments and naturally that also makes them wear out quick. But honestly I think they were on to some stuff in 2011 but it was stuff that needed 2017/18 shock technology to really exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by riddle28 View Post
    are the newer cars gilpin and casebolt are running a completely different style? alot of MB down here but i never liked how much they flex out
    We have owned a mastersbilt and it was a good car for us. Riddle28 what are you talking about how much they flex out?

Why don't they build those tail sections with an x like Ed Howe used so successfully with his dirt chassis? Seems it would take all that flex right out of the back end.

Looking at those Pennsboro pix I posted in the "Wild West" section I'm reminded of the Whip Mulligan car Larry Moore drove in '83. Around 1600 lbs. maybe less. That car would flex out in 20 laps then come back for the next race/practice and run good for another 20 laps until it was junk again.

I don't believe Moore ran that car in the World that year... he brought two cars as I recall.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019