Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default You know what makes a race car cheaper?

It is less grip. Very simple.

Smile

Sitting in the stands is cheaper too.
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

Less grip makes modifieds cheaper; but not by a bunch!

Winning the mega millions would make it cheaper ? Because you wouldn't have to worry about a budget.

Easiest way to take grip away is to take some downforce away. A flat deck at 36” would be a good start to doing that.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

The real truth not owning one but you are correct about the downforce though

Bayko. Add some lm40's and re-right the shock rules. Then we would have a race.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    I can get down with the 40s (and whatever the AR equivalent is) and I’m not looking at shocks as much as I am the stacked springs and bump stops.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

You could give the top 10 a gm metric, and in short time, they would have them hiked up just like a dlm.

The more you try to put technology in a box.....it will end up like Nascrap!

Flat deck...and height teched after qualifying, heats, and feature.

And...go back to a smaller front nose piece w/out the ridiculous flare.

And I'm definitely kidding with this next one....run 'em on Premium Unleaded.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    You could give the top 10 a gm metric, and in short time, they would have them hiked up just like a dlm.The more you try to put technology in a box.....it will end up like Nascrap!
    Hike all you want with no spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    LM 40s are terrible tires and will be cheated. They are only good 2 heat cycles. They are horrible for a budget racer.

If Hoosier can’t make an LM 40 that lasts maybe it’s time to try AR56’s. The LM 40 I passed cars at the Pittsburgher with was 3 years old and was worn out already .... Check the deck after the race at 36” and make them lay spoilers back to 40 degrees ... spoilers and t bars are already adjustable .... they can remove a bunch of turns from the right front or add a valance to get to the 10” maximum on the RF. I am
    Not advocating making super lates into street stocks. We should have aero rules that make a top notch standard bore 430 about all the power you can possibly put down, if guys want to run more than that Great it’s just not going to help them .... worst case they can back a few degrees of timing out or run a slightly smaller hole in their carb spacer ...

I refuse to beleive the country that can find blood stains that were cleaned with bleach 20 years ago we can’t develop a a fast effective, error proof test for tire juicing.

I like the idea of restricting the deck heights. Though, an issue I come across with my car and other cars I’ve worked on is that at 38”/38.25” deck height the deck is touching the top of the fuel cell’s fuel lines. That’s with the factory mounts. There isn’t a way to reach the 36” mark without reconstructing. Checking the deck height at post race is a rule I would support.

As far as tires, there are way to many compounds out there. I understand the business side for the manufacturers to sell more tires with tires that have a short life span. But, we’re losing cars and having multiple compounds to race at various tracks costs my team and teams like us more money. I raced at Pennsylvania Motor Speedway mostly and a harder compound is needed to race there or tracks near the size of PPMS. 1425’s last for me and anything softer will be greasy after a few laps. If I go to anywhere else from Tyler County, Wayne County, Marion Center, Thunder Mountain, I-77, 1300’s are fine for us. I would have tire wear, but I can still utilize some of the tires for another week. Maybe buy one or two new tires instead of four. In a nutshell, having two compounds would save me money in my situation. 1425’s and 1300’s to be the only two compounds would work for my situation.

Huck,Maybe you really are fast. You just handicap yourself too much with tires.

I agree with Jon’s suggestion of limiting the spoiler angle. That’s a rule that can be easily enforced and the teams can easily follow. If sanctions and tracks went with one LM40 rule, I’d be cool with it as well. You can limit grooving tires to take some edges away. There are some rules about “no siping”, but I’ve seen top teams continue to sipe even when the rules were applied. By the end of the race the sipes will be worn off, but sipes we’re still used during the event.

Limiting grooving kills the little guy again.

Serious question do you think you or
    Me are smarter about cutting and siping for conditions than Scott Bloomquist ?? On the ungrooved unsiped lm 20’s they wore like concrete at eldora , on a grooved siped 20 you can torch the right front in 5 or 6 laps if you are tight .... not to mention it takes about a minute to replace an untouched tire and be back to racing , not everyone pays a tire guy to handle it. The grooving and siping helps the little guy narritive I always hear is absolute BS

As a small team, I’m no professional at knowing the right grooves and sipes to make for track conditions. I have my patterns, but not the experience as top tire guys. Therefore, if no grooving or siping is permitted, then that levels the playing field a little bit in my small team’s favor. Plus, working 40 hours or more and having a family, my time is limited to work on the car and not having to sipe and groove will save time. That’s another issue I hear from competitors that they don’t have time to work on the car. Just speaking for myself.