Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Physics limit how fast a 2350 pound car can go and still change directions at the end of the straight away. Explain to me why Kevin rumley would risk being parked for the weekend to run the Lr deck up another 1.5 after Francis turned his back if it is not
    Important ... I am
    Proposing lowering the deck 3” and consider Air shocks hold the deck at 42 or 43 after they hit the first bump in
    Actually talking about lowering them 6 or 7 inches along with laying the spoilers back. But by all
    Means please tell me more about running an open motor at a place like eldora or Pittsburgh since you have not done it .... perhaps you can tell me how

Why have a spoiler at all? Then you don't need an angle finder.

Cars look terrible without a spoiler but if they want to remove them I’m fine with that too

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    The additional power of the spread bore motors already IS unuseable in slick track conditions. But you can't qualify without it and then (when the track is heavy) it would behoove you to lay the spoiler back.
    Guys aren't going around Eldora when it is black slick with it matted to the floor all the way around the track. Until they are, you'll never convince me that aero is causing the motor problem. It's the other way around. When there is traction in the track, you need all the power the rules will allow. Then when the traction goes away, you need the aero to ASSIST with getting traction back. You could go with the 1984 UMP bodies and guys that can afford it are still going to have a $50,000 motor because the rules allow it and when you need HP you'll have it. The insane HP allowed by the current motor rules is the root cause of the problem...just my opinion and it's been well documented on here in the past so I'll pipe down a little.
    Yep, those spread bores are irrelevant on black slick tracks(which most features are run on).When feature lap times are 3 plus seconds slower, motors aren't the issue!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Yep, those spread bores are irrelevant on black slick tracks(which most features are run on).When feature lap times are 3 plus seconds slower, motors aren't the issue!
    Sure helps to be half a track ahead when they throw the green and everyone is the same speed.

Exactly !!! When it’s heavy it takes big power to qualify. To come from the back at eldora you have to be blazing fast

Leave the spoiler sides on so it looks good from the side then. Lol

How about going with a 4” spoiler with the current sides and center support. Wouldn’t change the way the cars look really at all, and would take a ton of downforce away.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

It would help. I have raced a super with no spoiler, although on a bullring. It makes a real difference. I say if a little is good, a lot is better.No spoiler also gets rid of the clean air BS.
    Last edited by RaceEngineer; 10-27-2018 at 05:22 PM.

But will it make better racing!

Cost is insignificant if the racing sucks and fans leave!

You can drill 4 inch holes all through it too, all above ideas are good...

Like i said in the other thread, no one wants to go backwards. Best ideas are to try and hold the speed where its at now.

6" spoiler. Tech after the races, in an controlled environment, aka no crew or outsiders around the car. Thats for starters, i would like to add a max spoiler angle, simple no go gauge.

Matt49 is right on about the motors, big motor to qualify, then you tip toe, most run on 2 bbls.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Like i said in the other thread, no one wants to go backwards. Best ideas are to try and hold the speed where its at now.6" spoiler. Tech after the races, in an controlled environment, aka no crew or outsiders around the car. Thats for starters, i would like to add a max spoiler angle, simple no go gauge. Matt49 is right on about the motors, big motor to qualify, then you tip toe, most run on 2 bbls.
    Taking the wedge bodies off and making the tires smaller in the early 80s was going backwards, if you mean lap times. Car counts recovered and the golden age of dlm happened afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    But will it make better racing!Cost is insignificant if the racing sucks and fans leave!
    Why would it hurt it? If clean air means less, it has to help.

Cant use quotes, but Wedge cars we're basically unsafe.

I think you can dial them back, a little, i meant going backwards as in going 2 seconds slower a lap (Modifieds speed). You can cut Spoilers, and de-wedge the cars somewhat and bring up the racing, and slow the cars down .5 seconds a lap, maybe a little more.

I dont think you will ever contain the costs, best you can wish for is slow it down. Speaking of costs, anyone watch Fuel Dragsters run anymore? them guys spend cubic bucks, and its mostly the same guys from 40 years ago, car owners etc.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    Like i said in the other thread, no one wants to go backwards. Best ideas are to try and hold the speed where its at now.

6" spoiler. Tech after the races, in an controlled environment, aka no crew or outsiders around the car. Thats for starters, i would like to add a max spoiler angle, simple no go gauge.

Matt49 is right on about the motors, big motor to qualify, then you tip toe, most run on 2 bbls.
    ^ I like this for an easy and immediate change. 6" spoilers and post-race tech.

What is cheaper .... taking 5 or 6 hours to make a new fuel cell cage to allow 36” or working the amount of hours required to buy a 55k motor ? It looks like the xr1/ longhorn / Black diamond cars most people are running have a few inches available to lower the deck.

So far none of these suggestions make these cars cheaper...…..but keep beating the gong.

A statement without explanation is useless. They certainly decrease the power you can get to the ground. Therefore a cheaper engine works.The situation is no different than the wedge days except the chassis work better so more needs to be done.

Speaking of costs, anyone watch Fuel Dragsters run anymore?
    Every chance I get. Live and in person, is best. Nothing like the sweet yet pungent smell of nitro to awaken the senses but if I have no other choice, televised is okay.

them guys spend cubic bucks,
    ~$5K per pass, assuming nothing catastrophic happens on that pass, then it gets exponentially more expense and catastrophic events are not at all uncommon.

and its mostly the same guys from 40 years ago, car owners etc.
    Not entirely. It's true we"ve still got the big 3 teams Shumacher, Force, and Kallita. However, there's new blood in the ranks awell, like Steve Torrrence, whom I hope to watch clinch his first Top Fuel Championship in just a few hours in Las Vegas. Steve is a young man who's overcome a lot in his young life, including cancer, a heart attack, and a very scary crash last year that ultimate cost him the title last season.

Anyway, I think in the last couple of seasons NHRA has had quite a few sellout shows.
    Last edited by Stefan2k4; 10-28-2018 at 12:13 PM.