2 6.25%
  • Penske

13 40.63%
  • Genesis

3 9.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shock Brands

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    True story about Jerry. He built us a special lr so we wouldn't need a lrf. It worked very well and we had very good luck with it. The next year we dropped down a class and had to run a conventional shock with no external adjusters. Because we had bought a Rocket and he was a Genesis dealer, he made us a very good deal to use Genesis. So I sent them my lr from jerry and told them to copy it. Mike from Genesis called me and asked where I got the shock from because he said he had NEVER seen anything like it. Of course, I didn't tell him, but it just goes to show ya that, some people are just a little smarter than the others!
    thing about jerry is , he is very soft spoken , if you approach him as a know it all , he want help you very much , which im the same way , but if you are knowledgeable to accurately give him the info he needs , then IMO , he is the best on any shock.........also im glad he made it to a company big as afco , down side is he is harder to get in touch with , but that is to be expected.......
    Last edited by fastford; 11-03-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    You guys are going to have a big laugh but I bought 11 shocks from a guy on FB for $80.00... ten afco's and one Pro... all twin tube.

I took them to one of the local guys that builds A mod chassis and manufacturers a bunch of suspension parts for dirt mods and pavement late models. They have a young guy that does their shocks and he seems pretty knowledgeable.

I had him go thru what I had... three were the older style Afcos that he couldn't get parts for so he set those aside. He rebuilt and revalved all the rest to suit my needs and even did a "special" setup for the single adjustable lrf shock.

I brought him a couple QA1's to redo, too.

So I have about $320 invested in 10 shocks. I must have gotten the senior discount. Anyway I figure they will be a good place to start and will help put one more car on the track... yuk it up kids.
    You old buzzard.....wont be going fast enough to know the difference!.......jk,jk

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    You old buzzard.....wont be going fast enough to know the difference!.......jk,jk
    As long as it's faster than my mobility scooter I'll be ok....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Thanks everyone for the responses and opinions. Sounds pretty clear that my first step is to get a shock guy!

Beware there are a lot of snake oil salesman out there. There is no magic, the only way a shock guy is going to make you faster is if your car is currently doing something wrong that can be corrected with shocks. And just because it corrects that issue on that track in that condition doesn’t mean the car won’t be worse on other tracks in other conditions ...

Some truth to what huck says BUT...about 9 out of 10 "shock guys" have a very good understanding of general vehicle dynamics. So there is a wealth of knowledge there that goes way beyond just the shocks.

jerry is top notch

Matt mentioned trying genesis but never getting a feel he liked. Who is the best for genesis stuff? I've got a LR thats leaking need to send off. Looked on the website and dealers aren't listed.