Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why doesn't LOLMDS or WoO run a regular at The Dirt Track at Charlotte?

I've wondered for years, why does neither series, or even regional series like Ultimate run a regular touring event at the dirt track? (Besides the WoO World Finals obviously) The WoO Sprints do if I'm not mistaken, it just seems like such a nice facility to be idle except for just a couple weekends a year!

What was the reason they quit running the Colossal?

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post
    I miss the Colossal, I wish they'd bring that back. The World Finals have too many support classes. The Colossal was only Supers and Crash Cars, which were actually kind of entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennsboro23 View Post

Weather , they payed good money to win the Colossal and rain and having to move/extend it killed the gare money coming in

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaDirt View Post
    Weather , they payed good money to win the Colossal and rain and having to move/extend it killed the gare money coming in
    I wish they would bring that one back. I think there's still a market for it. Early in the year there aren't any real Crown Jewel races. The Colossal could have filled that gap.

Lucas will never be there due to them being hooked in with WRG. I'm not sure why WOO doesn't run a May race there with the NASCAR crowd in town....probably something dumb like "dust"

The biggest mystery to me is the dirt track at Texas Motor Speedway why no tour races or really much of any races at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbones View Post
    The biggest mystery to me is the dirt track at Texas Motor Speedway why no tour races or really much of any races at all.
    Does WoO sprints still go there?

The dirt track at lowes is used for about 15 or so events a year. You have the Woo sprints during race week you have score off road. You have AMA flat track. You have a couple of monster truck shows and a few other events .

So many reasons... Sanction costs, purse, terms of the race agreement...

I spoke to USAC in 1988 about running the sprints at my track in NE WI... they wanted a $36,000 sanction fee plus expenses not counting the purse...geez.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I don't think there's much shortage of money there is there?

What track did you run in wisconsin?

What about a big race out in vegas in Nov-Dec?

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    So many reasons... Sanction costs, purse, terms of the race agreement...

I spoke to USAC in 1988 about running the sprints at my track in NE WI... they wanted a $36,000 sanction fee plus expenses not counting the purse...geez.
    Those are some crazy numbers!! For the 1980's for sure! At Dixie in Georgia mid-2000's, USAC ran supposedly for $40k. I kinda wish some non-wing stuff would catch on some in the South! I know many of you are Late Model only Snobs, and any other car is sacrilege!!

All 4 of the dirt tracks that were built neighboring NASCAR 1.5 mile cookie cutter facilities have a lot in common. Dirt tracks at Charlotte, Texas, Vegas, and Chicagoland (Dirt Oval Route 66) all have a very similar configuration. It isn’t a configuration that tends to produce good racing. High speed, but relatively flat with a surface that just doesn’t have more than 1 groove. Charlotte is the best of them and has been utilized the most. They’ve invested more in the racing surface and they have a premier event with the world finals. All are also notorious for being over priced. The intention may have been to host big events at these tracks around their nascar races, but they’ve just never been as successful as they should be.

They run the sprint cars there when the nascar race is in town in May. I miss the Colossal and there was another big late model race there too that is gone now. I think they could bring the Colossal back and make it work and could make it a crown jewel if it was done right. Could you imagine them getting the track surface right and it being 3 grooves from top to bottom. Could you imagine the crowd that would be there say in mid to late April for the Colossal especially if they made it a crown jewel and made it a true crown jewel

Quote Originally Posted by racincowboy02 View Post
    They run the sprint cars there when the nascar race is in town in May. I miss the Colossal and there was another big late model race there too that is gone now. I think they could bring the Colossal back and make it work and could make it a crown jewel if it was done right. Could you imagine them getting the track surface right and it being 3 grooves from top to bottom. Could you imagine the crowd that would be there say in mid to late April for the Colossal especially if they made it a crown jewel and made it a true crown jewel
    Would be epic.......miss the colossal.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I’m guessing it has to do with money. If the Colossal made money, it would probably still be happening.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by thexfactor0210 View Post
    What track did you run in wisconsin?
    Promoted Luxemburg (87-88), Chilton (88) and Amherst (2013). PR guy at 141 then GM in 1986. Did PR/advertising at Capital (83-84) and Slinger (85) plus did the mic work.that year.

I've done a few announcing gigs on a fill in basis since then plus ran a boatload of hot rod shows and swaps.

Now I'm.retired from all that happy horse manure and hope to have some fun for a change.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I want to see them put dirt on the Roval and run that!!!