Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sprints have always been like a novelty to me it's like when the circus use to come to town years ago. Cool to see every once awhile but just not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Cage, just for the record bloomy's best finish was 6th in the Saturday night C-main. Had he finished 3rd he'd have transferred to the B-main. He never advanced out of an alphabet race at The Chili Bowl.

With all due respect, Cage, you said it's not possible to be very good in several different types of racecars and I merely pointed out that Larson and, to a bit lesser extent, Bell go against that line of thought. We'll leave Jack out of this because he hasn't raced regularly since July of 2002 and not at all since September of 2014.

I'm not comparing bloomy to Larson because there is little to no comparison. Even with all his accomplishments driving modern generic dirt late models bloomy can't be mentioned in the same sentence as Larson, but I just did! LOL!

The original question was whether bloomy ever raced a sprint car. The answer to that is hell no. I merely pointed out how inept bloomy was in a midget. Midgets are remotely similar to a sprint car. Bloomy, simply put, got his over-sized ass handed to him while driving midgets. But, I reckon that can be explained away by bloomy being old and fat.

The bottom line is the record speaks for itself and the facts are that bloomy is as good as there ever was at driving modern generic dirt late models, but that's as far as it goes. Making excuses for his shortcomings in all other types of race cars won't ever change the record.
    Yep, if he's as good as you think he is he should have kicked their asses! Sammy is old and fat and he runs up front year after year at The Chili Bowl. Ahhhh, maybe it's cause bloomy's tall and fat. Dave Darland is old and tall and he runs pretty good in a midget year after year.Okay, okay, I concede, bloomy would have easily lapped the field, Dillon and Larson included, if he would have just left that dam sway bar where it belonged. LOL!!

The sway bar excuse maybe works a little bit for the truck fiasco but how do you explain away bloomy's dismal showing in an ARCA car, especially on the dirt at Springfield? HMMMMM?
    "modern generic late models" that's funny coming from a sprint car boy

Laughable comments about Bloomer. The sacred Chilli Bowl has been won by a modified/late model driver. When's the last time the Dream or World has been won by an open wheel guy? Guess they prefer to run their $10,000 to win "exhibition" show that only 2 or 3 teams are competitive at than to race for $100,000 or $40,000 where they have rules.
    lol lol lol

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by klemmabyna View Post
    clayton: was waiting for CIRF to provide any recent examples. no doubt the legend Charlie Swartz was one of a kind.
    I see Charlie Swartz and Jack Hewitt as being cut from the same cloth, both great drivers. Hard nosed and determined. But I love and respect ALL of dirt racing, even Brett Hearn in those Big Block Modifieds. Why do we have to have animosity, when we all love dirt racing? It only hurts us all in the end... JMO
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Here's some thought.... could TMAC be good at both midgets and late models due to his big block modified background seeing as big block mods share parts of both sprints and stock cars

CageFaraday: pretty sure we are on the same page. the goofy thing is i'm usually on here baiting bloomquist fans, but felt inclined to engage CIRF and his opinion on scott's lack of success outside late models.

I love racing of all types, including asphalt. and there are superstars in every style. the lost point of my debate is I'm not sure any racer these days can be expected to have great crossover success. especially in the middle or end of a career in one type where you are a legend.

and that was my challenge to CIRF. but I haven't seen a response...
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by tb1545 View Post
    Here's some thought.... could TMAC be good at both midgets and late models due to his big block modified background seeing as big block mods share parts of both sprints and stock cars
    There might be something to that. For instance, Larry Wight, who is also primarily a big block guy but has experimented with sprints and late models, has been pretty impressive at the Chili Bowl as well.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by klemmabyna View Post
    CIRF I have always enjoyed your pro-sprinter opinions. and will continue to do so.

but I do have a question. are there sprint car superstars that have made a big splash in dirt late models?

and this is for all: apples to oranges and all that... aj and tony. Hewitt. etc. but that was long ago...

are the differences in types of cars so much that crossover success in unrealistic?

if not, who, besides t-mac, can boast of high level success across divisions?
    Klem, the short answer is there really are none. You are correct in what you say but as I mentioned before, the glaring exception to your examples is Larson and Bell.

The basic reason there has not been anyone from the dirt open wheel ranks to cross over to the modern generic dirt late models is mostly due to the fact that to move up the racing totem pole, as most young racers want to do, the opportunities are far and few between coming from the generic late models. There is a reason why Chip Ganassi went after Kyle Larson and not Bobby Pierce. The road to racing fame and fortune is not through GDLM's.

Schotz is doing it as a sidelight to his main concern, which we all know what that main concern is. Jack Hewitt was probably the most successful cross over in the generic era and even he did it as an afterthought and was only really interested in running the big Eldora shows and the mile dirt tracks where he had a distinct advantage over the DLM guys that didn't like the mile's. I know that because he told me so.

Larson wants to give generic late models a try but he's already got to where he wanted to go as a result of his dirt open wheel successes and the late models will be more or less a secondary challenge. A hobby, if you will.

Klem, you're a straight up guy who seems to be willing to accept facts and that is appreciated. Hypothetical's and hopeful assumptions are just that. The excuses that have been made here are mildly entertaining but somewhat hollow. To your credit, Klem, you have not made any excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by CageFaraday View Post
    I see Charlie Swartz and Jack Hewitt as being cut from the same cloth, both great drivers. Hard nosed and determined. But I love and respect ALL of dirt racing, even Brett Hearn in those Big Block Modifieds. Why do we have to have animosity, when we all love dirt racing? It only hurts us all in the end... JMO
    Cage, I meant no ill will towards you at all. You're one of the few here that maintain an open mind and that is to be commended. A part of yours and my racing interests are beyond the tunnel vision rut of some here.

It truly brings a smile to my face when I'm derogatorily and erroneously referred to as an open wheel guy or a sprint car guy. It's humorous since at least half of all the racing we attend yearly is dirt late model racing. You don't live as close to Fairbury, Illinois as we do and not pay attention to DLM racing. It's very good stuff and it's close and affordable.

I think both you and I are a bit less tribal than most here. I can, and do, love both. I've attended over 20 World Hundreds and several Dream's and several of the big races held up at Cedar Lake, Wisconsin. I really don't believe a person can be all that anti late model with that attendance resume'.

chupp n bloomer fan I’d rather be the master of one division than to jump around and never achieve dominance. Not even sure why you ever comment in the Late model section, when it’s to do nothing but put down late models or their fans.

We all know Bloomer screwed the pooch with the sway bar deal. How’d he do in an asphalt late model? Pretty (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good. Look that up.
    I understand your viewpoint on being great in one division as opposed to being mediocre in several like bloomy is/was. That is a valid point of view, it's also what sets a guys like Larson and Bell apart from guys like bloomy.

Not putting down late models or their fans. Never have, never will. As I said previously, we attend many dirt late model races each and every year and DLM's is the only division I've ever had any real involvement. The objective is to present a valid and realistic alternative to some unrealistic commentary. It's evident that does not sit well with you and a few others. I regret that, because that is not the objective. Please hate the message, not the messenger.

I am very interested in your take on why bloomy was so dismal in ARCA cars (before he was old and fat), both on dirt and asphalt, and his less than stellar showing in midgets. Do you also subscribe to the theory that old fat guys like Sammy (who was in his mid 50's the last time he won The Chili Bowl) and bloomy aren't capable of being competitive in midgets?

As far as the huge amount of asphalt late model success bloomy enjoyed before he was old and fat, I'm aware of his 2 races against household names the likes of which I can't recall. A 2nd and a 5th, if memory serves me. If you want to hang your hat on those 2 starts of which I don't believe he ever led, that's fine with me. Get right to it!

One thing is for sure, you bloomy worshipers certainly got a gift that will keep giving in perpetuity when he allegedly pulled that sway bar off. That's an excuse that will live in infamy! LOL!

I understand your viewpoint on being great in one division as opposed to being mediocre in several like bloomy is/was. That is a valid point of view, it's also what sets a guys like Larson and Bell apart from guys like bloomy.

Not putting down late models or their fans. Never have, never will. As I said previously, we attend many dirt late model races each and every year and DLM's is the only division I've ever had any real involvement. The objective is to present a valid and realistic alternative to some unrealistic commentary. It's evident that does not sit well with you and a few others. I regret that, because that is not the objective. Please hate the message, not the messenger.

I am very interested in your take on why bloomy was so dismal in ARCA cars (before he was old and fat), both on dirt and asphalt, and his less than stellar showing in midgets. Do you also subscribe to the theory that old fat guys like Sammy (who was in his mid 50's the last time he won The Chili Bowl) and bloomy aren't capable of being competitive in midgets?

As far as the huge amount of asphalt late model success bloomy enjoyed before he was old and fat, I'm aware of his 2 races against household names the likes of which I can't recall. A 2nd and a 5th, if memory serves me. If you want to hang your hat on those 2 starts of which I don't believe he ever led, that's fine with me. Get right to it!

One thing is for sure, you bloomy worshipers certainly got a gift that will keep giving in perpetuity when he allegedly pulled that sway bar off. That's an excuse that will live in infamy! LOL!
    But yet you leave out the part how good Bloomer was in Hooters/ASA type asphalt late model!If I remember correctly, he never finished out of the top 5. You're obviously not from the South, because Bloomer consistently outran Booby Gill, Freddy Query, and (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ie/Wayne Anderson. Those guys are legends down here.

That deal was a partnership through Richard Childress. In the end, Bloomer wasn't offered enough money to accept the ride. Remember this was the late 90's early 2000's when Bloomer was dominant and won a ton of races and money!

Quote Originally Posted by bullring View Post
    Laughable comments about Bloomer. The sacred Chilli Bowl has been won by a modified/late model driver. When's the last time the Dream or World has been won by an open wheel guy? Guess they prefer to run their $10,000 to win "exhibition" show that only 2 or 3 teams are competitive at than to race for $100,000 or $40,000 where they have rules.
    lol lol lol
    Probably the biggest reason the open wheel guys don't bother with the Dream or World is that winning either one or both would have no upward effect on their career's. However, winning The Chili Bowl can, and has, put a driver in a position to advance his/her career so as to get the opportunity to advance heir career to drive in races that pay more for last place than the Dream pays to win.

The Chili Bowl is a career maker, that big block modified driver you mentioned got a shot at a lucrative opportunity as a result of his Chili Bowl success. Guys like Donnie Beechler, Dave Blaney, Billy Boat, Rico Abeu and Christopher Bell were partially propelled up the racing totem pole with Chili Bowl victories. Larson has already made it to where he wanted to go but he is on record as saying he wants to win The Chili Bowl more than he wants to win the Daytona 500. THAT'S how important it is to have that win on your resume'. Please name one driver in the generic era that got a shot at money and fame beyond the DLM division from winning the Dream or the World. Jeff Purvis is the only one that I know of. No knock on those races, just a fact that some just can't accept.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    But yet you leave out the part how good Bloomer was in Hooters/ASA type asphalt late model!If I remember correctly, he never finished out of the top 5. You're obviously not from the South, because Bloomer consistently outran Booby Gill, Freddy Query, and (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ie/Wayne Anderson. Those guys are legends down here.!
    Bloomy had 2 starts in asphalt late models. One at Jefferson and one at 411. He ran 2nd to Freddie Query at 411 and ran 5th in the start at Jefferson behind Jody Ridley, Query, Cope and Hall. Those races were a part of the Slim Jim All Pro Series. I'll admit, I had to look this stuff up. Unless there is some other starts that there is no record of that's the only starts on asphalt that are known. And again, he was dismal in an ARCA car on both asphalt and dirt. I watched him on dirt at Springfield and he was an embarrassment to the DLM community much like at the Eldora truck race. If that's all there is and you wanna' hang your hat on that then so be it. I won't argue about it.

If there is record of more success on asphalt out there then I'll be the first one to stand humbly corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    There might be something to that. For instance, Larry Wight, who is also primarily a big block guy but has experimented with sprints and late models, has been pretty impressive at the Chili Bowl as well.
    You make a valid point, Josh. Valid points are a commodity that is sorely lacking in this discussion.

I'm getting wore out. Being away and coming back to see and clearly respond to all this anger and hate is very tiring and time consuming! Gotta' take a breather!! LOL!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tb1545 View Post
    I would say yes, he won the Chilli Bowl in 2006. Its a thrill for me to watch Tmac still switch back to his BBMod every year. When I was with Carrera we built his shocks when he first started in DLM and he was a classy dude to work with.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

You make a valid point, Josh. Valid points are a commodity that is sorely lacking in this discussion.

I'm getting wore out. Being away and coming back to see and clearly respond to all this anger and hate is very tiring and time consuming! Gotta' take a breather!! LOL!
    I just think driviing a straight axle car and the style it requires has a much better chance of transferring to other straight axle cars that it does for somebody who came up through the ranks driving an independent suspension car and tried to adapt. Sure, there are guys who have skill driving both cars, but it takes quite the changes in driving style, particularly these days when late models and open mods wheel mods tend to have a face down ass up attitude that tend to make cars very tight. Big block mods kind sit in the middle of the two driving styles.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Bloomy had 2 starts in asphalt late models. One at Jefferson and one at 411. He ran 2nd to Freddie Query at 411 and ran 5th in the start at Jefferson behind Jody Ridley, Query, Cope and Hall. Those races were a part of the Slim Jim All Pro Series. I'll admit, I had to look this stuff up. Unless there is some other starts that there is no record of that's the only starts on asphalt that are known. And again, he was dismal in an ARCA car on both asphalt and dirt. I watched him on dirt at Springfield and he was an embarrassment to the DLM community much like at the Eldora truck race. If that's all there is and you wanna' hang your hat on that then so be it. I won't argue about it.

If there is record of more success on asphalt out there then I'll be the first one to stand humbly corrected.
    Car setup can be the problem, not the driver, on many occasions. Who can really jump around and get it right, right off the bat?

The point is that if you put a good driver in good equipment, with a little practice, they'll run very well! You seem to blame it all on the driver when that obviously isn't the case. In fact in the truck deal, Kyle publicly apologized to Bloomer, on social media I believe, for the team not putting the swaybar back on!

I consider Kinser to be one of the greatest in open wheels but he sucked in Nascar. That was a good ride with plenty of money behind it. I think McReynolds was the crew chief as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I just think driviing a straight axle car and the style it requires has a much better chance of transferring to other straight axle cars that it does for somebody who came up through the ranks driving an independent suspension car and tried to adapt. Sure, there are guys who have skill driving both cars, but it takes quite the changes in driving style, particularly these days when late models and open mods wheel mods tend to have a face down ass up attitude that tend to make cars very tight. Big block mods kind sit in the middle of the two driving styles.
    More good points which can't be disputed in the least by the likes of me since it's been almost 20 years since I've been involved with the chassis geometry of a dirt late model race car and have only sparingly worked on dirt open wheel chassis geometry, with the emphasis on sparingly.

It seems that you're making the point that Kyle Larson is an extraordinary anomaly. The very first race Larson ever drove in a fendered car he won. He won the K&N East season championship as a rookie. He won in only the second time he ever raced a Daytona Prototype sporty car in the biggest and most prestigious road racing event in North America.

This is why snort and Larson can't be mentioned in the same sentence in regards to all around racing success. Is snort as talented and diverse as Larson? Only a fool would attempt to make a case that he is.

The initial question was whether snort had ever driven a sprint car/open wheel car and the answer is yes, and with dismal results. Pointing out those facts and snorts' many other dismal driving stats outside of a dirt late model/mortified seem to cause some folks dire mental anguish and the excuses come raining down like a cloudburst.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Car setup can be the problem, not the driver, on many occasions. Who can really jump around and get it right, right off the bat?
    Kyle Larson. He won the first race he ever drove in a fendered car on asphalt. Next question, Clay! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Kyle publicly apologized to Bloomer, on social media I believe, for the team not putting the swaybar back on! I consider Kinser to be one of the greatest in open wheels but he sucked in Nascar. That was a good ride with plenty of money behind it. I think McReynolds was the crew chief as well.
    Kyle who? And where can I find that social media post? I swear, that sway bar should be bronzed and enshrined in The Smithsonian as the item that prevented snort Bloomquist from being considered the greatest driver of all time!!! LOL!!

King Kinser was the greatest WoO driver of all time, no disputing that. It seems the winged open wheel stuff doesn't equate all that well to the upper echelon's of stock car racing. However, the wingless genre' seems to transfer very well when the success of the wingless guys is tallied up, don't you think?

This is fun, but tiring!

Don't forget that you can watch the best drivers in the country race at Ventura Raceway out in sunny California tonight (Thanksgiving night) live on SpeedshiftTV. It's the 78th annual Turkey Night Grand Prix featuring USAC National Midgets. CBell, Larson, Stenhouse Jr., Peavey and many more good ones will be in action. It's the only racing going on in the country that we're aware of. Starts at 5:45 PM Central Time. That makes it just about the time for that turkey sandwich and a second slice of punkin' pie! Enjoy!

Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving. Hope none of ya'll get indigestion from reading this! LOL!!
    Last edited by CIRF; 11-22-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Is that Turkey deal a legitimate race or one where there are no weight rules and only a couple teams can win?