Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IS it Time to not have a Top Heavy Purse?

I was wondering with Tony and Lasalle doing something new should Eldora and others do this Instead of Paying 125,000 to win maybe pay 60,000 to win and spread 45,000 throughout the field and 20,000 to the non qualifiers? Also stop the high end entry fees? And maybe make it a 1 day show to hotlap and qualify and all on 1 day but keep the other 2 days as say tuneups.

Spreading more through the field will always be well received. However, I travel (as do many) 8 hours to Eldora twice every year to watch 3 days of great racing. A single day format does not work for events like Eldora... Stewart would take a hit a crossed the board with that format (less fans, campers and concessions).

I am in the no column...

Eldora is not the gold standard they are the platinum standard. There is no use questioning anything eldora does because they have very smart people in charge with the singular goal of being the worlds finest dirt track and increasing the margin of greatness over every other track.

Is that you Tony? If so you did Robert Ballou wrong.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    Eldora is not the gold standard they are the platinum standard. There is no use questioning anything eldora does because they have very smart people in charge with the singular goal of being the worlds finest dirt track and increasing the margin of greatness over every other track.
    World's finest dirt track facility, but there is nothing great about the track prep.

While Eldora is an excellent facility, the Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, MO is a LOT nicer facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    World's finest dirt track facility, but there is nothing great about the track prep.
    Track prep was great for most races I attended at Eldora this year.. which was 14 individual races.
    Sadly worst was probably World 100... never put water back on it during daytime racing and it locked down.. and just didn't have it back right for the Saturday events. It was really good for WoO Sprints on Sunday (again just my opinion)
    "The Wise One"

Eldora is not great with a 2’ cushion up against the wall. And you’re just beating off of that. Eldora is pretty darn good how it is now. This year’s World wasn’t perfect, but it was still pretty good.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Eldoras track prep is spectacular . The track changes get fast and very significantly which challenges your set up and driving skills like none other. What you guys mean by “ prep “ is digging down 5ft and dumping 8 million gallons of water so it’s wide open all night ... When tracks are wide open the racing is terrible and it costs twice as much to run on those conditions.

Eldora is usually pretty good, it was a lot better when they took a lot of banking out of 3 and 4. A fast Eldora usually means a crappy race! single fast groove and thats it!. Its by far a better idea to spread the wealth. I can assure you if the dream payed 60,000 to win, the same amount of cars would show up! but if it payed 4000 to start you may have a higher car count.

Eldoras track prep is spectacular . The track changes get fast and very significantly which challenges your set up and driving skills like none other. What you guys mean by “ prep “ is digging down 5ft and dumping 8 million gallons of water so it’s wide open all night ... When tracks are wide open the racing is terrible and it costs twice as much to run on those conditions.

And besides, that knocks you out of the picture!!!!

But that’s what you’re looking for Clayton, and Eldora sucks like that. Spectacular crashes and about 12 cars finishing. Been there, done that.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I'm looking for an end to a black ice skating rink with no cushion.

That is horrible....

Just one foot deep and 80,000 gallons would be enough.
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 11-12-2018 at 02:42 PM.

What race did you watch this year ???! Guys were up knocking down the fence , guys were rolling the hub and guys were in the middle ... what more can you ask for ?? Instead of a competitive race you want a strung out run away with faster lap times
    ???

Eldora is pretty much dirt Mecca...but it’s not the nicest. Go to Lucas Oil sometime. That place is beyond nice. It’s almost too nice to be a dirt track. Jumbotron. Luxury suites. Bars. Restaurants. Shuttle tram from your car to your seat. (For elderly and handicapped) Your race car doesn’t even touch dirt until it’s on the track. Restrooms cleaner than most people’s own homes. Yes Eldora is on it’s own level ...mostly history oriented and it’s nice...but it’s not the nicest. Not by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    What race did you watch this year ???! Guys were up knocking down the fence , guys were rolling the hub and guys were in the middle ... what more can you ask for ?? Instead of a competitive race you want a strung out run away with faster lap times
    ???
    So where was the fence knocking and hub rolling?

https://youtu.be/lDvlG4muGA4

I mean we are just going to ignore my comments that the worst the track was, was for the World 100 and bring out video of the World 100 to take down the claims of a wide racey track?

Ok, that's cool.
    "The Wise One"

Anyone who's been on 4m, longer than a week, knows cw isn't concerned with the actual quality of racing.

As someone who has been going since the mid-late 90’s to Eldora, the racing has been very good. They run top to bottom. McCreadie said in his victory lane speech that he started up top, then went to rolling the bottom, then back to the top when he realized it wasn’t real slow.

Go every year, I dunno what more you want outta Eldora. Tyler Erb and Bobby were banging the cushion and the wall the whole time they were out there.

I've said what I want. So let's just move on. No use of further discussion. I started going in 1977, Now I've lost enough interest, haven't been for the last three years. Tired of the skating. Did the ten announcers help sway you???