Thread: Impact Gun

Default Impact Gun

What are the most common impact guns used by the pro touring teams in Lucas and World of Outlaws etc? I have three Longacre 24v back here in NZ and they have all failed , the third one in less than a year. Any advice would be appreciated.

I use nothing but makita cordless stuff at work. Building decks is the hardest possible situation for cordless tools we absolutely beat them to death in pouring rain , freezing cold and blazing sun and they keep running . The are far superior to dewalt , Bosch and Milwaukee cordless stuff I have used prior to makita. So I use makita cordless stuff for my racing also and I have zero issues.

They're pretty much all made in the same country and it aint here. My son's construction company uses all Makita and it's very good stuff but I use a Kobalt 18-20 volt from Lowe's at the track for the tires and it's been very reliable, long lasting and more than powerful.

ive got a milwaukee thats been great for years, i dont just use it for tightening lug nuts

I've used snap on and Matco half inch impacts for lugs. Matco all day. Also have a matco 3/8 for the body bolts. Itll break a 3/8 grade 8 bolt if you aren't careful.

Can't say I typically look at what tools the national touring guys use, but I seem to see a lot of red tools like milwaukee or snap on.

I have no idea how makes the longacre tool, so can't comment on the quality of them, But can't say I think I've seen one at a track around here.

ive used the longacre 24v impact for years but the new gray version is crap, broke the nose cone on it in less than a month they sent a new one, but it don't have the power they use to have, I borrowed a milwaukee m18 1\2" impact that just came out which is half the size and that thing will break 1/2 bolts, we torgued a wheel to 110 ft#s and it took the lugs off like nothing, I bought one and that's all ill use now, and its compact enough for using on suspention stuff also

We've used the Longacre 24v for several years and one of the batteries just quit on us at the end of this season.
    We've been using the Makita sub-compact impact (hex drive) and the Makita sub-compact drill this year and absolutely love both of them. We're just using the impact on suspension stuff (not lug nuts). Both are brushless motor with lithium batteries. Serious power in a small package and great battery life.
    We've started acquiring other tools in their 18v line (LXT) and we're considering their high-torque 1/2" impact (to replace the Longacre 24v) since we're pretty invested at this point in the product line.

Most of the guys in the body shop and mechanic trades around here are going to the Milwaukee stuff. Its got a brushless design that last longer and as previously noted will break 1/2in bolts off if you aren't careful. I think my old 1/2in air snappy was 400ft lbs and the Milwaukee is around 1000ft lb. They offer a wide variety of tools and believe the batteries are all interchangeable.

I'm surprised these guys doing stops under yellows to change tires aren't carrying a nitrogen tank and using air impacts for changing tires. Every second counts if they aren't waiting for you. While the cordless has plenty of grunt I think shear speed would go to the air impacts.

I have had the best luck with Milwaukee, but have not used makita. I do have a longacre that the battery died on as well. Instead of throwing it out, I took the battery to batteries plus and had them rebuild it with a two year warranty. Any of the battery stores can rebuild them and offer different levels of warranty on the battery life.