Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default boyd or accuforce spring smasher

what have guys had the best luck with???

if you can keep a good note book the boyd is just fine, I've used both and the boyd has been very consistent and repeatable, and i think they are cheaper but not cheaper as far as the way there built, nice piece for the money, and very nice people to deal with, just my opinion
    they do make an upgraded one with all the bells and whistles (memory) but i still keep notes, guess I'm just old fashioned

Ultraforce has new models coming out at the dome and PRI. Including automated and improved displays. Will be in the Wehrs machine booth.
    Last edited by zeroracing; 11-12-2018 at 07:37 PM.

I like my Boyd

I would go with the Boyd

will we be sorry saving the 2k and not get the fully automated model??

No not in my opinion most of the people that buy the fully automated one end up with way more information than the average guy needs. And all the info is still available if you really want it the machine just doesn't record it automatically. We built our original smasher and it didn't even have a digital travel gauge we used a tape measure and we check things against our shock guys accuforce regularly and we're within two pounds of his. That 2000$can be spent in other places that will go alot further for the average racing program.

Quote Originally Posted by Jking24 View Post
    No not in my opinion most of the people that buy the fully automated one end up with way more information than the average guy needs. And all the info is still available if you really want it the machine just doesn't record it automatically. We built our original smasher and it didn't even have a digital travel gauge we used a tape measure and we check things against our shock guys accuforce regularly and we're within two pounds of his. That 2000$can be spent in other places that will go alot further for the average racing program.
    You can burn up a lot of pencils for $2k. 👍
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    You can burn up a lot of pencils for $2k. 
    And honestly other than being a little more timely, for me it helps because when i see that data list with all those numbers every .250 of travel it's to much info to process . when I'm writing each number down it helps to retain the info and visualize the curve for me

I have my home made machine and use the penske spring smasher app on my phone. It gives you a curve and everything. Off of the info you put in.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher88 View Post
    I have my home made machine and use the penske spring smasher app on my phone. It gives you a curve and everything. Off of the info you put in.
    What is the app called ?

Spring machine.

consistency it the main factor here

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    consistency it the main factor here
    The auto machine no more consistent than the displacement transducer. Same one you look at when doing manual. I used to do mine on a machine designed for much more elegant testing, that was automatic. Honestly, it scared me I might pull a shock apart. Lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Microsoft Excel makes a bada$$ spring smasher

Is there any easily accessible software that someone could hook their load cell and travel indicator into that would graph the inputs? So a more inexpensive smasher could be used in conjunction with a laptop to make travel/load graphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke1118 View Post
    Microsoft Excel makes a bada$$ spring smasher
    Yeah unfortunately excel can't tell you what your bumpstop or you spring rubbers are doing though

Quote Originally Posted by bcarrot28 View Post
    Is there any easily accessible software that someone could hook their load cell and travel indicator into that would graph the inputs? So a more inexpensive smasher could be used in conjunction with a laptop to make travel/load graphs.
    If you buy an acquisition card, they will provide free software.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by bcarrot28 View Post
    The Accu Force USB version does just that, but you transfer the data via a flash drive to your computer. It also produces graphs with up to 4 overlays.FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    If you buy an acquisition card, they will provide free software.
    Care to elaborate a little for those of us unfamiliar with this. Do you maybe have a link to one so i could further educate myself