Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by FASTRAKPR View Post
    I've been trying to use the reply with quote, but it won't allow me to do that so I'll do it this way.

Please help, I need some questions answered. Where was this race held ? What kind of rule does the track have for a crate engine ? Can any crate engine be run from any manufacturer or is only one manufacture engine allowed ?

Any series I've ever seen that tried to mix manufacturers has gone out of business or struggling terribly. The Ford is a 347 stroker and then they try and make the Chevrolet match it and they changed harmonic balancers, rocker arms, etc and it was a never ending battle. Had they made them "match" in HP and torque, I think it could have been done, but for some reason Ford had a good piece with the 351 they tested for a while but opted for the 347 stroker. Not to mention Ford was priced at $7300 from day 1.
    i call BS on this one fasttrack , robert gant was allowed to try one against a 604 and blistered them , so they said it had an unfair advantage because of weight , torque and blablabla , there are plenty of people that would pay the difference to run one , but the GM gold mine had to be protected...........

I can actually speak to the Ford experiment because I was running what was the stormpay series at the time. Robert Gant did win that night but I wouldn’t call it “blistered” because I ran second with a 602. Robert is a good driver and it was 5-6 car lengths but he probably counted for 2 of those. I remember because I got the win since it was an experiment. Late in the year however, when the first rebuilt 604 showed up we all got blistered, it would have beat the Ford easily. Granted this was way back when crates were a new thing and everything seemed equal. If rebuilds were not allowed I think they could have reached some type of equality between 602, 604 and Ford.

that is not the way i heard it , and my understanding was the last time he ran it was against 604,s , but either way , if what you say is true , and some didnt mind spending the extra money , which compared to a loaded 604 isnt that far off , then what was the problem with letting them run ? also i was thinking that first ford crate engine he ran was a 351 all steel sportsman engine which was more in line with the 602 . i think this is what you ran against , with to equal cars and drivers , i will put my money on the little aluminum headed 347 over the 604.......
    Last edited by fastford; 11-27-2018 at 08:22 AM.

You’re correct, I was unclear. Since it was the first year of stormpay at our track 602, 604 and what was a hobbie class all ran together. The hobbie cars had more power but were 3 link. Before the rebuilds 602 and 604 were very close, the 602 needed a little help but depending on the track conditions I could beat them. I ended up winning the championship but mostly because I showed up every week. After rebuilds, you just can’t get the same power margin out of a 602. That is why we have a 602 class now. I probably would have went with a Ford given a choice, just because the family drove Fords.

my father and uncle campaigned a super stack ford drag car back in early 60,s , i am still loyal to the ole blue oval , how ever i make most of my living off them old chevy,s , I have not heard from gant lately , im gone try and look him up over the winter. BTW DV8 , you coming to the ice bowl?

We normally go watch the last night, it is hard to string enough time together to run the multi day shows now. Really enjoy running TST though. Do you guys run the ice bowl every year?

pretty much , dont know for sure what were taking yet , i,m working with my kids little cars right now , hope to have a good 2019 but we got a lot of work to do........

I heard the motor in the first place car was over 3 years old and hadn’t ever been into meaning it was strait out of the box

thats the way its suppose to be , strait out the box , right ?

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    thats the way its suppose to be , strait out the box , right ?
    Which one of the 347 Ford. Motors should not the best against the 604 ?

the one gant had , had the X heads on it , the numbers were not that much different than the 604 , a little smoother low end and a little lighter.....

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    the one gant had , had the X heads on it , the numbers were not that much different than the 604 , a little smoother low end and a little lighter.....
    Funny how things work, probably had Gant run 10th with the Ford they'd have given the green light, but because it won it must not be allowed. Same thing when SAS allowed in the CT525 with spoiler & weight break, had it not won any races nothing would've been said, but because a HOF driver won a few races they promptly changed the rules to make it irrelevant. Its as if they think only certain things should be allowed to win. Like an unlimited super should always win, but if under certain conditions a CT525 wins it must be done away with. So they'll consider or allow other engine packages but they aren't allowed to win. I hate crate for this very reason, its no different than having a single political party telling everyone how they should live. This new shock thing only proves this point further. Everyone must all be exactly equal, we're all the same. BS
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive