Thread: Fake Dirt

Default Fake Dirt

Curious if there’s any Einstein types on here that could figure out a correlation between fake turf with rubber pellets for football/soccer and racing dirt? You’d think this day in age that you wouldn’t have to put new dirt down for a resurfacing but dirt that could absorbe rain or push it off so they could still race if it rained that day. I’m the furthest thing from being smart or a scientist but you’d think someone would’ve invented some plastic dirt or synthetic dirt or something that would help make for great racing conditions no matter what. We’ve been to the moon, mars, and have a cure for hair loss and bad vision... you’d think fake dirt would be an easy one. Like I said, im no scientist though.

They have fake synthetic dirt. It is call asphalt. Always seems to put on a poor show. Most people don't even consider it racing.

artificial clay has been in use in other sports for many years
    jackie boggs....the last true outlaw
    anyone but lanigan
    Swartz - we don't build race cars fast, we build fast race cars

They’ve been trying to develop synthetic dirt for racing up in NY. It hasn’t gone well.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by MBR Performance View Post

This is a joke. It will never happen. Look at date on article. Nys and motorsports complex messed up this project but yet they pay boo coos of $ for super dirt week in oswego.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SLIDING SIDEWAYS View Post
    This is a joke. It will never happen. Look at date on article. Nys and motorsports complex messed up this project but yet they pay boo coos of $ for super dirt week in oswego.
    CNYRP is never going to happen. It’s been opening soon since 2011, and Glenn says it’s not built yet because the state didn’t give him any money, but the reality is that the state only pays out if there is a certain level of investment in the project first. Glenn doesn’t actually have any investors, so he’s never going to get that state money.

The SYNDI dirt that they have been working on was laid on Brewerton for a test a number of years ago, and it was dustier and more abrasive on tires than actual dirt has ever been. It was also laid on Rolling Wheels a couple years ago, and it was the same. Rolling Wheels went dark shortly thereafter, but it’s coming back in 2019 as an actual dirt track.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I worked for a state university here in Illinois and the girls softball field went to a synthetic dirt infield almost ten years ago. I'm not sure how or if it would be suitable for cars to run on. It probably lacks the cohesiveness that wet dirt or clay has.

Default Josh

It got hyped up so much and has been an absolute failure.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Thumbs down

Just like the purist of football and baseball that deride astro turf and believe fully in "natural grass", I too prefer "natural clay". Part of dirt's character, that thing that makes it Sooo much better than asphalt, is its tendency to change and be mystifying. Even dirt's deterioration qualities are what make it so good. Even different parts of the country offer different types of clay with unique qualities all their own. How utterly boring it would be to have a "generic surface" and would further hasten racing's demise. Look at Nascar, they went crazy building tracks in the late 90's and early 00's, but instead of building unique tracks they went the cookie cutter route and tried to duplicate Charlotte everywhere. Our culture, our country and our sport became great being different, not striving to be identical to everyone else. Its where the term, "The American way" came from, we do things our own way. Sadly it seems that blessing from God is lost on the younger generations, as they are bamboozled by Obamites into confusing equal treatment with equal outcomes. I vote "NO" for sythetic clay, that would be an abomination.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

My vote is for oiled sand....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Cuomo got what he wanted at fair ground to make state fair bigger
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Please no..........there were 3 tracks in my area that tried that. Always turned into a one lane choo choo race!

a synthetic substitute for clay could perhaps be used, but it might be very expensive. How about silly putty? That would probably be about the consistency of moist clay on a tacky track wouldn't it? But how much would enough silly putty to completely cover a reasonable sized track cost? Probably quite a lot. And how long would it last before hardening and/or drying out? Could it be restored to it's consistency? perhaps some silicone based compounds or mixtures of compounds exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Waycross, Ga and Golden Isles, Ga were both "Peanut/oil Clay" tracks for years. Looked just like asphalt, even had lines painted on them. Very, very fast, but racing not so great. When Golden Isles was still the big track it was known as, "Home of the 172 MPH Back stretch". Literally FREAKY FAST... It was strange looking to see a DLM going that fast, Cherokee SC(Big Track) was next fastest I ever saw(155 MPH terminal velocity). Luckily they had no walls except along front stretch with mucho run off before the pines. It looked like a black dirt Richmond, just way faster. No joke and State Patrol verified. Waycross was different as it was only 3/8, but before qualifying they smeared "Crisco" on the rear tires so they wouldn't get sand in the rubber(So I was told).
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

fake dirt thread was discussed here many years ago when first proposed. I had opinions based on my greyhound track experiences.

maybe too old for most, but:

get the dirt right and leave it alone.

it's not nice to fool with mother nature.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

They use synthetic dirt on horse racing tracks (Turfway Park) but it is designed to let water shed easier and to make the track more consistent during a days worth of events...I don't think it would be good under the heat of tire spin and hot engines. ....but I know exactly Zer0 about it.
    I want URR Unified Rules Racing .

Boone puts wood chips in their dirt.

I've heard drivers say that the best surface that they had ever had raced on was in the south somewhere. The track spread cow manure on the surface and worked it in. Very fast and no dust. Honest ! Cant recall the name though. Anybody remember?