Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    I don't think it will be a big deal for the other area tracks. It's really just Peoria and Sycamore, and Sycamore doesn't even run supers every week. Peoria will still get the UMP points chasers and their regulars. I suppose Sycamore could lose a couple cars to Fairbury, but probably not too many. And I wouldn't worry about Highland or Pevely, since the long haul up I-55 would burn enough diesel to likely offset any incentive to chase the higher purse.
    I hope you are correct. Maybe it will push other promoters to find new, creative ways to be able to pay similar purses.

I truly can't believe that anyone is complaining about purses going up. I don't race at FALS but commend them on this move. What is even more impressive to me is the low pit pass prices and grandstand prices. Fans and racers are benefiting. I hope it works. And when it does, maybe other tracks will go out and try something new to get more cars and fans to their tracks. All we have heard for years is the sky is falling and racing is dying. We need bigger purses because the cost is out of control. We don't have the young fan base to support racing. There are so many other things taking time away and distracting from racing, etc... So we get a track to take a step out of the normal way of doing business and it upsets others. Maybe the negative mindset that has taken over the racing community is truly its downfall. Looks like I will have to make a trip or two up to FALS to try and make the show and know I am trying to compete against some of the best teams and drivers in Illinois.

No one here has said Fairbury is wrong for doing this... but it does change the way some teams will operate.

Well funded operations may tow farther to compete for the bigger purse. Some guys may choose to drag their 10 year old cars back into their shops to get back into the fray hoping to get a piece of the action.

A few tracks may up their purse to compete.

We just dont know yet...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    Do you know what they have been averaging the last couple of years on their weekly program? I'm just curious because, I don't know.
    The car count has been down the last few years. About 15-18 late models, even less for mods. Can't remember the last time a semi feature was needed.

The way i see it is im in the same boat as TheJet and im super exited about it but also see my chances of getting tow money increased.I have gotten it a couple times but I am also trying to up my motor program greatly and think i should be ok if i do. The way i see it though is its a higher risk but with a bigger reward and its also going to get some better racing.I hope to be down to FALS more this year as i have always felt welcomed and the atmosphere there is great. If we make this work im hoping other tracks will see this and step up.

West coast racing's in the same boat for many racers with decreasing fan bases , decreasing purses in many cases and increasing back gate fees to try and make up the difference which just makes it all the more difficult.

We run a pretty good Super Stock/Pro Stock though the Late Models are our preferred class that are, basically, dead out here and we like to race more than a couple of times a year without 4-500 mile tows to do that. We win a couple most years and are, generally, a top 3 car the rest of the time. Even running that well puts us in the hole every week but it's our hobby and our choice to do it.

There is a touring series, mostly at tracks in the next state, that pays much better on top that uses bigger engines, alcohol, bigger tires and more sophisticated suspensions. We run only about half of their shows, mostly due to the travel time and that my son & daughter-in-law have another life besides the racing. A top 3 is great for us with those guys but it's good competition and a pretty good bunch of people involved.

As some of you have said, promoting is a tough gamble. It seems to me that getting more fans to come back is the key to hold off racing's demise but how to do that is the big question. Hat's off to FALS for doing their best and wish them luck.

JMO but, wasn't there a Track in Indiana that paid $2000 tw weekly 10 years or so ago, and didn't really put everyone else out of business? Who's really going to show up and knock off the Guys who already are top runners at FALS? Maybe Bobby will be there often. Erb on off nights. etc. Hope it works out for them.

Looking at Erbs schedule I don't think there is any off nights lol

I'm with jet and a couple others on here, hopefully this works out for the locals. Hopefully this doesn't make fairburys weekly shows into regional shows.

Seems like a ton of late model guys have left FALS the past few years for whatever reason, but I am sure the increasing costs had something to do with it. Guys I can think of off the top of my head are Daren Friedman, Eric Smith, Joe Harlan, , Snooky Dehm, Scott Bull...

Ya I dont see how this could be negative at all, like Penn said if your struggling to make the show already, maybe step down a class, no offense but this is a premier division their are no freebies perform or step down. And its not gna draw any other marquee names that arent already there, maybe Gordy might pull up there every now n then, Schlenk prob be there, but saying it could kill other tracks what they will have 7 cars running instead of 9? Wasnt much of a show to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Ya I dont see how this could be negative at all, like Penn said if your struggling to make the show already, maybe step down a class, no offense but this is a premier division their are no freebies perform or step down. And its not gna draw any other marquee names that arent already there, maybe Gordy might pull up there every now n then, Schlenk prob be there, but saying it could kill other tracks what they will have 7 cars running instead of 9? Wasnt much of a show to start with.
    I wouldn’t think you would see Schlenk there

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Looking at Erbs schedule I don't think there is any off nights lol
    Weather could play a role. . 😎

Wondered how long before the potential effect on other tracks was raised. Fans, and race teams, can be fickle. When Lucas purchased the Wheatland, Missouri track there was another Saturday night track that was close. It had a lot of long time loyalists that howled at the big money guy moving in on the other track. Then this polished, clean, well oiled Taj Mahal of dirt tracks threw its doors open and the other track vanished in short order. Heart wrenching at times but in the end it’s survival of the fittest and capitalism at its finest. Hats off to FALS for taking the initiative, it’s up to other promoters to raise their own bar.
    I hate time trials.

At least steve Thorsten will get $300 a week now, some fuel for the toter

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by chathamracefan View Post
    Just posted. They are paying $2500 to win weekly & $300 to start for late models. $1500 to win per week for mods.

Admission & pit pass remain same cost ($10/$25).

I'd think this makes them the highest paying weekly show in the country for late models. Anyone aware of a track paying more? Kind of the late model equivalent of what Knoxville does for sprint cars (on a smaller scale). I think they pay like 4 or 5k to win for 410's every week.

Kudos to FALS for stepping up their game. Hope they get good support from the drivers.
    Wonder how long till they cancel it and then blame it on a rain forecast 4 weeks out? And then a scheduling conflict... and then a misunderstanding... and then grasp for any excuse they can find under the desk... Not feeling FALS at the moment, they screwed the WAR sprint series over hard and then blamed everyone and anything else for it. Its great money for weekly DLM, get it while you can.
    “Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” — The Dude

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by CageFaraday View Post
    Wonder how long till they cancel it and then blame it on a rain forecast 4 weeks out? And then a scheduling conflict... and then a misunderstanding... and then grasp for any excuse they can find under the desk... Not feeling FALS at the moment, they screwed the WAR sprint series over hard and then blamed everyone and anything else for it. Its great money for weekly DLM, get it while you can.
    You must be an idiot. It's not the same promoter. The guy running it now was the World Of Outlaws Late Model Series director this past year Matt Curl who lives in Fairbury. Scott only had FALS for this past season. Don't try to put that accident on Matt. That wasn't his call to cancel that show. You should get to know the promotor before you make false accusations.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

Why would they blame a weekly payout on a rain forecast 4 weeks out?

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierDirtFan View Post
    You must be an idiot. It's not the same promoter. The guy running it now was the World Of Outlaws Late Model Series director this past year Matt Curl who lives in Fairbury. Scott only had FALS for this past season. Don't try to put that accident on Matt. That wasn't his call to cancel that show. You should get to know the promotor before you make false accusations.
    Don't feed the trolls Hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by 2drace View Post
    Don't feed the trolls Hoosier
    Right. And I'm beginning to think that 2 people on here that like to put down FALS and boost each others egos are the same person.