Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dmr37 View Post
    The car count has been down the last few years. About 15-18 late models, even less for mods. Can't remember the last time a semi feature was needed.
    Well this should help get the car count back up by how much only time will tell.

I will agree something like this well over due in late model world but this isn't new promoting. Look at Attica Raceway and Fremont Speedway in Ohio. 2 tracks 30mins from each other running same headliner paying excellent purse weekly they've been doing it for years too. Then you have atomic which used to be 2k to win sprints and supers weekly some 15yrs ago. Supers well under paid for years and the tracks need to do their job and pay the classes what they're worth. Owning a track doesn't involve just opening the door and dropping flags. This guy got the memo in last stint there then a bigger eye opener when went woo. Your small tracks will survive and still pay peanuts but the quality will not be same nor quantity and stands will reflect as well. The one thing I don't like on that payout is 11th- last same money. Take 500 off top and spread there and you'll see better results especially from racers not pulling off track and fans get more bang for their buck in racing action. Fals & Macon 2 bucket list tracks for certain

Atomic is paying $2,000 to win $300 to start in 2019. Says all classes are getting a raise from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    I don't think it will be a big deal for the other area tracks. It's really just Peoria and Sycamore, and Sycamore doesn't even run supers every week. Peoria will still get the UMP points chasers and their regulars. I suppose Sycamore could lose a couple cars to Fairbury, but probably not too many. And I wouldn't worry about Highland or Pevely, since the long haul up I-55 would burn enough diesel to likely offset any incentive to chase the higher purse.
    This shouldn't effect Peoria at all. They only have abouta half dozen lates that run there weekly. You can't count Weisser or Gardner, as they chase the specials around he Midwest when they happen. As good as he is, Bennet never leaves the backyard. That leaves about 6 regulars, that strictly race Peoria to fight for the points. Peoria had a car count problem before FALS ever raised the payout.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    We've asked for it and now we've got it...a bigger weekly purse! But I can't help myself in looking at the negative...

A purse like this most likely just killed Saturday night racing in our area, for the "average Joe" like me. Myself, and a host of others, stood a fighting chance at making a weekly feature when we went to Fairbury. But now, with guys from around St. Louis (and probably even farther) talking about making routine visits, a back marker like me shouldn't even bother showing up.

And while I don't know what Peoria's plans are for next year, I sure don't see them trying to compete with this (at least for Late Models). So while big car counts might seem like something great...at first...how long is it before Fairbury is the only track running Late Models on Saturday nights (in our area), and the car counts are back down to 15 or so?

And don't get me wrong. Matt is a great guy and has helped me more than once. He genuinely makes someone like me feel wanted at his track. But I can't help but wonder where this will take us...
    Not exactly sure where you live Jeff but Peoria would be a great option. They are in dire need of cars and you would probably be top 5 in points when the dust settles.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    This shouldn't effect Peoria at all. They only have abouta half dozen lates that run there weekly. You can't count Weisser or Gardner, as they chase the specials around he Midwest when they happen. As good as he is, Bennet never leaves the backyard. That leaves about 6 regulars, that strictly race Peoria to fight for the points. Peoria had a car count problem before FALS ever raised the payout.
    I agree Highside Hustler, I don't think any track will be affected with the higher payout in the late model class but, the Modified class might lose a few cars to Fairbury. Time will tell how many and will it be enough to affect those tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Side Up 18 View Post
    I am sure I will get hit with haters but....help me out here. If this is all about money and I am Racer X and I am running in 6th or 7th place what is really the incentive to stay on the track and burn my $250 worth of Hoosiers and $10/gallon fuel while putting me closer to a $15,000 freshen on my engine? What does the difference of 100 bucks really do?

While I agree its nice to see someone say I am gonna up my weekly purse I have to look at it like paying 100k to win as opposed to 50k at the DTWC. Sure it sounds great in a press release but whats the point beyond that? (which did not yield more cars...)

Pay the racers back in the field more...

They are paying through the field more than any track lol. Most tracks dont even pay 200 to start a feature. They could pay 500 to start and people would ask for me i swear lol

well to be honest you were still there racing for 6th or 7th last year with no incentive to race harder..

Quote Originally Posted by TackyTracker View Post
    well to be honest you were still there racing for 6th or 7th last year with no incentive to race harder..
    Toche...point taken.

I guess they could pay every car that starts the feature $545 and they could just race for bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by dirty-white-boy View Post
    I am sure I will get hit with haters but....help me out here. If this is all about money and I am Racer X and I am running in 6th or 7th place what is really the incentive to stay on the track and burn my $250 worth of Hoosiers and $10/gallon fuel while putting me closer to a $15,000 freshen on my engine? What does the difference of 100 bucks really do?

While I agree its nice to see someone say I am gonna up my weekly purse I have to look at it like paying 100k to win as opposed to 50k at the DTWC. Sure it sounds great in a press release but whats the point beyond that? (which did not yield more cars...)

Pay the racers back in the field more...
    If you're consistently running 6th or 7th, why pull off? If you want to get better, there is nothing like seat time. The more laps ran, the better racer you will become. If a backmarker is gonna pull off 20 laps into a 40 lap feature, chances are they will never improve.
    8/13/16

No weekly guy is racing to make money really anyways. It is supposed to be about having fun and trying to do your best. Running 11th and pulling off to finish 20th every week would not be kind of silly in my opinion. When I ran a late we never were going to win but always wanted as many laps as we could have

Quote Originally Posted by bullring View Post
    I guess they could pay every car that starts the feature $545 and they could just race for bragging rights.
    Why not come back with an intelligent answer? Maybe give an example of how they could improve the pay off, though I think what they are doing is great.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Some great discussion on both sides, so I figured I'd chime back in as I was apparently the first "Negative Nellie" so to speak:

1) In thinking more about what my issue with the payout is, I realized it is the fact it's stacked at the top. I realize it pays more to start than anywhere else around here, and FALS already did with last years purse, but $2500 to win is just another example of helping those who don't need the help, and that's an all too common theme in racing. I realize it's a business, not a charity event, so the probability that bigger name drivers (like Feger, Schlenk, Shirley, etc) will undoubtedly be there more often is going to put butts in the seats. Nobody comes to watch me race, not even my own family, but I've never raced to make friends so that doesn't bother me. But wouldn't a purse that paid $1500 to win and $400 to start help save racing at the local level more than one that ensures the "rich" will get even richer (I know those guys are not "rich." I'm just trying to explain the disparity.)? And I realize nobody said this purse was meant to save racing, so I'll move on...

2) My point about Peoria was not claiming they might close or something. I'm not sure of what their plans are for next year, but I see they have a SN date so they will be open in some capacity. My point was that they stepped up their start money for LM's this year to match FALS, but I sure don't see them doing it again. So now you possibly take away guys like Drake, Gardner, and Walden (who don't race locally a ton, but when they do they typically race Peoria) and Peoria is left with what...5 or 6 LM's? Are they going to even run the class with that?

3) I appreciate all the constructive criticism about moving down a class, etc. I'm a fan of finishing what I start, and I've raced LM's since 1998 (minus an 11 year hiatus), so the thought of going backwards just doesn't appeal to me. I think I'd rather just step away (which is why my stuff is for sale). So we shall see...

I just hope we can look back in 5 years and say, "Yeah, a top heavy purse was the way to go." I also don't think my view is far off base. LaSalle is hoping to start a trend like that I speak of with their race they announced for next year (paying more throughout the field), but once again, only time will tell. Maybe Tony and I are just part of the extreme minority on this, but I guarantee we are both looking at it from the point of the racer and how we keep guys like me around.

Jet, don’t see you as a negative, it’s good insight and conversation. You race, I don’t, that gives you credibility in my book.
    I hate time trials.

Default Will have to wait and see

The one effect it has already had is having some guys who recently slowed down discussing the possibility of returning. Local Derek Chandler has said he plans to race more. The discussion of Scott Bull returning has been going around but not sure it is serious at this point. I think it will have the planned effect they intended bringing more local cars into the field.
    Last edited by cdustyr1; 12-09-2018 at 07:42 PM.

I think it is awesome that Matt and Fairbury are stepping up in 2019 to pay more to the racer. Racers have been asking for this for years. Now we will see if the racers support the track with their attendance and follow-up on their claims that if a track paid more they would support them. Certainly, if a quality of field of cars is in attendance, the fans will follow.

My only questions are these:

1.) Is this sustainable? Will FALS be able to follow-up 2019 with the same program again in 2020?

2.) What are the affects on racing with this change (tracks, racers, fan attendance, etc). Will it cause another track or tracks to consider closing because they lose their fans/car count to Fairbury? What if they draw 35 cars consistently... what happens to the 9 cars that don't make the feature... do they begin to attend a different track, drop a class or get out of racing all together?

3.) What other tracks attempt to follow FALS lead? I think many will watch what is happening and base their decisions on the successes and failures that FALS experience.

As a side note, many of the track owners/promoters I talk with say their weekly shows lose money for them. They do it to keep the racers and fans there and keep the facility operational and working well. The specials are where they make the money to offset the weekly shows...especially the mega events where fans camp and stay on-site for several days. I asked several promoters - what if your big event rains out? Their response, "Lord help me financially if I cannot run my big event. I will for sure take a huge loss for the year if I don't run that event."

While we all talk about the plight of the racer's expenses going up, promoters too are paying huge expense increases in insurance, fuel, labor costs, food costs, and more. Do yourself a favor... have a discussion with a promoter/track owner sometime to get a reality of what they face to be able to operate a weekly race track.

Good luck to FALS in 2019 - many eyes will be watching to see what happens.

Respectfully,
    Rich Olson
    Mpls, MN
    Last edited by FANSFund; 12-10-2018 at 01:25 PM.

After reading and listening to many respond to this great increased purse announcement saying that FALS can do this because of all the volunteers that are associated with FALS. I think we must remember now that Matt and a group own a majority of FALS that it is now a business and no longer a non profit organization. Will the staff, wrecker service ect…. keep volunteering now that someone is now making money off of the track? Maybe it's as simple as just paying for these volunteers admission to the track every week? I hope and truly believe that this will all be great for FALS. I can't wait for the season to start!! Been going to this GREAT track for over 45 years now and proud of what FALS has become!! Keep up the good work everyone.

On another note i wounder if this will help farmer city get a few more cars since a lot of cars come to race both.Its something that i have always wanted to do race farmer fri and fals sat that makes a decent paying weekend.