Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sounds like sponsors stepped up to help out.

We've asked for it and now we've got it...a bigger weekly purse! But I can't help myself in looking at the negative...

A purse like this most likely just killed Saturday night racing in our area, for the "average Joe" like me. Myself, and a host of others, stood a fighting chance at making a weekly feature when we went to Fairbury. But now, with guys from around St. Louis (and probably even farther) talking about making routine visits, a back marker like me shouldn't even bother showing up.

And while I don't know what Peoria's plans are for next year, I sure don't see them trying to compete with this (at least for Late Models). So while big car counts might seem like something great...at first...how long is it before Fairbury is the only track running Late Models on Saturday nights (in our area), and the car counts are back down to 15 or so?

And don't get me wrong. Matt is a great guy and has helped me more than once. He genuinely makes someone like me feel wanted at his track. But I can't help but wonder where this will take us...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    We've asked for it and now we've got it...a bigger weekly purse! But I can't help myself in looking at the negative...

A purse like this most likely just killed Saturday night racing in our area, for the "average Joe" like me. Myself, and a host of others, stood a fighting chance at making a weekly feature when we went to Fairbury. But now, with guys from around St. Louis (and probably even farther) talking about making routine visits, a back marker like me shouldn't even bother showing up.

And while I don't know what Peoria's plans are for next year, I sure don't see them trying to compete with this (at least for Late Models). So while big car counts might seem like something great...at first...how long is it before Fairbury is the only track running Late Models on Saturday nights (in our area), and the car counts are back down to 15 or so?

And don't get me wrong. Matt is a great guy and has helped me more than once. He genuinely makes someone like me feel wanted at his track. But I can't help but wonder where this will take us...
    Great comment...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Only on 4m could upping weekly purses be bad for weekly racing.lol

I would hate to be a promoter....

Darned if you do. Darned if you don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by thexfactor0210 View Post
    Sounds like sponsors stepped up to help out.
    I'm thinking that same thing!!

^^^ That wasn't my point. It might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, who knows. But for "me" I don't see that being the case.

Off topic, but I can only assume neither of you (Crossbones and Pennsboro) race yourselves. And I don't say that to sound insulting. But I have to be realistic for me. FALS is a two hour drive, and I do it without complaint when I get to go. But to now stand a much better chance at leaving with only $60 tow money, as opposed to start money before...you tell me how long you'd keep showing up with those odds.

^^^ That wasn't my point. It might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, who knows. But for "me" I don't see that being the case.

Off topic, but I can only assume neither of you (Crossbones and Pennsboro) race yourselves. And I don't say that to sound insulting. But I have to be realistic for me. FALS is a two hour drive, and I do it without complaint when I get to go. But to now stand a much better chance at leaving with only $60 tow money, as opposed to start money before...you tell me how long you'd keep showing up with those odds.
    If you’re barely surviving, maybe you should move down a class where it’s more economical?

^^^ I have thought about it, but Crates don't seem like the answer because I feel that with more rules just comes more cheating. And the suspension and driveability of Late Models is something I wouldn't want to give up, so only time will tell.

I appreciate the conversation and don't want to further detract from the original post. This is truly a great thing for the fan (in all of us)! Getting to see the likes of Weaver, Feger, Unzicker, Spatola, and the host of others, on a weekly basis at FALS has always been special. Now you will certainly see some new faces as well. It should be exciting!

You could still make some shows and be taking home $300 instead of $200 on those weekly shows. I am sure car counts wont be crazy every night but prolly in the mid 20's.

Obviously some sponsorship is involved in paying this big of purse. You’d never be able to pay that off attendance alone. A promoter has finally done the legwork to pay a decent purse. Kind of like Knoxville for the weekly sprints. Little town out in the middle of nowhere pays big money every week. No way attendance is paying that. Glad to see some positive dlm news for a change.

Thumbs up

^^^ I have thought about it, but Crates don't seem like the answer because I feel that with more rules just comes more cheating. And the suspension and driveability of Late Models is something I wouldn't want to give up, so only time will tell.

I appreciate the conversation and don't want to further detract from the original post. This is truly a great thing for the fan (in all of us)! Getting to see the likes of Weaver, Feger, Unzicker, Spatola, and the host of others, on a weekly basis at FALS has always been special. Now you will certainly see some new faces as well. It should be exciting!
    Jeff if you do come to Fairbury I hope you make the show on numerous occasions. I some what know the feeling with are modified team it's almost the same. About a 2 hour drive and not always easy for use to make a show but we genuinely love racing there and the folks are great from the track personal to the fellow competitors. Just like you we just keep trying and pushing forward. Fairbury is a "CLASS ACT TRACK".

JEFF Good luck next year.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - TBA
    2024 Season: 3 - Brownstown (IN) 1, Farmer City (IL) 1, & Kankakee (IL) 1

While I'm sure sponsors are a big part of Fairbury and Knoxvilles weekly shows, it might not be as far fetched as you may think. Knoxville has somewhere around 30 suites in the main Stands and more in the Museum/Clauson suites that are almost always sold out and I've been told they can get 3000 people for a weekly show. If Fairbury could get 1500 people in the Stands plus full pits they would be close to a break even.

I totally understand what you are saying. I just had a similar conversation with my son about it earlier today. Yes, it's great for the drivers and fans who can get there weekly, but I can't help but think that this will put a few tracks (that are already losing money trying to keep their track open) out of the game.
    No, I'm not going to bash Matt for his bold move and trying to do something to keep his track one of the best in the country. I just fear that is will speed up the extinction of weekly racing at more tracks who can't compete for the cars.
    The race fan in me likes to see this purse. The racer in me likes to see this purse. BUT as a guy who has watched tracks close and has been involved in trying to make financial sense of a racetrack, this scares the h3ll out of me.

I don't think it will be a big deal for the other area tracks. It's really just Peoria and Sycamore, and Sycamore doesn't even run supers every week. Peoria will still get the UMP points chasers and their regulars. I suppose Sycamore could lose a couple cars to Fairbury, but probably not too many. And I wouldn't worry about Highland or Pevely, since the long haul up I-55 would burn enough diesel to likely offset any incentive to chase the higher purse.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

now I'm not the smartest but I think Jet is asking for a sponsor???

give him a call and help him out

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    While I'm sure sponsors are a big part of Fairbury and Knoxvilles weekly shows, it might not be as far fetched as you may think. Knoxville has somewhere around 30 suites in the main Stands and more in the Museum/Clauson suites that are almost always sold out and I've been told they can get 3000 people for a weekly show. If Fairbury could get 1500 people in the Stands plus full pits they would be close to a break even.
    Do you know what they have been averaging the last couple of years on their weekly program? I'm just curious because, I don't know.

Lets not forget that mostly all of FALS workers are volunteers.
    8/13/16

Also add in beer and concessions sales. Along with pit passes. Fairbury may get close to break even as someone daid on here with attendance.

If you hauler burns 1200 dollars of fuel between St Louis and Fairbury, you need to unplug the Bully Dog tuner.