Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pat Patrick

Patrick is one of my very favorite drivers. Back when I first started reading about him, I didn't like him, but my first trip to Northern Kentucky Speedway changed my mind 100%. The track was about half as wide as it is now. He was the last off the gas going into the first turn as he set the car up perfectly near the top rails. What I was lead to believe about him being a rough driver was completely untrue, as he was one of the cleanest. Just wish he could have held on at Eldora that one year that he led almost all of the feature.

He made a trip to Barren County one time and won the Kentucky Classic. He had over 500 feature wins.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    I know this is random, but ...

He was one of my childhood favorites. He was a local guy who was big-time nationally too. Fast forward a few decades and I was interviewing him for a feature article in DLM Magazine. I never finished it because I was going through a divorce at the time and had to give up my weekend gig, but he was the most enjoyable interview I ever had. Just a great guy and great personality. With so many great stories! Is he still alive, and do any of you longtime fans have any recollections of this legend?
    I always felt that Pat had as much talent as anyone who ever got into a DLM. I knew him from the start of his career, and he was a character. Enjoyed him at Tri County speedway especially in his no. 5
    Couple of things kind of make me smile. First was his interviews after winning at Tri County speedway.
    Short and hilarious. An interviewer's nightmare. The other was his disastrous teaming up with Jim Cook in ZERO. Everyone thought it would be a raving success. NOPE. Jim and Pat just didn't jive plus the fact that Jim thought his drivers should practically sleep in his race cars. Not Pat, he drove in those days, period. So anyway we go to Eldora early in the year to see Pat and his new ride. ZERO. Well he qualifies all right but the dash starts and here comes Pat sideways all the way down the front straight away. Knowing Jim like a did, this was just not going to work. Obviously Pat went on to bigger and better things.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Patrick is one of my very favorite drivers. Back when I first started reading about him, I didn't like him, but my first trip to Northern Kentucky Speedway changed my mind 100%. The track was about half as wide as it is now. He was the last off the gas going into the first turn as he set the car up perfectly near the top rails. What I was lead to believe about him being a rough driver was completely untrue, as he was one of the cleanest. Just wish he could have held on at Eldora that one year that he led almost all of the feature.

He made a trip to Barren County one time and won the Kentucky Classic. He had over 500 feature wins.
    Where you been?

Quote Originally Posted by TS FAN View Post
    Where you been?
    I just don't know. I was abducted and put in a cellar somewhere. Even got water boarded!!!

LOL, but did you give in?

LOL, but did you give in?
    Absolutely Not!!!!

I just don't know. I was abducted and put in a cellar somewhere. Even got water boarded!!!
    That wasnt a cellar and it wasnt water boarded!
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

I always felt that Pat had as much talent as anyone who ever got into a DLM. I knew him from the start of his career, and he was a character. Enjoyed him at Tri County speedway especially in his no. 5
    Couple of things kind of make me smile. First was his interviews after winning at Tri County speedway.
    Short and hilarious. An interviewer's nightmare. The other was his disastrous teaming up with Jim Cook in ZERO. Everyone thought it would be a raving success. NOPE. Jim and Pat just didn't jive plus the fact that Jim thought his drivers should practically sleep in his race cars. Not Pat, he drove in those days, period. So anyway we go to Eldora early in the year to see Pat and his new ride. ZERO. Well he qualifies all right but the dash starts and here comes Pat sideways all the way down the front straight away. Knowing Jim like a did, this was just not going to work. Obviously Pat went on to bigger and better things.
    Why did Tri-County close? Wish I had got to see him race there. And where was that track at?

Tri County was black topped in 1973 and ruined everything. It was in Reading Ohio out on rte 42. It remained open as a race track until 1988 when it was bought and turned into a truck driving school. Bill Rewine build a DML palace in 1967 but thought in 1973 black topping it was the way to go. It wasn't. Their weekly shows when it was dirt compared to what you would now see at a 10,000 race. BTW when the black top track closed after 1987, their sponsor ships and a lot of the crowd migrated to Florence which started their ascent to a top rated place for racing.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    I know this is random, but ...

He was one of my childhood favorites. He was a local guy who was big-time nationally too. Fast forward a few decades and I was interviewing him for a feature article in DLM Magazine. I never finished it because I was going through a divorce at the time and had to give up my weekend gig, but he was the most enjoyable interview I ever had. Just a great guy and great personality. With so many great stories! Is he still alive, and do any of you longtime fans have any recollections of this legend?
    If i'm wrong, please forgive me but I believe he passed a couple of years ago ..I hope i'm wrong about this.

Quote Originally Posted by kd1 View Post
    If i'm wrong, please forgive me but I believe he passed a couple of years ago ..I hope i'm wrong about this.
    Yes he's gone . Just passed not long ago . Pat was one of the best .
    read post # 13 .

Tri County was black topped in 1973 and ruined everything. It was in Reading Ohio out on rte 42. It remained open as a race track until 1988 when it was bought and turned into a truck driving school. Bill Rewine build a DML palace in 1967 but thought in 1973 black topping it was the way to go. It wasn't. Their weekly shows when it was dirt compared to what you would now see at a 10,000 race. BTW when the black top track closed after 1987, their sponsor ships and a lot of the crowd migrated to Florence which started their ascent to a top rated place for racing.
    So is that the track they called Queen City then, at one time?

The first car I saw Patrick in was a white camaro with a red #5 on it, he won the feature at NKS aka Florence Speedway that night. They still had the old covered grandstand back then. If you stood up in the top row you could not see the whole track. lol

I believe it became Queen City Speedway sometime after it was black topped.
    I remember watching Pat Patrick drive the Morgan Chandler number 28 at Northern Ky Speedway with those big 4 barrel carbs sitting on top of a tunnel ram manifold. The carbs looked like they sitting 2 feet above the hood.

The first car I saw Patrick in was a white camaro with a red #5 on it, he won the feature at NKS aka Florence Speedway that night. They still had the old covered grandstand back then. If you stood up in the top row you could not see the whole track. lol
    That's right Clayton . When he was driving that car , he was almost unbeatable . It was
    the Morrison Electric Camaro . And I still remember that restart in 83 , with a few laps to go when
    What put Jeff Purvis on the big stage , passed him for the win .

at first pat had a car of his own. #5 then he drove for guys like cliff polking's #48, morgan chandler #28, larry Morrison's #5, tucker #3, stricker #68, marion martin #44 just to name a few. I got ahold of Morrison's scrap books and it was ridiculous the amount of wins they had. pat took care of us when we took our stuff to don's crankshaft where he worked before working for the city of Cincinnati where he retired. pat loved to talk about the old days and have a cold beer. R.I.P pat. you are missed!

I recall reading as kid the mid american and seeing queen city, attended several LM shows such as the Mansfield Johnny Appleseed (back in early 80s was pretty big deal) was he ever there? Also due to location did he run brown county often? Always wanted to check place out but didn't get chance. I remember seeing name in the MAARN paper

Didn't he drive The Zero car for cooks garage ?
    Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    I recall reading as kid the mid american and seeing queen city, attended several LM shows such as the Mansfield Johnny Appleseed (back in early 80s was pretty big deal) was he ever there? Also due to location did he run brown county often? Always wanted to check place out but didn't get chance. I remember seeing name in the MAARN paper
    He also raced at Clay City Ky. and also Whitewater Valley in Indiana

I have a MAARN paper with Patrick on the cover.

Retired - Snowbird ... Living the Dream