Default Bellhousing/starter?

Winters Bellhousing, starter engages idler and kicks it out fine, but half the time it just hits the flywheel and spins without engaging. I have replaced the bushing in the Idler, everything slides smoothly, and I can reach inside and slide the Idler into the flywheel with no problem. Anybody use a winters and have these problems?

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x

Have you tried shimming the flywheel?

or changing the starter. may be a Bendix issue
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

when I push idler in by hand...it engages fully into the flywheel, just sometimes doesn't engage the teeth, just spins against the flywheel.

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x

Starters are a huge pain in the... Anyway, i like to take the bendix loose and wind it out about a 1/4 inch and then weld it in place. So basically you your moving the gear out on the bendix shaft about a 1/4 inch, and when you hit the starter it protrudes out a lot further and moves the Idler into the flywheel better.

Just say no...

I think Ill give that a try...sounds like it could work. Thanks.

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x

As Punisher88 said, Most of the time when you have that happening, it's too large a gap on the idler to flywheel assuming nothing is dirty or sticking.

More then .080 gap when static will cause issues, shimming the flywheel back on the crank with the shims is the first place to start and often never checked. Most of them are .120 or more and shimming it will usually solve the issue.

Good luck

Do what Billet said. I can about guarantee the gap between the flywheel and the starter gear is too wide. A little too narrow is better than too wide. And remember you can shim the starter back if you go too far on the flywheel.