Thread: Tire Planer

Default Tire Planer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3x6j5VAPxwoWhat is that tool they are using on the tire at around the 1:56 mark in this video?

Looks a lot like this tool modified for tire duty.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PL1632-...andheld+planer

Looks like a sipe / roller on the back, i wonder if they are running a planer then siping on the back roller? Very cool.

Just say no...

I thought it was pretty cool as well. Never seen anything like that before I was hoping someone would know who was selling them.

buy a wood plainer from say Menards, Home Depot. I have a Bosch
    they are putting a roller on the back and front to control the tool easier. the fresh rubber that exposed once it has been skimmed, makes the tool want to jump around and not stay on the tire smooth.
    baby powder helps, but this makes it a lot more consistent.
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 12-18-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

I have that tool. The key to making it work is to make sure you have it set so it only takes a sliver off the tire. take to much and it grabs and jumps. So when you first get it, mess with an old no good tire first lol. But once you have it set, its easy to use and works awesome. I dont know about late model tires, with them being softer it may be different. Ours gets used on those hockey puck POS g60s.

Cool thanks guys, so when do you use this vs. grinding?

here it is. lots of different portable planers on amazon from around $40 and up https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ASDU7G...545194269&sr=3

I had seen this discussed before and someone said it didn't work well on soft tires like the M30 Hoosier UMP tire.
    Last edited by daytonagary; 12-18-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raceking26 View Post
    I have that tool. The key to making it work is to make sure you have it set so it only takes a sliver off the tire. take to much and it grabs and jumps. So when you first get it, mess with an old no good tire first lol. But once you have it set, its easy to use and works awesome. I dont know about late model tires, with them being softer it may be different. Ours gets used on those hockey puck POS g60s.
    Is the theory to get sharp edges back? Or just remove sealed surface?

I watched a late model competitor use a hand planer on his new WRS 2 tires. He used it only on the outer edge of a brand new tire before he buffed it with sand paper. I figured he was trying to square up (flatten) the outer edge of the tire.