Default Dirt Track at Rockingham Speedway?

New owners of Rockingham Speedway are considering a dirt track as part of the speedway's complex. "Little Rock" the test track built in the speedway's back-stretch parking lot could be converted to an active dirt track.... https://goo.gl/ce9xD2

Kinda on a slightly related note. I saw today Bob Sargent is opening back up the Milwaukee Mile.

They would definitely have to bring in every shovel load of dirt from elsewhere. Nothing but sand down there

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Kinda on a slightly related note. I saw today Bob Sargent is opening back up the Milwaukee Mile.
    Do you know what they plan on running there?

If the new owners intend to make a living in racing, then a dirt track is MANDATORY!

I wish they could invest in the Rock to get NASCAR back, but know that’s not in the cards. If NASCAR still had Rockingham, North Wilkesboro, old Atlanta and Charlotte without the dumb doglegs they would be in a better position attendance and viewership wise I want to believe.

Agree Tireguy Rockingham is the kind of track that rose Nascar to prominence, no aero just good ol mechanical grip...

North Wilkesboro was never coming back even 10-15 yrs ago.

Not sure on the Milwaukee Mile yet.

Sounds like Nascar will be coming to Nashville soon.

People scream and yell about bringing Rockingham and North Wilkesboro back all the time. Andy Hillenburg tried to bring Rockingham back and no one showed up.

Ain't that the truth. Went to all the races Andy put on and nobody much came to see the events ….. and they really were sort of fun events. In truthfulness though, the track really was too big for much other than NASCAR and the separately owned drag strip across the street eliminated that option for the property. The mystery bidder at the Hillenburg auction win was going to knock everything down and make an industrial park. That probably will be the track's fate.

The two truck races Andy hosted seemed to be well attended, and momentum building. NASCAR didn't cut him much slack, mandating the installation of soft walls, for the trucks, $1 million or so, and then for 2013, all NASCAR tracks had to have a totally re-designed front-stretch/grandstand catch fence. Kyle Larson's crash in the 2013 Nationwide race at Daytona, quickly brought about that sudden and unexpected expense. Sure, cars-in-the-stands are possible at the 'plate tracks, but in all the decades of Rock- racing, the grandstands were never threatened. For the Rock, it was the last nail in the coffin. The 1-mile speedway probably won't generate a lot of interest without a 'Cup event....anything less, ARCA etc, etc, won't really move the needle. This current idea concerns the possible future of 'little Rock'; not so much the big track. Could a dirt track be a step in the right direction? Could any form of racing successfully exist at the Rock? It could be a starting point. Times seem to be changing. NASCAR appears to be realizing they've ignored their own fans for far too long. The Rock could be well positioned.

If you leave The Rock going towards Rockingham on U.S. 1, there was a dirt track down on the left not too far from the big track. Some of the old time locals might chime in on that one as I don't recall the name.

NASCAR is dead. I used to love it but have had zero interest since they started the whole 1st quarter, halftime, third quarter and fourth quarter and playoffs thing. I’ll never go back unless they get rid of the segments antics. It won’t happen though. They think we’re dumb and need to be more entertained. It’s like watching Hans fall from Nakatomi... you’re going to die and who the f cares. Yippyki yay mf

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    If you leave The Rock going towards Rockingham on U.S. 1, there was a dirt track down on the left not too far from the big track. Some of the old time locals might chime in on that one as I don't recall the name.
    The old dirt track was named "Rockingham Speedway". It's heyday was the '60's, often ran in conjunction with the dirt Sanford Motor Speedway. JD,and Glen McDuffie, and Wayne Andrews, among others, were stars

By the way...…

"On August 30, 2018 a group of North Carolina investors named Rockingham Properties LLC. completed the purchase of the track. New ownership announced four days later that racing would be returning to the track in some form in the near future. "

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleZero View Post
    The old dirt track was named "Rockingham Speedway". It's heyday was the '60's, often ran in conjunction with the dirt Sanford Motor Speedway. JD,and Glen McDuffie, and Wayne Andrews, among others, were stars
    Thanks Bobby! Somehow I knew that you knew! I do remember how poorly lit it was. LOL!