Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gateway Dirt Nationals

I just saw on Twitter that the GDN official page put a poll up asking if they should do invite only for late models next year. What’s you guys opinions? Right now the results are about 50/50 on Twitter. Me personally I think if invitation style is good enough for midgets and mods then it’s good enough for late models. Ideally I’d like to see open entry (up to a certain number of entries) for all 3 classes but I know that’s not necessarily feasible.

I also saw a tweet from Cody saying dates for the next 3 years will be announced soon which is great to hear the event will be back.

I'd just like to know what has to take place for a driver to get a invite? Let's take Welshan and Zobrist for instance. Those guys dont hardly travel or race against the bigger names in the sport very much at all. I'd hate to see them get shunned because they didn't do whatever they had to do to get an invite. Even if it is just winning a race at your local race track, we all know that doesn't come very easy anymore to begin with.

I think invite only will definetly help the quality of cars be better. I'm not so sure it would help the racing though. I think the track quality should be the number one thing they should tackle. That's just my opinion.

That’s why I’m kinda torn on the invite thing. On one hand for guys like Zobrist and Welshan, this event has allowed them to get their name out there way more than they could otherwise and would likely not get an invite if it wasn’t for their performances at the dome. It’d be doing a huge disservice to guys like that. But at the same time if you want to speed up the show and keep the track in better shape, then I think the easiest way to do that is by limiting entries. Like I said I’d love to see open entries for all 3 classes but I also know that the track can’t handle the abuse of 300+ cars over 3 days.

A format I would like to see is make it a full show each night but only run 2 classes each night. Run midgets/mods Thursday, supers/midgets Friday, mods/supers Saturday for example. In theory that would allow you to have more cars in each class but run fewer total laps on the track each night.

Another take on that would be to have a pre qualifying type of show on Wednesday. Guys not invited could show up & run. Top 10 or some other # get to move on & run the rest of the weekend. This should also help the track get run in more for the rest of the week also.

If I may, quote the infamous huskerdirt.

"Ok. Thanks."

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?387896-Gateway

Maybe have multiple "qualifying" type races throughout the year at at different tracks with some type of Gateway point system to gain an invitation.

Just a thought.....

Definitely a double edge sword. the event really can't continue to grow if the entrys are limited. B. Look at a guy like Logan Roberson that was his only super start of the year and he definitely deserved to be their from a performance standpoint. I think maybe a modified format maybe something like eldora where Thursday their is time trials and only x amount move forward and maybe the rest can go to a tow money race with the option of racing the rest of the weekend

No to super invites
    2023 Races - WoO at TST

I would have to lean towards no on the invite. I think they should look at improving the track conditions more for LM’s. Add another barrier height of bank in each corner and find someone that can work it to keep the holes out. Better track surface = better racing and less cautions.

I say NO. That sounds to much like discrimination to me.JMO.

Angry

My answer to the poll - As I posted on twitter yesterday.
    H*!! NO. Because then you take away from guys like Chad Zorbist, Jeff Herzog, & Jason Welshan who would be there if they where able to do so.
    If you go by invite do they get one each year they want to be there.
    The World isn't by invite so why should this be.
    It's racing.
    Not a popularity contest.
    Which I'll bet it would turn into!
    I go to races to see the locals just as I go to see the stars race.
    I want to see a race not a popularity pageant.
    Last edited by HoosierDirtFan; 12-20-2018 at 02:49 PM.
    Nathan Stephens

Next Race - Rumble in Ft Wayne. Indoor Midget show. Sat., 12/30/23
    2023 Season: Tracks 13 & Races 40 & States AL, IL, IN, NC, OH, WI
    Brownstown (IN) 2, Eldora (OH) 3, Fairbury (IL) 9, Grundy County (IL) 1, Kankakee (IL) 7, Kokomo (IN) 2, Lincoln (IL) 1, Shadyhill (IN) 6, Spoon River (IL) 1, Talladega Short Track (AL) 3, The Dirt Track at Charlotte (NC) 3, & Wilmot (WI) 1

What about all the regional super late model tour champions from across the country, since 99% season is over with by that time of year, I think that would be a cool deal

They definitely need to do that because the shows are way too long. I heard several people say they were not coming back if they did not do something to get the shows over sooner.
    Last edited by fryefan; 12-20-2018 at 10:19 PM.

I don't like the invite, for the same reasons mentioned above. Also on the mods there's nothing clear cut as to what gets you an invite. I'm not trying to knock Pierce for racing all 3 classes but he took a spot from a mod driver by racing that class.
    T3G - Never Forget, Hardly Remember
    Eastbay (5)

Quote Originally Posted by LMNED10 View Post
    What about all the regional super late model tour champions from across the country, since 99% season is over with by that time of year, I think that would be a cool deal
    At least half of those guys don't show up now, how is inviting them going to change that?
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Open for lates, invite the best 50 midgets in the country and this is probably gonna be a unpopular vote but I say cut the modifieds out. Sorry Kenny Wallace. Get a late model

Quote Originally Posted by dirt junkie View Post
    Open for lates, invite the best 50 midgets in the country and this is probably gonna be a unpopular vote but I say cut the modifieds out. Sorry Kenny Wallace. Get a late model
    I hate to say it because I am a modified fan, but they would prob not lose a single ticket sale if they were to do that. Besides the pit passes and modified teams of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    I hate to say it because I am a modified fan, but they would prob not lose a single ticket sale if they were to do that. Besides the pit passes and modified teams of course...
    If you get rid of mods, you could probably do open but capped entry for midgets. Cap at 100, pay entry fee and security deposit that each team gets back when they enter the Dome.

Idk how many mods got an invite, but maybe just lower to like 30 entries.. All*Stars of the Illiana area. Pay a little less out. Quicken up the show, still have a good show. Maybe that's enough to allow more midget invites. (Maybe not for sake of timing. But, I personally don't have a problem with length of show. But I also have not attended and been borderline held hostage at the thing.)
    "The Wise One"

Do 40 invites then 40 signups. Let the signups run dual features wednesday night and take the top 5 from each then send the rest home.