Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another dirt track bought out for housing

Yuppies are taking over !

Just say no...

This has been in the works for some time.

Hate this happened, this was a cool little place.

But they are willing to donate everything to somebody who wants to relocate the track. It wouldn't be that difficult to move everything to a more isolated area.

61 years and then a "new"(3 years) neighbor decides maybe the racetrack is an issue for them... This is an old song, West Atlanta(7 Flags) Speedway went the same way. What was even dumber about West Atlanta was the guy leading the complaint was the same guy who built the track to begin with but had sold it. $375K seems low for a functioning profitable race track, but I'm not sure how much property was involved. Racetracks seem to be like Indian reservations, no matter where they move to somebody decides they want their property more than they do. Dixie Speedway makes out because its backed up to a land fill, I guess more tracks should try that. 61 Years and poof. Personally, even though the buyer sounds sympathetic in his PR news piece, I think most likely they knew 3 years ago when they started their project that they would do away with the track. Could it be the track was being leased and the lease was finally up and the track owner had to wait to sell it until now?
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

To echo... track there for 61 years; company builds houses and marina next to track; that track needs to be moved to a more suitable area. Yea, that sounds right.
    "The Wise One"

Quote Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
    To echo... track there for 61 years; company builds houses and marina next to track; that track needs to be moved to a more suitable area. Yea, that sounds right.
    KLMS got the same complaint, and it’s gone How long until Florence starts to get complaints? They keep slapping down McMansions all around the Union area. Rich, entitled @ssholes generally have the courts on their side, no matter how foolish their complaints seem. Who was there first is generally ignored in cases of development. Politicians see tax base increases from subdivisions, potential new voters, and nothing else.
    We'll miss ya Doc Watson...

It always makes me sad and a little mad when a track that has been open forever suffers this fate. I never went to Winchester,but I've been by it twice. Crazy that it was right in town. Money talks. It always does,always has,and always will.

I-30 Speedway in near Little Rock just keeps hanging on. It's right at one of the last truly undeveloped exits on the interstate. A huge outlet mall and Bass Pro opened just a few years ago right down the road. The whole Benton/Bryant area has exploded with white flight from Little Rock. They're building McMansions and Big Box stores where cow pastures and modest older houses used to be. I haven't been there in a long time,but the track was there a LONG time before any of this was built.

I will say this. My wife and I had friends who lived a stone's throw from the track,and didn't care much for the track and the noise. I was like what-ever,you knew it was there. We were only up there once while the races were going on. I used their bathroom,and it sounded like the cars were going to come through the wall. You could hear them coming down the front stretch,and then then the noise would get quieter as they went down the backstretch.
    Formerly 66#1

My family grew up 5 miles from Shadybowl and you can hear them go down the frontstretch and backstretch when you sit outside. We used to go every Saturday night and when they test days on Wednesday you could hear them. I knew a family that lives right down the road and the track has been there since like 1946. They like it cause they can drive there in 4 minutes and sometimes if it rains they go home and wait til they hear engines refire lol.

t3r we were talking about expansion and wondering how soon Florence would be gone. Almost seems inevitable with the crazy growth headed toward the track. Every year driving in for the N/S it seems worse.

Money talks. The people that own the development and marina had the cash to buy the track and close it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomerdirtking View Post
    t3r we were talking about expansion and wondering how soon Florence would be gone. Almost seems inevitable with the crazy growth headed toward the track. Every year driving in for the N/S it seems worse.
    Forty years ago Union and Richwood were just little drive throughs. Now there are many acres of solid housing complexes that are within three and a half miles of Florence Speedway and one little complex has sprung up within a mile and a half of the track. I hate to see this, but Florence just grew to the south and someday it might come to an end. I've made many a long trip to this track and often considered it my home track.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Forty years ago Union and Richwood were just little drive throughs. Now there are many acres of solid housing complexes that are within three and a half miles of Florence Speedway and one little complex has sprung up within a mile and a half of the track. I hate to see this, but Florence just grew to the south and someday it might come to an end. I've made many a long trip to this track and often considered it my home track.
    As someone that lives in Union, I will say that for whatever reason, the noise doesn't seem to travel all that well to the neighborhoods. Maybe it's the lay of the land and the foliage, but it just seems to drown out. I can hear the cannon at Ryle high school way more clearly than the race track. There's a lot of noise surrounding the area too, with the interstate, 42 traffic and the airplanes having a pretty direct path over top of those houses.

When a area around a racetrack gets developed residents understand what is there. The promotor, if he plays nice with his new neighbors, can usually hold out until the price is just to good to pass on. If there so willing to GIVE everything away. Why doesn't the promotor go find another pc of property ?

I new this deal was going down it was actually made about 4 months ago did anybody hear what they gave for it they ran the first race there in about 51or 52.

Belle Clair, Highland, and Godfey, which Godfrey got turned into a concrete plant in 2006, have all suffered the same complaints. A kid named Chip Thomas who used to race at Belle Clair his father tried to build an asphalt track with Nascar sanctioning around my area off interstate 64 around Ofallon Il and people were fighting him tooth and nail because they said it would be too noisy, we even went out and got petitions signed to no avail he finally gave up. Funny thing was it was gna be only about a half a mile from Scott Air Force Base is Shiloh il lol, they went to places like Lebanon and Lakeside and took decible readings and they were equivalent to an air conditioner running, I guess that was too loud for them, but airplanes arent smh...

Quote Originally Posted by JCSullivan00 View Post
    As someone that lives in Union, I will say that for whatever reason, the noise doesn't seem to travel all that well to the neighborhoods. Maybe it's the lay of the land and the foliage, but it just seems to drown out. I can hear the cannon at Ryle high school way more clearly than the race track. There's a lot of noise surrounding the area too, with the interstate, 42 traffic and the airplanes having a pretty direct path over top of those houses.
    Sounds like a good thing, that it's not loud for sure.

So no more winter fest

Winterfest moves to Duck river Raceway Park - Wheel Tn. on February 16th 2019