Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driver ID

Default Driver ID

What late model driver currently lives in Mt. Airy, NC and presently drives a gas truck? Said to have driven the Tobacco Special and the Dunn-Benson car, among others, and won over 100 races. Was it Phil Hall?

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    What late model driver currently lives in Mt. Airy, NC and presently drives a gas truck? Said to have driven the Tobacco Special and the Dunn-Benson car, among others, and won over 100 races. Was it Phil Hall?
    Could be but he hasnt drove in quite a few yrs.
    Billy hicks drove the tabacco special car also but he now owns H&H auto and funds his own #79 cars. He shares seat time w current driver down town brown.
    Last edited by SLIDING SIDEWAYS; 01-04-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

It has been quite a number of years since this person has driven a race car. A friend had a few beers and chicken wings with him last night and talked for several hours. Maybe a few beers too many because the friend couldn't remember the name. He did say it was not Billy Hicks, who he remembers. The man said he got into it with Donnie Moran somewhere in the past because Moran drove him into the wall, almost hitting a steel post that would have killed him. Old war stories, I suppose.

I would put money on Phil Hall. Not sure on the Moran piece but he has lived in Mt. Airy and driven both of those cars.

Mike Chilton

ezeee1 you are probably correct, haven't seen him in quite a few years but always liked him.

It wouldn't be Ray Tucker would it?

Tucker drove for Rodney Ritch but I don't remember him driving for Dunn-Benson. I see him from time to time racing with his son, another fun guy to be around.

It has been quite a number of years since this person has driven a race car. A friend had a few beers and chicken wings with him last night and talked for several hours. Maybe a few beers too many because the friend couldn't remember the name. He did say it was not Billy Hicks, who he remembers. The man said he got into it with Donnie Moran somewhere in the past because Moran drove him into the wall, almost hitting a steel post that would have killed him. Old war stories, I suppose.
    Not surprised by that story one bit. He was a dangerous driver IMO.

Ray Tucker drove the Dunn Benson Ford back in the day. I didn't realize he did either until I saw a pic of the DB ride on the wall in Ray's shop. I asked him about it but can't remember what year he said he drove it. This was back in 2010 or 2011 when we were there buying Rocket from him

Donnie Moran was as clean a driver as I've ever seen. That's one of the many reasons why he was one of my all-time favorites. I did a lot of interviews with a lot of drivers back in the day. I never once heard anyone say anything bad about Donnie.

Thanks guy for trying. It wasn't Ray Tucker because the friend would know him. I don't know Mike Chilton. Is he currently a driver hauling gasolinr and 50-60 years old?

I would say he is in his 50's, and I do know he was a truck driver just not sure on the gasoline side. Even after he was no longer driving the Tobacco Special he would drive the rig for them.

There are three Mike Chiltons in Mt. Airy......59,62, and 63 years old. I saw a 1998 311 writeup and he finished that race in 4th place to Gary Mabe in the late model division. If Chilton drove the Tobacco Special car, then that must be who my friend met last night. I had not heard of Chilton driving the Lamm car but lots of people did in the pre-Pearson days. Thanks! I'll pass your knowledge along.

There are three Mike Chiltons in Mt. Airy......59,62, and 63 years old. I saw a 1998 311 writeup and he finished that race in 4th place to Gary Mabe in the late model division. If Chilton drove the Tobacco Special car, then that must be who my friend met last night. I had not heard of Chilton driving the Lamm car but lots of people did in the pre-Pearson days. Thanks! I'll pass your knowledge along.
    Tell ur buddy not to drink so much so he can remember who he chatted with besides elvis!🤔🤔

jog49, know it is off topic but what is going on with Dublin? Haven't been there in years but always liked that place and i know you use to help them out quite a bit.

It was Mike Chilton he drove few races back in the day for Big C ,Tucker drove for Big C in 1990 or 1991 if my memory serves me correct .

Don't know who specifically the question is referring to but Ray Tucker definitely drove the Benson Ford. I believe he even won a Stars race in it at Gaffney. He also drove Rumleys black number 6 prior to driving the Benson Ford and won some races in it.

Hey ready2rd...... are you dunn benson's spokesperson since u tight w them or are u just a loose spoke in the pits?🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by TerryM View Post
    Donnie Moran was as clean a driver as I've ever seen. That's one of the many reasons why he was one of my all-time favorites. I did a lot of interviews with a lot of drivers back in the day. I never once heard anyone say anything bad about Donnie.
    Donnie would drive the touring drivers clean because next week he was with them again...but he would rub tap or lift a local ..Seen him lean on locals amost every time he came to their track.
    I want URR Unified Rules Racing .