Default AFCO 13T series shocks VS. their older style

So I bought a box of 11 shocks a while back... mostly AFCO oil 13T series but I also got a few of the older style oil shocks.

I had my local AFCO dealer revalve the newer shocks but he told me to throw away the older ones as parts were not available to revalve those.

I had another shock guy in the area tell me he can get what I need to rebuild and revalve those older units.

My question is I need a 7" shock for the 5th coil... do you guys think one of those older deals will work OK?

I remember that there's a way to ID the older one from the newer style... something about the shape of the shock's machined cap? Don't remember...

Anybody?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    So I bought a box of 11 shocks a while back... mostly AFCO oil 13T series but I also got a few of the older style oil shocks.I had my local AFCO dealer revalve the newer shocks but he told me to throw away the older ones as parts were not available to revalve those.I had another shock guy in the area tell me he can get what I need to rebuild and revalve those older units.My question is I need a 7" shock for the 5th coil... do you guys think one of those older deals will work OK? I remember that there's a way to ID the older one from the newer style... something about the shape of the shock's machined cap? Don't remember...Anybody?
    For the cost of parts vs performance the older stuff is not worth messing with. The old stuff is identified visually by the body it will be the same size from top to bottom. The newer stuff has a bulge near there top of the body. The coil over nut will only go on from the shaft end

Yeah so the internals in the older shock are junk.... parts are available though to convert it to the new shim style though.... probably looking at around $100 though to have to rebuilt and changed over... that’s if it doesn’t need a shaft or rodguide

I have to find my older style shocks... my shop got re-arranged without my knowledge a few months ago and I'm still finding stuff.

AFAIK the newer style that I had rebuilt/revalved for me all have a straight body... non-adjustable style. I got five or six back that my shock guy sez were the old style that he won't mess with...

The hunt will continue.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019