Default Leaf spring u bolt alternatives?

Has anyone tried just using bolts instead of u bolts? I am looking at using a floater mount and just use bolts and weld the mount to the rear end. Any reason you would have to run u bolts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If doing what I'm thinking, get round tube with slightly bigger ID then od of axle tube. Weld perch to that tube, slide over axle tube and ubolt to spring.

fast boys set up?
    white trash motorsports

Default u bolt nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    If doing what I'm thinking, get round tube with slightly bigger ID then od of axle tube. Weld perch to that tube, slide over axle tube and ubolt to spring.

You also have to use locking collars on both sides of the bigger id tube over the axle tube, have to prevent it from moving on the axle tube side to side. I would also make it greasable so it can be lubed, or put a bronze/brass bushing that is greasable. Do not want dry steel on steel rotation, it will Gaul up.
    You also have to run the u bolts over that same bigger tube OD tube. Which will be a pain in the a$$ because if using a standard racing lower spring/shock mount, the bigger od of that tube will require a wider U bolt, which will have to be squeezed together to get it through the racing lower spring /shock plate.

Link Pigen52 stated you could make your own perch with a plate that is wide enough to hit the holes on the bottom spring bracket. just use 1/2 bolts to sandwich the spring, instead of the u bolts.

I know I am stating the obvious here, but just wanted to put it out there. that it is not as simple as stated above in the quoted post.

Just my opinion
    JAD
    Last edited by JustAddDirt; 04-04-2019 at 10:40 AM.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Not very many leaf springers with floaters have been successful. Fast boys may be the exception but you'd better like a really tight car and I don't.
    Most people think you can't do much in the way of adjustments with leafs. I've had them on every car I've owned for nearly 60 years and still finding new ways to adjust them and my cars get faster every year. The current car has over 27 combinations and I'm sure I'll find a few more. We regularly beat 3 links and 4 bars but those do have an advantage on dry slick. Luckily we run more sticky than dry tracks.

Southwest speed has the mount already made. Hammond motorsports also makes one. You can choose to keep it locked if your rules do not allow a floater, or unbolt it if they do.