Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide 5 snout?

Default Wide 5 snout?

I haven't had time to look, but figured someone might know off hand. Is there a 5" x 5 or 4 3/4" x 5 wheel pattern hub that fits a wide 5 rearend snout?
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 01-08-2019 at 06:11 PM.

not that im aware of , thats mostly GN stuff , are you trying to put this pattern hub on wide 5 snout ? i ask because i will call a buddy that was trying to do this for a mod or street stock , but havnt talked to him in a while to see if he did it.....
    Last edited by fastford; 01-08-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    not that im aware of , thats mostly GN stuff , are you trying to put this pattern hub on wide 5 snout ? i ask because i will call a buddy that was trying to do this for a mod or street stock , but havnt talked to him in a while to see if he did it.....
    Yes, basically need a standard auto wheel pattern of any kind. I really didn't figure there was but you never know or maybe there was a hub that with the right bearings could work but I really doubt it.

It's to put a LM on a wheel hub dyno. It would just take a large piece of material to make an adapter because it ends up fairly wide as it has to clear the drive plate and I also need one for each side. Just figured I'd ask before I start working on drawing and machining something, instead of simply changing hubs if it was possible.

The normal adapters you find allow a wide 5 wheel to be installed on a regular auto bolt pattern but that don't work the other way around.

If they were the 2 7/8" bearing type I think you can swap the hubs. But with the standard wide 5 I don't think so. If you are going to machine some adapters, just make them to bolt to the drive flange. It's not like you are going to bump wheels.

thats a good idea racer2e , you could cut out a plate to go on top of the drive plates and use longer bolts , probably the simplest solution.......

that is an adapter to run wide 5 wheels on regular hubs , he needs it the other way...

Quote Originally Posted by racer2e View Post
    If they were the 2 7/8" bearing type I think you can swap the hubs. But with the standard wide 5 I don't think so. If you are going to machine some adapters, just make them to bolt to the drive flange. It's not like you are going to bump wheels.
    Yes, I thought of that. My worry was how true is the top of the driveplate, but Guess I could just sandwich it between the hub and drive plate and just use a 1" longer axle to compensate. I should probably indicate the top of one and see if how true they are as on top might not be an issue and save the axle changes also. If the bolts hold on the track they will be fine on the dyno, but I better check with the owner of said dyno as it is a very very expensive one and could understand if he has some concerns. There is also and adapter that bolts on the 5" x 5 std wheel hubs and then to the dyno that has what appears to be a 7 to 8" diameter that bolts together so it might be just as easy to go from the wide 5 to that dyno pattern. Gonna have to make a trip up there or get the dimensions from him to see which is easier or better.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an easy hub change before spending several hours drawing and machining something if there was a hub out there that bolted on.

i like the idea of longer axle and put it between , would probably run a lo truer....i would think 1/2 inch plate would be strong enough and you could run the bolt on the other end of axle out that much or put a longer bolt in it....are you going to hook a dyno to just one side of axle ?

i like the idea of longer axle and put it between , would probably run a lo truer....i would think 1/2 inch plate would be strong enough and you could run the bolt on the other end of axle out that much or put a longer bolt in it....are you going to hook a dyno to just one side of axle ?
    It attaches to both axles.

Similar dyno shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTb9Cthk1kY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDs-ixtmug

They are an actual brake dyno like an engine dyno not a wheel dyno that uses a weighted rolled and calculates HP by know weight of roller and time over MPH.

that is an adapter to run wide 5 wheels on regular hubs , he needs it the other way...
    But for the money machining and adding studs where needed would be easy. Just a thought anyway.

Why is the guy in the car with a helmet on and the operator standing next to the car isn't? Seems odd.

The drive plate and rest of hub sticks out from the wide 5 wheel surface several inches, your not gaining anything by trying to use it to add onto.

As far as the helmet, a funny car style cage will about kill you if you try to drive one on the street without a helmet. The bars are so close to you head that normal street driving you will knock yourself out. So on the dyno pull you will likely hit your head from the shaking of the car during the run. If it don't knock you out, it will for sure hurt. Even with padding on the bars trying to street drive one is extremely hard without a helmet and I mean normal street driving not being stupid or hot rodding at all. I know several that had issues just driving in a parade or during a car show.

Billet if it's a load oriented dyno your looking for. Their are also eddy current dynos. Mustang dynos use this process aswell as the newer dyno jets. These dynos can simulate vehicle weight aswell as aero drag that is of course if you know the frontal area and other relevant numbers. They also can do steady state testing. And they both use a traditional roller vs the hub mounted

gotta swap axel tubes to run G/N hubs, how the owm guys do it!
    white trash motorsports

Would this work?
    doesn't look like the GN snout.

http://www.colemanracing.com/Hub-Sportsman-P3997.aspx
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    Would this work?

Hmm, looks a little short on the distance between the bearings to actually be a wide 5 snout. I'm guessing since the snout is also for sell, it may be something special or different but I will check it out, Thanks.

I pretty much got it handled how I'm gonna make the adapters, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a simple hub change solution.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    Would this work?

I believe Coleman called this the mini 5 hub. Uses the same bearings, shorter spacing.

I thought someone had a hub to go on wide 5 snouts, just cannot remember who.
    Howe, maybe?
    Last edited by 95shaw; 01-15-2019 at 06:22 AM.

Me 2 and for some reason I think it was Coleman. They had a long wide 5 style snout. But that was back 10 years or so ago I seem to remember seeing several of them on 9” fords with small bolt patterns
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Call Coleman...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Thought I'd update this: Never found a hub so just made some adapters the easy way. Mounts off the drive plate and then to a 5 x 5 regular wheel pattern