Default More Daytona Happenings...

Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Some of the names on their, holy cow. Won’t even begin to single any out.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

We've attended the annual parade this organization (Auto Racing Legends) sponsors on the beach during NASCAR Speedweeks every year. It's been a few years back but the impression is lasting. Even though the racing on Daytona Beach was well before my time I find it exceedingly interesting to look at the cars that actually raced on the beach/road course.

A parade is held on the area of the beach where the North Turn of the long gone beach-road course was located back in the 1930's through the early 1960's. There is a beachfront restaurant called The North Turn (obviously) located on the spot where the old North Turn was located back before DIS was built in 1958-59. Good place to eat with a lot of memorabilia and pictures from the beach racing days. We eat there every time we get to the Daytona/New Smyrna area and, in fact, ate there this past New Year's Eve afternoon. Great food, great view of the beach and the Atlantic Ocean.

Anyone who is going to be in Florida to attend the races at Volusia Speedway Park the week leading up to the conclusion of Florida Speedweeks would probably find this parade to be a very cool happening.

Lots of memories in those pics. I saw part of the next to last of the beach races in Daytona while on vacation from a cold Ohio winter with my folks. Only saw part 'cause my parents weren't fans of racing and, in fact, only came to watch me race 1 time. Loved the ole '30s-'40s Sportsmen & Modifieds then & still do.

The early '60s pic of Shirley Muldowney, the best of the female drag racers, might be appreciated by Buckeye fans (CNBF) in that she had a summer cottage at Geneva-on-the-Lake and often spent time there. Cool gal.

The legends parade is largely the efforts of the owners of the North Turn Restaurant. I've driven my vintage '37 Plymouth modified in three of these parades, including the inaugural one in 2013. It's pretty special to go through the old south turn, down at Ponce Inlet, and transition on to the beach strand.