Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UMP motor options

I'm in IMCA land but was thinking about trying to venture over into UMP country a little and maybe even try to run a few weeks of the Summer Nationals.

I've seen people that run 800 hp 13° 415s on down to people talk about running a 23° 377. What's everyone's opinion on a good usable combinations? Is anyone having any luck with the LS crate motor?

It really depends on the track. I run a UMP Mod. I have two different engine combos, both 23 degree. A 358 and a 380. Both have good heads and full roller valve train. I am down a bit of power during qualifying, but it isn't noticeable after that. This is on a 3/8 mile gumbo track. On smaller bullrings, my 358 is perfect. Having a good smooth setup is way more important then a few more hp. The UMP tire adds a ton of traction over the IMCA tire.

I see you use smaller cubic inch motors, what is the HP on those motors. Was thinking of a 383 flat top flat tappet.on a 3/8 very slick. Essentially no clay very little bite. The other is a bullring tacky. Through heats. Do think 500 hp is enough?
    The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also are enemies; probably because they are generally the same people...
    G.K. Chesterton

WOW. Guys around this part of UMP Country are looking at 390-420ci and at least 18 degree if not 15' stuff.

over half the field up our way have high dollar mullens motors

Quote Originally Posted by dirtracerl77 View Post
    It really depends on the track. I run a UMP Mod. I have two different engine combos, both 23 degree. A 358 and a 380. Both have good heads and full roller valve train. I am down a bit of power during qualifying, but it isn't noticeable after that. This is on a 3/8 mile gumbo track. On smaller bullrings, my 358 is perfect. Having a good smooth setup is way more important then a few more hp. The UMP tire adds a ton of traction over the IMCA tire.
    Any thought? About my post. On motor size?
    The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also are enemies; probably because they are generally the same people...
    G.K. Chesterton

An 18 degree 400ish engine will be plenty 95% of the time.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Default Engines

Had a 13* 390 cu in, that made way too much most of the time. Anytime the track would blow Black it had to be toned down. Most nights on 3/8ths tracks it was on two barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Cust Susp View Post
    Had a 13* 390 cu in, that made way too much most of the time. Anytime the track would blow Black it had to be toned down. Most nights on 3/8ths tracks it was on two barrels
    What is the horse power in the 390, and what would think would be a good range. One track is super slick not much clay at all. The other tacky through hot laps heats. Slickness Toward end of feature. Thanks for your response
    G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by hanginitout View Post
    What is the horse power in the 390, and what would think would be a good range. One track is super slick not much clay at all. The other tacky through hot laps heats. Slickness Toward end of feature. Thanks for your response
    Engine is a gb2000 Brodix head with a 4/7 swap cam, we tried to tune it down with not matching intake so it’s a little smaller and on the engine dyno it made 796hp and right about 670-680lbft don’t remember exact number. In my opinion 730 is about perfect and 650ftlb I had a 421 like this that was great just about everywhere

My Crystal ball says to look into the CT525

Brad
    www.race-1.com

We have 2, 23 degree engines one is about 630hp the other is about 710hp on engine Dyno. They will both get the job done if the car is right.

Quote Originally Posted by brad hibbard View Post
    My Crystal ball says to look into the CT525

Brad
    www.race-1.com
    If I raced UMP, that's where I would go for an engine.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

One can do better in power and reliability for dang close to the same money of $10k. UMP is very specific on the approved bolts ons.
    525hp isn't enough around here. Especially early in the nights and early in the spring.

If your needing a UMP motor let me know.
    I have a 7 race old 18º 396.

I am about to start listing stuff. Selling out
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    One can do better in power and reliability for dang close to the same money of $10k. UMP is very specific on the approved bolts ons.
    525hp isn't enough around here. Especially early in the nights and early in the spring.
    Don't know where you live but I've seen 525 run darn good against supers. Then there is the weight placement advantage. At most places, I can't see it even being fair.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

There have been a few guys try the 525 here in Central Illinois. They echoed Lizardracing's comments. Very good late or if/when it got slick but just didn't have it early in qualifying and heat races. They switched back so they weren't constantly fighting from a deeper starting spot in the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Don't know where you live but I've seen 525 run darn good against supers. Then there is the weight placement advantage. At most places, I can't see it even being fair.
    Central Mo.
    UMP to East,
    USMTS to the South and West,
    IMCA to the North.

I have good friends that use the CT525 in their Super DLM and do very well.
    It's just seems almost not enough in the Modified classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    Central Mo.
    UMP to East,
    USMTS to the South and West,
    IMCA to the North.

I have good friends that use the CT525 in their Super DLM and do very well.
    It's just seems almost not enough in the Modified classes.
    The idea that a mod needs more is baffling to me.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

In a lot of places you can use all you've got early on with 700+. Later on not as much.