Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rocket short bar brackets

I recently swapped my LR spring out for a 16" 125 barrel spring. I like the way the car feels now but I've noticed I need to be much smoother with the pedals because the car seems to react much faster now. The car came with the short bar brackets on both top and bottom of my Lr. I've been looking at a bunch of cars in the pits and pictures of cars for sale on the internet and it seems not many people run these brackets anymore. Atleast not both of them. I've been thinking of taking them off this year to see what it does. What are some pros and cons of running these vs. Not running them? This is on a blue front rocket. Thanks.

What kinda motor, what size tracks,

430 open steel block. 3/8 mile tracks

I would start with the long top bar, and short bottom bar with 13.75 drop

Kind of what I was thinking of trying. Didnt want to take both off and change too much. Thanks

Phenom08 can you explain your reasoning? I'm trying my best to learn and understand these cars. Thanks

We run the short top bar with crates or small tracks. Car will turn more when u pick the throttle back up. The long bottom bar can make it hard to climb the bars if there's no moisture to put the lr in

Thanks for the reply

what are the lengths of the long and short bottom bar?

I'm not positive on this, I'll have to check in my book but I believe 15 1/4 for the short bar. I'm not sure on the long bar. I don't believe my book says.

I think top bar is 18-18.25 if I recall

Length of bar has far less effect than angle. Shorting the left top 2” would have a smaller effect than just going up a hole. I remember looking into 16 vs 15” lower bar, and after plotting it out on my computer, it made something like a 1/16” difference in steer and maybe a degree of indexing difference. No driver in the country could feel that.

The starting angle at ride height may be an even bigger effect of short bar vs long bar.

OP should be talking:

LRU bars at either 18.25 or 16.75 with shortener bracket
    LRL bars at either 17.0 or 15.0 with shortener bracket

Assuming 25 degree static upper and 12 degree static lower bar angles and almost 5" of travel at cage (this brings the long upper bar close to 45 degree's at full hike), these are the following rollsteer, index and thrust angles at full hike (note this is only measured at the cage not at the wheel)

18.25 LRU and 15.0 LRL:

2.715" of steer
    38.87 degrees of thrust
    9.36 degrees of index on cage

16.75 LRU and 15.0 LRL:

2.781 of steer
    40.16 thrust
    10.174 index

18.25 LRU and 17.0 LRL

2.645 steer
    37.87 thrust
    10.259 index

That being said: While it doesn't look like much of a change I don't know a driver yet that hasn't been able to feel anyone of those changes.

#note: when bar length was changed, the static angle was not changed still the 25 or 12 degree static
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 02-01-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Billet, What program did you use to mock up the distances and calculate index?Sent you a PM
    Last edited by Dirtmod13; 02-05-2019 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added text

I use mastercam

Thanks for the reply Billet. Based on that info, which combination do you think I should start with?

Honestly without knowing for sure what bar lengths you was running before since you just said extensions on both. I believe most all older blue cars used a bolt in lower extension to get to the std 15" lower but some of the newer ones had one piece brackets that needed no extension.

I'd probably go with what phenom08 said, 18.25 LRU and 15.0 LRL bar and adjust from there. I'm not a fan of the long lower bar but in some instances it works but even less often with today's set-ups.

Double check your lengths to make sure what you had been using.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Honestly without knowing for sure what bar lengths you was running before since you just said extensions on both. I believe most all older blue cars used a bolt in lower extension to get to the std 15" lower but some of the newer ones had one piece brackets that needed no extension.

I'd probably go with what phenom08 said, 18.25 LRU and 15.0 LRL bar and adjust from there. I'm not a fan of the long lower bar but in some instances it works but even less often with today's set-ups.

Double check your lengths to make sure what you had been using.
    billet I have a car that has 17 top 17 bottom length rods what type of track or track conditions would that work or should I go to 15 or so bottom? or maybe run a lot of angle on bottom?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by spiderma4 View Post
    billet i have a car that has 17 top 17 bottom length rods what type of track or track conditions would that work or should i go to 15 or so bottom? Or maybe run a lot of angle on bottom?
    hijack alert!! loaded question alert!!