Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vortec Cylinder Heads

Putting a set on my Hobby Stock motor hyd cam hyper pistons stock crank rods 600 single line holle y or 750 holley depending on track both are on e85. need intake recommendations dual plane or single plane Intake will be racing against 602 jig car. I have a clip car I think I should have a real advantage hp wise i have seen similar motors dyno at 450 hp.

with that combo , i would probably go with a duel plane air gap intake with either carb .......

Thanks Fast Ford as per my usual way i am on a meaner than gravel poor as dirt budget Lol.

My thinking is this: Start and restart rpm's should be 2500-3000. The victor jr. intake makes the most low end torque of any single plane intake. I think I would run the victor vs any dual plane. I could be wrong.

While I'm asking I have a comp 280 Magnum cam it's free decent camshaft for this motor or save my money for something different .

I tried the 280 cam when I ran a stock body class, and it gave up at about the flag stand on a 3/8 mile track. I also ran the howard's 110091-06 cam. The howard's cam gave up a little off the corner, but it pulled strong to almost 7000 rpms. The howard's cam is 241 at .050 lift on the exhaust and the intake, and that seems like the sweet spot in duration for a limited engine that runs headers. I have no experience with alcohol fuels.

Thanks that basically what a buddy told me too that would not do what I need it to do as I run 3/8 and 1/2 mile tracks thanks I have had great luck with Howard's came when we had to run a lift rule cam.

Remember they are fast burn technology, and 32 degrees timing is about all you want to go

Quote Originally Posted by hogracer3d View Post
    Remember they are fast burn technology, and 32 degrees timing is about all you want to go
    Im pretty sure that's not correct. Fast Burn only comes in aluminum.

Vortecs are very popular in my area for steel block lms. With proper angle milling, they will make about 550hp using up to 38 deg. timing.

fast burn has nothing to do with aluminum or iron , its the design of the combustion chamber.......the ford N iron heads we run are extremely fast burn , any thing over 28 degrees total and you will start seeing little aluminum balls on the spark plugs....
    Last edited by fastford; 02-26-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    fast burn has nothing to do with aluminum or iron , its the design of the combustion chamber.......the ford N iron heads we run are extremely fast burn , any thing over 28 degrees total and you will start seeing little aluminum balls on the spark plugs....
    yeah I know......I was just stating that gm's were aluminum!

Those newer style vortecs made good power and had thicker decks!

10/4...................also , most of my gm customers with angle milled vortec,s and flat top pistons are topping out at 36 degrees........
    Last edited by fastford; 02-27-2019 at 07:30 AM.

Fast Ford what do you recommend for timing it has 4vr flat tops heads were cut but probably very little only to true them up block is not decked i am gonna use 0.26 head gaskets it's also on e85.I am hoping for 10 to 1 compression or a little better. I probab!y should have had blocked decked but the funds were not there. Thanks.

i would start at 36 and look at spark plugs , you could probably bump it up some , but from our experience , it want help much , if your block is strait and pistons are withen .005 to .010 from deck at TDC , there is no need to deck block...

In my previous racing life I used 25 gallons white aamco 24 gallons av fuel 1 gallon toulene quart atf for fuel pretty good stuff trust me e85 is much better .

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    yeah I know......I was just stating that gm's were aluminum!

Those newer style vortecs made good power and had thicker decks!
    GM vortec heads are NOT aluminum... And vortecs have a thinner lw casting than earlier model heads period. The newer model ones are actually thinner yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RW57 View Post
    Fast Ford what do you recommend for timing it has 4vr flat tops heads were cut but probably very little only to true them up block is not decked i am gonna use 0.26 head gaskets it's also on e85.I am hoping for 10 to 1 compression or a little better. I probab!y should have had blocked decked but the funds were not there. Thanks.
    28-32 timing for vortecs, I have never seen a vortec make more power above 33 degrees on a chassis dyno with motors from 9-1 compression to 15.5-1.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    GM vortec heads are NOT aluminum... And vortecs have a thinner lw casting than earlier model heads period. The newer model ones are actually thinner yet.
    Its pretty obvious you cant read and comprehend at the same time!

thats why i dont pay him any attention any more , just like post 17 , total bs.........

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Its pretty obvious you cant read and comprehend at the same time!
    Welcome to the forum...

I quoted your post with misinformation, apparently it is you can not read and comprehend at the same time and you are also a dumb as.