Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you agree with spotters/signallers in dirt racing?

Do you agree with spotters/signallers in dirt racing?

My opinion is no, this is not Nascar, it should be up to the driver to figure out the fastest way around the track.

It's been part of dirt racing for year. It didn't stop when they stopped allowing radios. It'll always be part of it.
    So I accept it just like the rest of it

While I’m not a fan of it, you’ll always have it. So just one of them things. Don’t try and police it, is what it is.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Yes I sure do. I have a set of them and a neon green vest I can wear. I also have a set of LED's that I can use every so often. We love those things.....

I don't know how much of a difference it really makes. Everyone plays with the same rules. I'm fine with it.

I don't like it. But, it is what it is.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I'm a driver... granted, not at the super level though. I honestly prefer to have no signaling. I think it should be more in the drivers hands than spotters. I've never used any signaling while racing.

I prefer no spotters either, but my advice is if you use them make sure you know the signals! We used light sticks (suppose to be for car lengths only), spotter decides to try and do more without telling me what his signals meant... I came in and asked if he was practicing to be in the new Star Wars movie as he looked like he was fighting with a light saber.... Quit using them after that. Put it in the drivers hands, let him figure out what is fast!

USMTS doesn't allow signalling, so guess what you get. . . . .

Some have LED lights on gauges that can change colors, can be done with a cell phone app. Crew turns lights red for bottom, green for middle, yellow for top . . . . brilliant

Your not gonna stop it completely and I've seen and done it myself where I helped and also cost a racer a win so it goes both ways. I've also seen racers look at other crews signals so they know what another driver might do.

I think it's kinda dumb, but because it's nearly impossible to police I don't think there needs to be rules against it. Like he said above me, with technology there are so many ways it can be done that you're never going to be able to kill it off. I have no doubt there are more than a few drivers running around with bluetooth headphones or the like anyhow.

billetbirdcage, that's really interesting. I've heard of some wild stuff using cell phone technology... but I hadn't heard of that before.

last night was not just hand signals, that was talking in his ear, to much of this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit View Post
    billetbirdcage, that's really interesting. I've heard of some wild stuff using cell phone technology... but I hadn't heard of that before.
    That stuff has been going on for as long as I can remember: I think it was back in 2000ish but I know of one guy that had a cell phone adjustable J-bar mount on the frame. Now remember this was years ago and there wasn't smart phones and cell phone reliability and service wasn't as good: It used a phone service to send a signal to the mount so to move it up you dialed one number and to move down you had to dial another number. The problem was it moved as long as the number was ringing, so you couldn't really tell how much you moved it as it could take a while for it to ring with the old cell networks. So you basically guessed on a couple rings and hopefully it was roughly the amount you wanted to move it. You could use a land line but wheres that when you need it, lol. It also scared the driver, saying hell on a restart you guys are gonna move it and I'm driving into the corner not knowing if you guys changed the car on me, LMAO but he does have a point.

In the end the tech just wasn't there to be done easily for a reasonable cost and while it wasn't against the rules because it only said (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pit adjustable components, it was for sure against the spirit of the rules and would been outlawed as soon and it became known.

Anyway there are tons of stuff similar that has been done over the years and it just gonna get worse and harder to detect.

Scrap the spotters and bring back mirrors....how dumb is it that the drivers can't see who's alongside or behind them.

Yes I know it's tuff to see above the spoiler but imagine taking away the mirrors on their haulers.

I have 4 1/2 million miles driving cross country... I can't imagine driving one mile without mirrors.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Scrap the spotters and bring back mirrors....how dumb is it that the drivers can't see who's alongside or behind them.

Yes I know it's tuff to see above the spoiler but imagine taking away the mirrors on their haulers.

I have 4 1/2 million miles driving cross country... I can't imagine driving one mile without mirrors.
    Haulers don't need mirrors either!!! hahahahahahaahahaha jk

It should be outlawed.

Some local tracks in thier rules don't allow it and have some stern penalties.

Going back thru history, how did racing start anyway?

Rayburn called up north to Howe and said come try this moonshine.

I think somebody said let there be racing.............and there was racing...........