Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: oil filters

Default oil filters

just trying to spark some conversation----
    what do you like for oil filters and why???

hopefully your reason is not because your grandad used it or you like the color
    many of us stay with a product because we "have not had any problems"
    I might be part of that group but I do have reasons for why we use what we use.

I am interested in what you the racer has been using and experiencing.

Brad
    www.race-1.com

we still use a 7.3 ford diesel filter , never had any issues that i know of .....

Baldwin b279 or K^N if I don't have Baldwin *heavy construction and many pleats* 18 micron rating and flows 15gpm@1psi with a 20pound bypass which isn't going to matter if you block the bypass anyway but if you don't its likely not going to bypass at high rpms. That's if you are screwing it to the block. There are better choices if you have remote systems.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

are you saying there is a bypass within the filter? let-r-eat

fastford---what adapter do you use to accept that filter?

brad

brad , i think it was a moroso , ill check and see , i have 2 i bought 15 years ago and havnt thought about them in a while.....

hey brad , i just went and looked and it is a moroso , cant make the part number out but it is the one with the 1 1/2 " x16 thread nipple , i also have a duel one but that is over kill . i also remember one of my customers getting a factory ford remote mount on e-bay for like 30 bucks or something , this is probably the way to go , hope this helps , also , my tool i cut the filter open with to inspect will work on these , but some are to small ..........

Wix and Baldwin are the only consistent high quality filters that I know of. Wix is all that I use personally, performance and D Driver.

I've always used Wix 51515 filters for my Ford and Mopar engines....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Yes. There is anti drain back and 20 pound bypass.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

I'm a wix standard filter guy, no R filters here. Donaldson and Baldwin always seem to be top notch as well.

Now you tell us what you have been experiencing Brad.

I've had great success with Napa Silverline filter 31068 for the Fords and 31069 for the Chevys I don't care for the Racing series filters as they let too much through in my opinion. After talking to Wix and they recommended that the racing series filter be changed after each race who can afford to do that?

System 1 filter. Washable can use forever.

Quote Originally Posted by racing08 View Post
    I've had great success with Napa Silverline filter 31068 for the Fords and 31069 for the Chevys I don't care for the Racing series filters as they let too much through in my opinion. After talking to Wix and they recommended that the racing series filter be changed after each race who can afford to do that?
    I think they are recommending you pad their sales when you change every week. Even on an alky engine properly tuned I go three to four weeks between changes.

The 28 micron filter allows lower restriction thru the filter media than a DD filter. I've used regular filters with good luck but I buy these for about $8.50 at my local NAPA store... cheap insurance.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

There will NEVER be a system 1 filter on anything I own or do. Think about this. The old mesh from being washed and flexed inside that filter over and over. It will eventually collapse and you will know when...............I've never seen a mesh nonreplaceable element in anything that lasts forever. I had a system 1 filter tear up stuff before. This is not something I haven't experienced first hand.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

I run the System 1 as well. I don't see how washing that stainless steel mesh is going to weaken it.

Wix filters here on my stuff... Hendren recommended them and who am I to question their judgement.

i like the wix filter to but i stick with motorcraft 7.3 diesel filter and a fellow named jack cornett turned me onto that several years ago.........

look at that ---a simple question and we have good conversation with some interesting facts
    I am gonna be honest and admit ---I didn't realize some filters have bypass valves in them
    good information for me
    I was just researching something else on the web and took a moment to check in on this thread
    I will give it a closer read when I have more time but I am glad to just see conversation

Race-1 uses all Wix for some specific reasons that I will outline later after I make sure they are correct --LOL
    I have quickly checked and the Wix racing filters that we use do not have bypass valves
    there is good and bad to bypass valves and that is something I will consider in future posts and recommendations.

Brad
    www.race-1.com

seen where diffent oils can be as much as 10 hp on a dyno,.has anybody ever tried dyno'in different oil filters??
    white trash motorsports

there use to be a guy on here called dynoman 14 and he had all kinds of space age products one of which was a special oil filter
    one of my customers bought one of his "special" filters and brought it to me
    it has a completely white can with no markings what so ever but when you look close it had 51061 stamped into the head of it where it screws to the block
    51061 is a wix number ---so my guess is ---it was a simple non racing wix filter
    I never did test it---it is actually a great conversation piece.

I also had a customer that ran NO filter
    he claimed that he saw a power increase on a rented chassis dyno---I never tried this

here is my thought on filters and power---
    some filters (due to restriction) will create extra oil temperature
    extra oil temperatures will cut power

Brad
    www.race-1.com