Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: oil filters

Quote Originally Posted by brad hibbard View Post
    there use to be a guy on here called dynoman 14 and he had all kinds of space age products one of which was a special oil filter
    one of my customers bought one of his "special" filters and brought it to me
    it has a completely white can with no markings what so ever but when you look close it had 51061 stamped into the head of it where it screws to the block
    51061 is a wix number ---so my guess is ---it was a simple non racing wix filter
    I never did test it---it is actually a great conversation piece.

I also had a customer that ran NO filter
    he claimed that he saw a power increase on a rented chassis dyno---I never tried this

here is my thought on filters and power---
    some filters (due to restriction) will create extra oil temperature
    extra oil temperatures will cut power

Brad
    www.race-1.com
    Interesting about the no-filter part!

I wonder what laboratory could test the "particulates" caught in the filter media for their composition.

Maybe, we don't need one!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post

Maybe, we don't need one!
    Any one that has been around tons of engines for a long time will have ran across this more then once.

On a stock SBC the oil passage from the rear main bearing that goes up to the stock oil pressure sensor/line has a press in plug that blocks the passage to divert oil to the oil filter pad. Many shops don't remove this when hot tanking or cleaning, but many will and if your not used to it when you get it back you have no idea it was removed and people don't put it back in. With it like this it will just bypass the entire oil filter and never filter any oil except some residual oil that may happen to flow thru it (it will fill filter with oil just not flow thru it to actually filter the oil).

That all said, I've seen this happen plenty of times when guys build their own engine and take it to have dyno'ed. Almost every one will eventually lock up on the dyno or kick a rod out of them from completely trashing the main bearings from debris in the oil that isn't filtered out during break in and early stages of the dyno'ing.

So can you run without a filter, guess it possible but I've seen many that won't make it thru simple break in and a few pulls before the bearings are trashed.

I have a 1/4" rod hanging on the wall that is marked at the distance of the top of the block to the plug to check if the plug is in the block, if the rod goes past the mark about 4" there is no plug or if just short or too long from mark the plug wasn't installed correctly. I would check every one when guys used to bring engines for me to dyno, when I was installing the engine on the dyno before I installed the oil pressure sensor.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 03-01-2019 at 04:33 PM.

lol, i remember dynoman, he was funny, till it got ugly! remember the thread bout them filters to! last i remember was a long long time still wating for filter to arrive! lol
    white trash motorsports

Excellent post Mr. billetbirdcage

a 100 years ago we used to knock that plug out of every block before tanking it --but we always reinstalled it for the customer
    I actually made a special installer to get it exactly where I wanted it
    But there were some blocks that I just wasn't comfortable with the way it went in and was worried about it moving and causing a restriction ---so we quit taking them out at all about 20 years ago --but we final wash that passage very carefully and look down in it for debris with a small flashlight

very easy item to miss---great tech tip for anyone doing their own assembly---Thank You

Brad
    www.race-1.com

Quote Originally Posted by brad hibbard View Post
    Excellent post Mr. billetbirdcage

a 100 years ago we used to knock that plug out of every block before tanking it --but we always reinstalled it for the customer
    I actually made a special installer to get it exactly where I wanted it
    But there were some blocks that I just wasn't comfortable with the way it went in and was worried about it moving and causing a restriction ---so we quit taking them out at all about 20 years ago --but we final wash that passage very carefully and look down in it for debris with a small flashlight

very easy item to miss---great tech tip for anyone doing their own assembly---Thank You

Brad
    www.race-1.com
    Its been awhile since I put one together, but it seems to me we used some kind of plate/adapter that covered that up.

Dyno Man was full of more (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) than a Christmas Turkey he was getting 500+ hp from a 604 with special plugs oil oil filters special air cleaners etc.He was always good for a laugh.

dont forget his special treated valve spring that let a crate motor turn 68, 7000 rpms and last all season!
    white trash motorsports

Lets just say he had some interesting ideas.......I do know for a fact that he had a good reputation in the engine machine shop equipment! A family member of mine had many dealings with him.....all good ones!

His engine shop is called Alien Race Engines. Its still listed as a Durrance Layne certified engine-rebuilder.

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    Any one that has been around tons of engines for a long time will have ran across this more then once.

On a stock SBC the oil passage from the rear main bearing that goes up to the stock oil pressure sensor/line has a press in plug that blocks the passage to divert oil to the oil filter pad. Many shops don't remove this when hot tanking or cleaning, but many will and if your not used to it when you get it back you have no idea it was removed and people don't put it back in. With it like this it will just bypass the entire oil filter and never filter any oil except some residual oil that may happen to flow thru it (it will fill filter with oil just not flow thru it to actually filter the oil).

That all said, I've seen this happen plenty of times when guys build their own engine and take it to have dyno'ed. Almost every one will eventually lock up on the dyno or kick a rod out of them from completely trashing the main bearings from debris in the oil that isn't filtered out during break in and early stages of the dyno'ing.

So can you run without a filter, guess it possible but I've seen many that won't make it thru simple break in and a few pulls before the bearings are trashed.

I have a 1/4" rod hanging on the wall that is marked at the distance of the top of the block to the plug to check if the plug is in the block, if the rod goes past the mark about 4" there is no plug or if just short or too long from mark the plug wasn't installed correctly. I would check every one when guys used to bring engines for me to dyno, when I was installing the engine on the dyno before I installed the oil pressure sensor.
    I agree no filter is going to end up in heart break. Maybe at a nascar level shop/assembly room you could get away with no filter but weekly/regional even national late model guys. Stuff just happens and gets in the oil. I would say if you are to try it you should run one for the first dyno session and first race or two then try it without, stuff is wearing in and all the stuff we missed cleaning is being filtered out.

Hey what is the measurement to make sure that plug is installed?

Quote Originally Posted by powerslide View Post

Hey what is the measurement to make sure that plug is installed?

I must have lost mine, as it been forever since I had to use it. But I measured a stock block without the plug in it and it's 9.75" and appears it should be around 8.5" or so if the plug is in it.

Speaking of filters... years ago I bought a nice, unrestored '55 F100 barnfind that had a 351C engine.

The truck ran great. I noticed the front engine mounts were a bit weak so I put it on my lift to fix it. First thing I did was pull the oil filter off the block.... it was dry! I must have driven it 2,000 miles since I bought it.

I fixed the motor mount, installed a new filter...still 60lbs of oil pressure, no lifter noise, nada.

I got brave and removed the filter and started the engine....no oil came out.

Never did figure that out!
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Krooser and some of the older guys on here may remember the old oil bath air and oil filters that some outfits like J. C, Whitney had a toilet paper replacement filter for in the '60s-70s. Tried one once on an old Dodge and what a mess.

OH Man---you are taking me back a long ways
    I talk about the old air filter oil bath on occasion but had completely forgotten about the toilet paper oil filter
    I do remember it now along with the canister filter from like 68 and back (I think)
    I remember the O-ring was difficult to get straight and it would leak like crazy

how about back in those days----every parking spot in parking lots were heavily oil stained
    compared to now --when you rarely see an oil stained parking spot

good ole days
    Brad
    www.race-1

one more filter related question... there is a 2 qt filter that used to be used on grain trucks... would it be worth
    using for the extra oil capacity? Obviously, they don't make a racing version, so not sure if it restricts flow too much.

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x

Guy I knew in high school had a '48 Buick his grandfather gave him that had never had an oil/filter change. Gramps told him oil never wore out so he just added some when it was low. Dave burned 2 to 3 quarts a day on the 4 mile ride to and from school and just stopped at any service station and got their drain oil for free. You could see the oil clouds 'bout all the way to his house when he started that straight 8. Today the EPA would call for the death penalty.

more filter related question... there is a 2 qt filter that used to be used on grain trucks... would it be worth quote.
    It's been my experience those filters are more susceptible to on track punctures when mounted to stock location.

In a remote mt. Biggest benefit would be double the filter area.

Just run more line if you want more oil capacity.
    Last edited by 95shaw; 03-30-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Racing View Post
    one more filter related question... there is a 2 qt filter that used to be used on grain trucks... would it be worth
    using for the extra oil capacity? Obviously, they don't make a racing version, so not sure if it restricts flow too much.

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x
    We used to use those with a Barnes 90 degree filter adapter. Worked pretty good

dynomans special treated valve springs maybe?? lololol
    https://www.facebook.com/KillerCrate...type=3&theater
    white trash motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    dynomans special treated valve springs maybe?? lololol
    https://www.facebook.com/KillerCrate...type=3&theater
    No, dynomans name is Mark.