Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Everybody does slow down. You look at guys like Moyer, O'Neal, Lanigan etc and they aren't at their peak anymore. They are still competitive, but they aren't the force they were. it would be hard to imagine that Bloomer's best days aren't behind him, but he'll still run well and win races for as long as he choses to race.

Time will tell if he's still at the top of the Late Model world. Whether it turns out that age and injuries have caught up with him or not doesn't really matter much to me. I'm just going to enjoy him while he's still around. He's the GOAT and the sport is better when he's around to entertain us.

His championship days are long gone. He’s only won one in the last 8 or 9 years, and he’s not going to win another one before he retires. He’s just hoping to be top five at this point. Top three would be considered a good year.

Default TerryM

Thank you I agree!
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

I think Bloomer could have one more in him but with every year that slips by, it will be that much tougher.
    I don't think he's slipped as much(except for the tardiness) as much as the competition has gotten much much more stronger.
    8/13/16

completely agree that his series championship days are likely over. but i'll be (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ed if I will ever be able to count the S.O.B. out when it comes to big money races.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

East Bay is not his type of track. He is not any good at being able to pitch and stomp. He has to be straight and smooth.
    Bloomquist is more of a "finesse" style driver. He's a master of working the throttle, being smooth and not over driving the car. That's what's made him the GOAT and why he's stood the test of time. Little bull rings like East Bay are more of an equalzer and loose nut behind the wheel type drivers can make themselves look like the hero of the day on these sorts of track, but other style tracks, the cream will rise to the top.

Bloomer does some funny ars stuff sometimes which makes him an easy target for trash talk …
    Or perhaps, Bloomquist receives a lot more scrutiny for every little thing. Things that would be no big deal if Johnny Nobody did it, become big news and fuel lots of gossip and speculation all throughout the racing community. Dose, Bloomer maybe play into this and use it to his own advantage? Sure! But why not? People are going to scrutinize, speculate, and talk anyway, simply because of who he is. So, why not exploit it to his advantage.

I don't think he's slipped as much(except for the tardiness) as much as the competition has gotten much much more stronger.
    I disagree! I don't think the actual competition is as tough today as it once was. Remember Bloomquist raced against the likes of Purvis, Freedy Smith, Buck Simmons, Larry Moore, Donnie Moran, Charlie Swartz, Billy Moyer, etc. If anything the actual competition, in terms of driving ability and skill is lower than it once was. Todays cars, with treated tires, traction control, and suspensions that steer themselves around the corners with their hiked up rear ends, makes younger lesser skilled drivers with big bank rolls behind them look better. Is the racing closer? Maybe, but that doesn't mean that there are more highly skilled drivers out there. in fact, it may mean the opposite, that ability and skill is less important.

Also some people perform their best when they are challenged the most. These individuals may not perform their best unless they are under pressure. There is some evidence to suggest this might be the case with Bloomer. Look no further than last year at the Show Me 100. Remember him having his time thrown out that friday and coming from the rear to win the b main on 3 wheels? Then coming through the field to finish 2nd, securing a front row starting spot for the big show, which he won? How about the Dream and coming back the next night after the fall, emergency room visit, to dominate? It may well be that he imply isn't challenged enough!

Everybody does slow down
    This is true, no doubt. However, racing is not exactly like some other more athletic sports. Racing is more mental and what little bit an older driver may lose in terms of physical condition may be more than offset by maturity and experience. If anything, I would say that in terms of sheer skill, he's as good as ever. If he has one shortcoming nowadays, it's probably that he takes too many other roles, besides just driving the racecar, upon himself.

I'm not a Bloomquist fan...Never have been, never will be...
    The one thing I absolutely love about him is...
    He is who he is and has never changed in that way...
    He lives his life the way he wants regardless of peoples thoughts and for that...
    I salute him !!!

Ask anyone in the pits who the best is and they will tell you.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

Some how I knew there would be a thread like this. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by let-r-eat View Post
    Ask anyone in the pits who the best is and they will tell you.
    I seen a Chuck Hummer T Shirt in the pits @ Screven.
    8/13/16

Only way to assess this is when they start racing for 30k plus events

Quote Originally Posted by dirt crow View Post
    He needs to diet. Eat a salad or something.
    Maybe some baked crow, possibly????

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan2k4 View Post
    Todays cars, with treated tires, traction control, and suspensions that steer themselves around the corners with their hiked up rear ends
    That's funny stuff right there. LMFAO

Put. The. Doobie. Down.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Put. The. Doobie. Down.
    Who TM?????? hahahahaaaa

Zero will still get him some. Lucas series looks tough as ever. JD strong. Erb strong just has to hope he no get beat up for dumb moves. Josh and oneil in rockets gonna b better for bowyer team than last few years. Lannigan was mostly invisible. Epj better than ever. Moran showing well a bit but prolly b up and down. Hudson oneil can b good at any time. Owens tMac off but always capable. You look at all that and ???? Who knows. Zero has differing motors and still mostly him and Cody doin most of it. Past his prime? Prolly a bit but all the competition is getting tougher. Still will shine at eldora and other tracks but b tough go more so than ever cause competition level this year. Vp USIA will b interesting to see

V olusia will b interesting to see

Anyone know if Stormy Scott is going to Volusia also?

Quote Originally Posted by lw82 View Post
    V olusia will b interesting to see
    I can't remember how well he has done at Volusia? I just know that Tampa's Eastbay has never really been his cup of tea, so to speak. I think Bubba Raceway Park last year was an exciting finish with Brandon Sheppard beating him on the last lap or two. But...for some reason, I cannot recall his history at Volusia County Speedway. Enlighten me...

Quote Originally Posted by 2thextreme View Post
    I can't remember how well he has done at Volusia? I just know that Tampa's Eastbay has never really been his cup of tea, so to speak. I think Bubba Raceway Park last year was an exciting finish with Brandon Sheppard beating him on the last lap or two. But...for some reason, I cannot recall his history at Volusia County Speedway. Enlighten me...
    Davenport won last year's BRP race.

Bloomers has 12 wins at Volusia. 8 at East Bay