Default Young guns...Who's your pick for the next Bloomquist or Moyer?

Wow! We have loads of talent in DLM racing. Pierce, Moran, Erb, Weiss, English, Overton, Dillard, Buckingham, O'Neal (not necessarily in that order, I might add!) all make for an interesting racing season. I'm sure there are some I have left out unintentionally.

All talented, there’s others too, the future looks brighter than it has for awhile. But there will not be anyone approach the domination and number of wins that Bloomquist and Moyer have put up. Enjoy what time is left, we are lucky to be witnessing the two greatest as they move toward the twilight of their careers.
    I hate time trials.

I wholeheartedly agree, kazual. Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thextreme View Post
    Wow! We have loads of talent in DLM racing. Pierce, Moran, Erb, Weiss, English, Overton, Dillard, Buckingham, O'Neal (not necessarily in that order, I might add!) all make for an interesting racing season. I'm sure there are some I have left out unintentionally.
    While all these young drivers are impressive and will win MANY races over the coming years, Bobby Pierce is the only one to me who has the chance to ascend to that level of top 3 ever. Just given his age, how many huge races he's already won, and the way he's able to run lanes most can't....
    Last edited by GregA12; 02-10-2019 at 11:28 PM.

That's a pretty big step to reach that level. The sport might not even be around then. Some of us might not even be around then.

Not talking young guns because he's a little older. Even though he doesn't have some of the big wins Moyer and Bloomquist have. He does have 5 national touring championships already. And add 1 or 2 more and maybe a Eldora win and another like a Knoxville and North/South win in the next 2-3 yrs and he could really be up there in the conversation and that's Josh Richards.

At only 35, Davenport has a pretty impressive resume. I don't think though that anyone will get in the 500+ feature win list anymore, never the 1000+ feature wins of Buck Simmons

Unless these guys start building their own chassis Bloomers spot in DLM history will not be matched.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I don't think any one will ever meet those stats again.The times have just changed to much.I remember when Bloomer and Jeff Perverse came rollinginto the track with open trailer and a pickup.Sadly enough I don't think dirt track racing will ever seethe days like we have had in the last 40 years.The cost and time away from family has a lot to do with some getting out of the sport now too.I hope I am wrong cause I love the sport.I go every weekend unless something happens.I almost always travel alone and probably travel from 300 to 500 miles aweek.I HOPE I'M WRONG, and it gets even bigger in the future.

If you're talking about Shanon Buckingham, he would appreciate you calling him young. He's 45.

B-Shepp comes to mind😁...unless 26 it too old.

Believe Pierce has the most total career wins of the "young" guns and B-Shepp has the most national tour wins of the "young" guns. Think those two are closest we have to a Bloomer/Moyer rivalry from a competitive/intensity standpoint. I certainly believe those two are the class of the young drivers.0

Think you could see a competitive rivalry develop between Moran/Erb/O'Neal on Lucas.

Would love to see Richards/JD have some fierce battles. Both in their 30's and have won a ton.

I'd go with Pierce and Sheppard, but they have a long way to go to breathe that rarified air.

Bobby has over 100 wins now at 22 or so and since it doesn’t seem like he wants to run a national tour he probably has the best chance

Quote Originally Posted by Snake X3 View Post
    I'd go with Pierce and Sheppard, but they have a long way to go to breathe that rarified air.
    No arguments here...but the landscape today is also vastly different than 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Unless these guys start building their own chassis Bloomers spot in DLM history will not be matched.
    I agree. To be with Bloomquist and Moyer you need more than just driving skills

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Excellent point. What about the ability to mentor/teach a younger driver?

I'll give Bloomer a 1/2 pass on this one b/c his daughter is young and may not be interested in the life of driving racecars, but he's had plenty of opportunities to impact younger drivers, if he wanted to.

At this point appears to me that Bob Sr. and Steve passed along more wheel knowledge to Bobby and Brandon than Moyer did to his son and then Scottie has shared with anyone.

The larger point I'm trying to make is this... I would not be shocked if 20-25 years from now we see a 3rd generation Pierce and Sheppard behind the wheel with Bobby and Brandon playing major roles in their development. It's not chassis building, but it would be impressive.