Default Block lightening.

Hey guys? I have a pbm/world block and was wondering if you guys know anywhere that has a lightening program for pbm? I have found several places that have a program for dart but no luck for pbm. Thanks

Have you tried mullins ?

I have not contacted him direct just looked on his site and it only says dart.

Quote Originally Posted by Racerguy27 View Post
    I have not contacted him direct just looked on his site and it only says dart.
    1. First thing you may want to check is it might be cheaper to sell your block and purchase a new one that is lighter and save the risk of having it junked during the lightening machining process.

2. Be sure to research the company if you find someone that says they can do it <--very important here as you likely to sign a wavier that is something happens it's on you or that they will repair it any way they see fit.

3. They all vary, but last one done that I was involved in took off 22 or 24# but that was years ago and a bowtie block. Again look at what your going to gain weight wise vs cost vs weight of other block

Here is a list of people that do it (know idea if they do a PBM block but my guess is likely no on it)

ALSO NOTE THIS ARE NOT A RECOMENDATION FROM ME - DO RESEARCH

www.lsmeng.com
    http://wellsracing.com <--- DID OURS
    http://www.westonmachine.com/
    www.mullinsraceengines.com
    www.bakerengineeringinc.com

Good luck

Thanks. I know the pbm block is one of the heavier ones and my car is already on the heavy side. If I don't do the lightning do you recommend the dart shp block? Thanks

I would go to an SHP block, I have one in my steel block limited car. It has held up well and is pretty light for an iron block. I have never used PBM blocks, but dart has a great reputation.

The dart is around 11-12 pounds heavier than a standard 4 bolt main block

I have had a World block lightened by LSM in Michigan. They did a very good job. They are busy though, figure on six weeks. I went with the SHP Pro block on my last motor which is much lighter than the World block to start and lightened that as well.

Thanks to everyones response!

racerguy , im just curious , what head are you running and what compression ratio will it be ? reason i ask , if your not trying to make a bunch of power , we have had good success with a plain old 2 bolt main stock block , which can also be lighten a good bit , i do believe in an aluminum stub girdle , and with some deburing and good main studs , they will hold up to 10:1 with out any problems , just a thought...........

I think any one running 10-1 compression is probably on the wrong forum

i witnessed a 9:1 out run opens in perfect conditions , but your probably right........

Im not saying it couldn't happen but any class that would limit compression to 10-1 or less would likely be against any kind of lightening because with compression that low they are more than likely pushing "stock" heads and other "low budget" rules. I've seen a flat tappet 180cc steel head street stock engine run and hide from a 760hp cornett but we didn't plan it that way lol