Thread: Rr spring

Default Rr spring

Has anyone played with rr spring height say 12 14 or 16. What were the affects

Quote Originally Posted by hunterracing View Post
    Has anyone played with rr spring height say 12 14 or 16. What were the affects
    If it's the same rate, it does nothing.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

So shorter doesn’t affect spring table like as far as roll

Move the mount, that is noticeable. The attachment points of the spring assembly, to the chassis, is what matters.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

What bout birdcage end

Don't take this the wrong way but i don't think the spring table is something that anybody really needs to be messing with. especially not on any established chassis brand. Don't get me wrong it has effects but i think 99.9%of people's time is better spent elsewhere

So you wouldn’t play with spring heights on rr

It's like masters said their is no difference in just changing spring lengths besides weight and coil spacing. The spring table refers to the location of the upper shock mounts not the top of the spring

Spring length is pretty much irrelevant(less dynamic rate variances when using rubbers based on coil spacing), mounting location of coilover ends is a whole different deal and has effects.

What if you dnt run rubbers

Height of the spring when on a coil over has no effect on the car. However there could be changes but that is solely on the spring itself and that it could be slightly different on rates due to a number of factors, but it a change in rate that might do that not the length of the spring

1. A spring has what I call spring creep, meaning typically when a spring gets close to coil bind they usually tend to get stiffer in rate. So a 200# spring may be 200 per inch until it gets close to coil bind, like an inch or 2 from there and goes up in rate 10 or more percent. So if you have a really short spring and you were traveling it close to bind that spring really isn't a 200# spring but a 210 or more. Where a tall spring will never get close to bind and not hit the spring creep.

2. A long spring may bow and act softer or stiffer during it's travel then a shorter/bigger diameter one and effect that rate, again it's the rate of the spring thru the travel. But the height could be effecting these small changes.

Basically you can say that height doesn't matter for the most part, but if you really want to get technical then there are some things like I listed that can effect the car but it's the rate change and that rate change is a by product of a spring that is physically a different size thus may not be exactly the same as one in a different length/size.

But shouldn’t be real difference from 12 to 14 or bowing right?

I agree Billet, and that is where a coilover rater shows us the variables we otherwise don’t know or realize...with different type springs or a different, “identical” spring, the rate is not always exactly the same ...or linear.Technology allows us to see what we have, not what we are told we have. So I’d say yes even without rubbers.Ultra accurate Technology allows us to identify variables we may not have considered/known in the past. And can account for paradoxical effects to handling with a spring change. I’d say not “likely” on the RR 12 to 14, but a smasher will tell you for sure.

So let’s say we go stiffer spring and We slide spring in at top isn’t that conteracting what your doin

Did you just change ride rate, or roll rate, or neither? maybe both?

There is the paradox. Calculator can help you understand. If you understand all you are calculating.
    Last edited by 95shaw; 02-14-2019 at 07:19 PM.