Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan blade

Default Fan blade

What’s everyone running on a 604 crate 17 or 19 inch fan?

17 inch 3 blade jones swith to a 18 when it gets hot out 90 or above

I switched to 17" with jones pulleys, brand new engine, Cant get under 210* I run a double pass rad(3 years old) Nothing else has changed. Rad seems to flow ok but im told i should swap that out or go back to 4 blade steel fan

17in 3 blade Jones hustler

Not on a 604 but we tried the Jones 17" 3 blade on a low h.p. sportsman engine in the shop and couldn't keep the thing cool at a high idle speed. Every other fan we tried, some stock & some high tech, did better. Our opinion, the Jones is a pretty and nicely made piece but ineffective.

This isn't to bash on Jones as they have great products and did stand behind the new one that broke. However there is some questions to how durable these are:

1. This is the first generation of the 3 blade fans with the rivet on blades, they know there was a problem and redesigned them as one piece and thicker. If you have one of these you need to inspect it around the blades at the rivets and if you see a crack replace it immediately. This one came off a crate and cut the 2 lines on the rack to the servo into.

2. Below is the newer one piece design

Below is it after 1 race and came apart during the 2nd race hot laps. ###Note this was an open engine###

Last edited by billetbirdcage; 05-13-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Curious, a number of engine builder seem to recommend these yet it seems like most can't get away with running them. I know alot of builders also claim if it's running hot your probably too tight. Care to chime in brad. Also how much power is this or Similar fans worth over a traditional gm or 4 blade race fan. Thanks

There's a video on YouTube from, I think, Engine Masters where they spent a day changing fans on a dyno mounted built SBC and it was surprising how much horsepower was lost by some of the fans. The famed GM 4 blade was the worst. It sucked almost 35 h.p. Looks like cooling and horses are a compromise. I don't know about you but what 35 h.p. costs is hard to give up to a C note fan.

Quote Originally Posted by over4T View Post
    There's a video on YouTube from, I think, Engine Masters where they spent a day changing fans on a dyno mounted built SBC and it was surprising how much horsepower was lost by some of the fans. The famed GM 4 blade was the worst. It sucked almost 35 h.p. Looks like cooling and horses are a compromise. I don't know about you but what 35 h.p. costs is hard to give up to a C note fan.
    thanks for the input and i have also seen that video but it doesn't really matter what they found their because for us it's a necessary evil. The information im looking for is the comparative of the gm or race fan which everybody kabir works compared to these other fans on our specific combo

HP draw depends on what RPM the fan is going: Typically your going to see about 22 HP loss with a 4 blade over no fan on a crate. You will/can lose over 40 with a rigid 6 blade.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 05-14-2019 at 12:40 PM.

about all i have saw those three blade fans on down this way was crate cars that could run E85 , especially in the hot summer.......

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    about all i have saw those three blade fans on down this way was crate cars that could run E85 , especially in the hot summer.......
    I dont have a 604, but a 602 in a 2900lb street stock. I have done a bunch of testing on the chassis dyno with fans and shrouds. The combination I run now is the 17" "Race Fan" with the changable plastic blades. This is with a 26" SINGLE pass radiator and the new dirt defender fan shroud. This is a great combination and the tuneable blades are great.

Going from 4 blades to 2 blades is worth 4hp, and going to 2 blades with 3/8" of blade removed (reduced pitch) is worth another 4 hp. This set-up only takes 6 hp to run and is what I run when the temps are 70* or below, increase pitch or number of blades as temps get into the 80's / 90's.

This has been running 190-200 consistently.

Stewart stage 3 water pump, 1:1 pulleys, belts that dont slip, and a CLEAN single pass radiator with no stat or restrictor, on race gas and 36* timing.

wow, i would think with a single flow radiator , 1:1 pulley,s and no restrictor , the water would circulate to fast to cool , are you on regular racing fuel or alky ?

wow, i would think with a single flow radiator , 1:1 pulley,s and no restrictor , the water would circulate to fast to cool , are you on regular racing fuel or alky ?
    We ran the same setup, except we ran the gm 4 blade fan, on a nlmss engine, and had a hard time getting it to run 180 in cooler temps. It never ran over 200 in the summer months.

Howard Stewart, on his website, basically says to run the same type package. His tech section disproves many old wives tales.....esp the one you mentioned.

a single pass radiator with a 1:1 pulley and nothing in the thermostat housing has always ran hot in the summer on race gas for me , so i use a thermostat in cold weather and a washer with a 5/8 hole in summer with about a 30% reduction on pulleys and maintained a constant temp , also a good fan shroud is important , maybe these ole fords require more attention than them cheby,s.........lol....

a single pass radiator with a 1:1 pulley and nothing in the thermostat housing has always ran hot in the summer on race gas for me , so i use a thermostat in cold weather and a washer with a 5/8 hole in summer with about a 30% reduction on pulleys and maintained a constant temp , also a good fan shroud is important , maybe these ole fords require more attention than them cheby,s.........lol....
    We didn't even run a shroud!

See, Cheby's save money and weight! You ready to switch?

i,d rather have a sister working in a hoe house than run a cheby ...good thang i aint got no sister....lol...

Racing Fords is like competing in the special olympics....you might win, but you're still a retard.

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x

dam man , has anonymousnate made his way to the tech section ? BTW , there are some very smart people with handy caps .......

I apologize for that...was meant to be a joke...have absolutely nothing against people with handicaps.

Curt Drake
    Late Model #55x