Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NASCAR Lookin' To Regain Fan Base

Ran across this article on Forbes website. Looks like NASCAR is going to make some fairly significant alterations to their business model. Even left the door open to run a Cup race or two on dirt. Really hope that happens and it takes place at one of the remaining 1 mile dirt tracks. My hopes are selfish since three of them that are left are within 3 hours of our house and they all three can produce great racing. ARCA, for many years has been putting on some of the best racing of their season at Springfield & Du Quoin, Illinois.

The most needed changes, however, were not asked about or mentioned. That being the silly stage racing and chase. Gonna' be hard to get the real race fans back (if that's even possible) without doing away with all of the gimmick's. Gotta' make the championship formula much easier to understand for the casual fan. I hope they come up with a winning combination 'cause something has to give or NASCAR as we know it will be dead when the present TV deal goes away.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#5d0e955c2f0e

Column: Daytona 500 was action-packed opener NASCAR needed

By JENNA FRYER - Feb. 18, 2019 11:47 AM EST

Erik Jones (20), William Byron (24), Brad Keselowski (2), and Brendan Gaughan (62) crash during a NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race Sunday, Feb. 17, 2019, at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla. (AP Photo/David Graham)

Gary Mccullough

Jim Topper

Jim Topper

Gary Mccullough

Terry Renna

View All (6)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Jim France told 'em to race and NASCAR's next generation didn't disappoint.

The Daytona 500 packed an unforeseen punch that, if nothing else, entertained Sunday's sun-drenched, sold-out crowd at the famed "World Center of Racing." There were a ton of wrecks, especially during the final 20 laps of regulation, which Kyle Busch described as the portion of the race in which "brains come unglued."

The crashes led to nearly 40 minutes of stoppage for cleanup — breaks so long race-winner Denny Hamlin claimed he twice fell asleep in his Toyota. Hamlin led a clean sweep for Joe Gibbs Racing, which went 1-2-3 in an overtime finish that honored team co-founder J.D. Gibbs following his death last month from a long battle with a degenerative neurological disease.

It was an emotional weekend at Daytona International Speedway for Joe Gibbs, who leaned on his eldest son to run their NASCAR operation while he coached the Washington Redskins. J.D. Gibbs was a driver, a tire changer, team executive, talent scout and the guy who discovered a struggling Virginia short track racer who is now a two-time Daytona 500 winner.

Gibbs has three Super Bowl victories and three wins in NASCAR's version of the Super Bowl, and he ranked Hamlin's win "the most emotional and biggest win I've ever had in my life, in anything."

These are the moments when NASCAR shines bright, with a feel-good victory that honored a man who loved racing. The shared moment for Gibbs, his family and his race team dwarfed the rest of the 500.

There had been concern the main event might disappoint after three ho-hum exhibition races, but NASCAR got the event it needed to start its rebuilding season. France, the NASCAR chairman since August, used the prerace driver meeting to urge the full 40-car field to get up on the wheel and race. Drivers had spent the week in single-file lines, and only Hamlin and Chase Elliott had frequented the second, bottom lane, leading into the 500.

"I hope a few of you drivers out there will get down on the bottom with Denny and Chase and put on a good show today," France said.

Who knows if France's request — it actually sounded as if he was asking for a favor — was the kick in the seat the drivers needed? They raced hard from the very start, tore up a couple million dollars' worth of cars, and put on a rather memorable show. The overnight rating on Fox was up 8 percent from last year's record low — up against the Winter Olympics — and early numbers indicated the Daytona 500 was trending toward the top-rated sports event of weekend.

Some takeaways:

— Matt DiBenedetto led a race-high 49 laps in his debut for mid-pack Leavine Family Racing. The team now has crew chief Mike Wheeler, who won Hamlin's first Daytona 500 four years ago, and a Toyota partnership that gave DiBenedetto a chance to win "The Great American Race."

— Paul Menard was ensnared in both the big wrecks at Speedweeks. Jimmie Johnson crashed him to deny Menard a win a week earlier in an exhibition race, then Menard triggered a 21-car accident on Sunday. It ended DiBenedetto's day and gave the race the indelible demolition derby moment that will surely be used in marketing campaigns to come.

— Hendrick Motorsports had the front row at the start of the race but it was Johnson, in a battered Chevrolet, who led the camp with a ninth-place finish. Only 14 cars finished on the lead lap, which helped Johnson and others salvage otherwise difficult races. Same for Kyle Larson, who was involved in three different incidents and still finished seventh. "What a gnarly night," said Johnson.

— Ford was heavily favored to win the race in its debut of the Mustang and Logano was fantastic in trying to chase down Hamlin in overtime. Logano wound up fourth — annoyed fellow Ford driver Michael McDowell did not push him at the end — in the lone bright spot for the manufacturer. It was a rough race for Stewart-Haas Racing, which had three drivers in contention for the victory until the late wrecks, and wound up with four crashed race cars.

— Small teams had big days , led by McDowell in fifth for Front Row Motorsports. Eight of the 40 drivers were making their Daytona 500 debut and Ryan Preece, a short-track star from New England, impressed with an eighth-place finish for JTG Daugherty Racing. Watermelon farmer Ross Chastain, in one of the slowest cars in the field, finished 10th.

The race, which clocked in at 3 hours, 45 minutes not including the stoppage time, was not the cleanest or the prettiest but it certainly was not dull.

"Anybody who thought they were going to line up and ride around the top for the Daytona 500 for 490 miles doesn't know the competitive nature of these guys," said crew chief Chris Gabehart, a winner in his debut with Hamlin. "The Daytona 500 with everybody out there trying to get after it, it's not going to be boring."

___
    This is their problem. The media, like this article, thinks wrecking is racing! smh

Nascar obviously knows they are in trouble, when their President has to ask the drivers to put on a good show for the fans! smh

ZERO, I just don't see a whole lot changing in regards to Cup crowds and TV ratings until they undo some of the gimmicks such as the stage nonsense and the chase. I would even say going back to ending these races under yellow like they did for 50+ years might save millions in racing equipment and help keep some of the less funded teams from losing copious amounts of equipment. Dam sure would have at Daytona!

The championship formula has to be simplified, as well. I must admit I don't follow the whole deal nearly as much as we once did but I do keep track of Larson, Bell and Briscoe and I can't make head nor tail of what's going on in regards to the points system.

I haven't been to a NASCAR Cup race for over 10 years but I'd be first in line to buy tickets for a Cup race on the dirt regardless of where it would be run. But it really needs to be on one of the Illinois Mile tracks!! LOL!

LOL ! On how it was said a few times that the race was sold out. What they didn't say is that many of the bleachers had been removed in recent years so that it takes less people to fill what is left in the seating department.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    ZERO, I just don't see a whole lot changing in regards to Cup crowds and TV ratings until they undo some of the gimmicks such as the stage nonsense and the chase. I would even say going back to ending these races under yellow like they did for 50+ years might save millions in racing equipment and help keep some of the less funded teams from losing copious amounts of equipment. Dam sure would have at Daytona!

The championship formula has to be simplified, as well. I must admit I don't follow the whole deal nearly as much as we once did but I do keep track of Larson, Bell and Briscoe and I can't make head nor tail of what's going on in regards to the points system.

I haven't been to a NASCAR Cup race for over 10 years but I'd be first in line to buy tickets for a Cup race on the dirt regardless of where it would be run. But it really needs to be on one of the Illinois Mile tracks!! LOL!
    I agree!

I was a diehard fan for my whole life (I was in attendance in my mamas womb...lol)! Went about 25 years straight to the 125's! Then , when Brian took over, Nascrap decided to cater to the new fans and kicked us old fans to the curb. Now, theyre trying to get us back....too late!

Im a purist.....get rid of the gimmicks and get back to points racing.....that's how every Saturday nite track works!

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    LOL ! On how it was said a few times that the race was sold out. What they didn't say is that many of the bleachers had been removed in recent years so that it takes less people to fill what is left in the seating department.
    A buddy of mine went to the truck race without a ticket.....and ended up buying tickets for all 3 races (at the ticket window, not off the street)!

Who knows if they actually sold out or if they did, it had to be last minute!

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    A buddy of mine went to the truck race without a ticket.....and ended up buying tickets for all 3 races (at the ticket window, not off the street)!

Who knows if they actually sold out or if they did, it had to be last minute!
    ZERO, I don't know what to believe anymore but I went to the DIS website the morning of the 500 and just for curiosity's sake I clicked on the link to ticket purchase's and it said sold out. Like I said, don't know if it's true or not.

We went to the 500 about 20 or 21 consecutive years and continued to go to the twin qualifiers for another 4 or 5 years after we quit going to the 500. Ticket prices got so high that I couldn't have that much fun.

I also got extremely sick of constantly standing during the green flag segments. When the yellow would be thrown all the numbskull's would sit down 'till they were coming to the green and then like clockwork they'd all stand up, again. Dammedest thing I ever seen. I've been going to the Indy 500 since I was in college and NEVER has that happened there. It didn't start until the late 1990's and it goes on to this day.
    Last edited by CIRF; 02-19-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Hopefully with the death of the restrictor plate at Daytona and Talladega the racing will get better.

I would like to see one weekend they have the cup drivers yeah that's right I called them cup drivers lol, race a truck on Friday night a Xfiniity car on Saturday night and the cup car on Sunday afternoon at the same track.

It's been reported they sold out not sure if that is true but, It did look like they had a good crowd

Heard Loganos dad was quite upset at McDowell.

Quote Originally Posted by Raceready View Post
    That has nothing to do with the races being sold out. Yes they removed bleachers but, they still had what over 80,000 to 100,000 people that is still a lot people to watch an event.

Quote Originally Posted by kidrock View Post
    That has nothing to do with the races being sold out. Yes they removed bleachers but, they still had what over 80,000 to 100,000 people that is still a lot people to watch an event.
    Joy mentioned there being over 100,000 people in the stands and there might have been. However, the crowds for the qualifiers on Thursday night and the truck and Xfinity races were horrible. I can remember, and I'm sure ZERO can too, when the place was 90% full for the qualifiers, and that includes when they had the backstretch grandstands.

Daytona and other tracks have painted all of the seats various colors to make it LOOK like someone is sitting in them even if they are not. Oops, that don't work too well on my Sony 4K TV. lol

Joy mentioned there being over 100,000 people in the stands and there might have been. However, the crowds for the qualifiers on Thursday night and the truck and Xfinity races were horrible. I can remember, and I'm sure ZERO can too, when the place was 90% full for the qualifiers, and that includes when they had the backstretch grandstands.
    I'm not disputing Nascar is not what it used to be but, still to have 100,000 people attend any event is nothing to sneeze about.

the "NASCAR" fans standing up is something that annoys me as well, The announcers are as much to blame with their
    "get on your feet" announcements

It is comical when the Outlaws race Vegas during Cup week and the announcer explains over the PA that you must sit down during the races, the Cup crowd looks mystified by that

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    I agree!

I was a diehard fan for my whole life (I was in attendance in my mamas womb...lol)! Went about 25 years straight to the 125's! Then , when Brian took over, Nascrap decided to cater to the new fans and kicked us old fans to the curb. Now, theyre trying to get us back....too late!

Im a purist.....get rid of the gimmicks and get back to points racing.....that's how every Saturday nite track works!
    It was about fifteen years ago Kyle Petty said that the good ole boys days was over , time
    for a new generation of fans . Flat down grading the very people that made Nascar what it is .
    He said that the new generation and ideals are the future . Well there ya go Kyle , get ya some
    and remember , the good ole boys don forget .

I'm not disputing Nascar is not what it used to be but, still to have 100,000 people attend any event is nothing to sneeze about.
    Kid, the Indy 500 draws around 3 times the crowd that the Daytona 500 and IMS has removed not even 1 seat. It's starting to look as if NASCAR is becoming similar to Indy Car in that 1 event a year is relevant with the rest of the venues being sorely empty. Although the Indy Car events at St. Pete and Long Beach actually draw very well but I'm not sure that's due to the racing. It's more of a social event at both tracks.

I would agree, 100,000 people is a lotta' people but the University of Michigan home football games draw more than that 6 times per season at Michigan Stadium.

IIRC, ISC has eliminated somewhere around 68,000 seats at Daytona over the past decade. I think all Raceready was saying is that Daytona would look embarrassingly empty if not for the elimination of all those seats.

Quote Originally Posted by rrrrick View Post
    the "NASCAR" fans standing up is something that annoys me as well, The announcers are as much to blame with their
    "get on your feet" announcements

It is comical when the Outlaws race Vegas during Cup week and the announcer explains over the PA that you must sit down during the races, the Cup crowd looks mystified by that
    Rick, the way NASCAR crowds insist on constantly standing is a phenomenon that has always been perplexing. It's impossible to see the action 1 iota better when standing even if you're 7' tall, and when you're 5'2" like my wife it totally ruins the whole experience. I honestly believe there is an element of inbred's that attend NASCAR races that take satisfaction in seeing how annoying they can be to those around them.

The NASCAR style standing up BS is making it's way to the dirt tracks. The announcers at some tracks incite the crowd to stand during the parade/pace laps and fail to implore them to sit the **** down for the green flag and after. The biggest dirt event we attend every year is The Chili Bowl and I am happy to say there is no standing up there. That stuff is pretty well policed by the crowd itself. It could get your ass kicked! LOL!

Kid, the Indy 500 draws around 3 times the crowd that the Daytona 500 and IMS has removed not even 1 seat. It's starting to look as if NASCAR is becoming similar to Indy Car in that 1 event a year is relevant with the rest of the venues being sorely empty. Although the Indy Car events at St. Pete and Long Beach actually draw very well but I'm not sure that's due to the racing. It's more of a social event at both tracks.

I would agree, 100,000 people is a lotta' people but the University of Michigan home football games draw more than that 6 times per season at Michigan Stadium.

IIRC, ISC has eliminated somewhere around 68,000 seats at Daytona over the past decade. I think all Raceready was saying is that Daytona would look embarrassingly empty if not for the elimination of all those seats.

Again like I said I'm not disputing Nascar is not what it used to be. Ok Michigan Football is more popular than Nascar lol But, like I also said 100,000 people is still a lot of people attending the Race. I don't think Nascar will ever rebound with current leadership in place or at all for that matter but, doesn't mean I won't still watch from time to time.

Give everyone 20 tires for the weekend

Again like I said I'm not disputing Nascar is not what it used to be. Ok Michigan Football is more popular than Nascar lol But, like I also said 100,000 people is still a lot of people attending the Race. I don't think Nascar will ever rebound with current leadership in place or at all for that matter but, doesn't mean I won't still watch from time to time.
    Michigan football really is far more popular than NASCAR. I'm not sure what that says but it's true, nonetheless.

What is truly amazing about Daytona is that to get into the really good seats for the 500 you are extorted into buying tickets for the qualifiers, trucks and Xfinity races. A close friend bought the package 3 years ago and she told me the face price for the Daytona 500 ticket was in excess of $300.00. That price immediately eliminates a fair amount of market share. If you want to buy a ticket just for the 500 the only ones available are not the best seats. The first few qualifying races we went to were general admission only and the place was literally 10 times more full than what it was for the qualifiers this year.

My personal opinion is that when the new wears off of the new grandstands with the escalators and the cup holders the crowds for even the 500 will wane. It's all relatively new right now and I've talked to any number of people who will go, or want to go, to the 500 merely to see the new grandstands, etc.

Kid, I know you still enjoy NASCAR and I commend you for that. Wish there were a lot more like you. I follow to the extent that I keep track of how guys like Larson, Bell and Briscoe are doing thus I'll watch at least part of the races they are competing in but other than that I find it to be a confusing bore.

Michigan football really is far more popular than NASCAR. I'm not sure what that says but it's true, nonetheless.

What is truly amazing about Daytona is that to get into the really good seats for the 500 you are extorted into buying tickets for the qualifiers, trucks and Xfinity races. A close friend bought the package 3 years ago and she told me the face price for the Daytona 500 ticket was in excess of $300.00. That price immediately eliminates a fair amount of market share. If you want to buy a ticket just for the 500 the only ones available are not the best seats. The first few qualifying races we went to were general admission only and the place was literally 10 times more full than what it was for the qualifiers this year.

My personal opinion is that when the new wears off of the new grandstands with the escalators and the cup holders the crowds for even the 500 will wane. It's all relatively new right now and I've talked to any number of people who will go, or want to go, to the 500 merely to see the new grandstands, etc.

Kid, I know you still enjoy NASCAR and I commend you for that. Wish there were a lot more like you. I follow to the extent that I keep track of how guys like Larson, Bell and Briscoe are doing thus I'll watch at least part of the races they are competing in but other than that I find it to be a confusing bore.
    CIRF one thing is for sure I don't watch it like I did back in the day but, I still do watch it. I watch it for more than the race itself. I enjoy watching the race unfold and how the driver and crew chief make changes to the car throughout the course of the race to make their car better. I have enjoyed announcers like Gordon and JR calling the races because they have a wealth of Knowledge and creditability when they speak.

I for one could care less about Michigan football or football period for that matter. The thing I like about the super bowl is that I know racing and warmer weather is right around the corner lol.