Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Resign!!!! That would be a great start at local track!!!

Stop charging $40 to get in a 10k to win show, and cut out the $4 a beer BS !

Just say no...

1. Keep the show at 3-4 hours.
    2. Less weekly divisions. If you have more than 4, you're doing it wrong.
    3. Clean bathrooms.
    4. Varied food choices in the concessions.
    5. Get an old school bus and take kids on tours through the pits.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

1. Run the Super Late Model feature as early in the program as possible. After that, folks can stay for as many classes as they want. 2. Start on time and keep a race on the track continuously except for a brief intermission. 3. If you run more than 2 or 3 classes, either do pill draws or qualify them after the Super Late Model feature. I am sorry, but we do not drive 6 or 8 hours to see your local classes.4. Do not run out of drinks and food. There is a Walmart on every freaking corner, so send somebody there if you didn't plan for the crowd you ended up with. 5. Announcers: Report the show, don't try and become the show. Sometimes silence is golden so people can enjoy talking with one another.6. Have a three spins/caution rule and the car is black flagged.7. Put a time limit on support class races. Sometimes, it is just not their night.8. If you advertise that gates open at 4:00 PM, do not let people save any seats prior to that.
    Last edited by Winston_Wolfe; 02-20-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TBSprintFan View Post
    We used to have spectator drags (2 cars from a dead start for a green white checkered race with the winner going on and the loser done, normally would have from 6 to 10 cars or trucks) at our track when it was open, but that is over 25 years ago, insurance probably would not allow something like that anymore.
    I did them in about 2000 at Sharon. Lost to a kid in his Moms Blazer. Had a 91? silver two door Cavalier. Poor car.

Tried not telling my Dad, picture was in the program, lol.

Love to race, just not going to dedicate the time or money.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Reasonable time, Clean facilities, decent parking (even security for that parking, wouldn't hurt a security shirt to drive a golf cart through the lot every 30 minutes, or even lighting) most things that can improve a racetrack literally cost nothing except maybe a little elbow grease.
    Look at stadium designs for the ball sports and even nascar these days. Multiple restaurants, bars, standing patios, hall of fames. People's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter these days. Sitting in the same spot and watching an event for multiple hours just isn't as desired as it once was. I'd love to see more places with party decks, Wheatland put in 2 bars its a neat change of pace. A track hall of fame, or show cars up behind the bleachers wouldn't cost much, but would give a fan an easy 15 minute break. Covered or even indoor spaces, while actually costing money is a huge thing to help elevate the fan experience.

Tracks need to bring back a destruction derby crew even 1 time a month for dumb stuff to make the fans laugh or see crashes that don't involve a pissed off racer (and family) or 2. Also mix up the shows. I get bored seeing the same 6 classes run heats and features every week. How about double features, topless events, run what you brung, bounty races, pay the guy that's won the last 7 features an extra $200 for starting last. Do something to provide a fan a unique experience that week. Pick a couple racers to pit behind the stands so fans can see what teams actually do the whole night.
    But the main thing a promotor can do is try. Many of us understand promoting these days is a lot of time to chase the $0 to a small income, but we need more promotors and less gate openers.
    Last edited by tb1545; 02-20-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Saw Wheatland mentioned, we live within an hour and go often. In fairness using Wheatland as a benchmark is unfair, few have the budget, staff, and community support it does. But there are great promoters who put big efforts into their shows elsewhere. As much as we enjoy LOS there are two others we like as much, just a different way of providing the customer with a good experience. But the consistency is starting on time, running a prompt show, good racing surface, reasonable concessions, clean restrooms and the general idea that your admission dollars are appreciated. It isn’t rocket science.
    I hate time trials.

im with you one the infant thing crow , never understood why some one would bring a 6 month old baby to a dirt track , but you see it all the time , cant be good on a baby that little , maybe the track should have a minimum age to enter......

This is one of the best 4m posts this year.

How's having a minimum age to enter. Getting ppl to the track? Have to pay babysitter so can go watch a race.
    Just adds to the cost
    My six month old was with me. When I raced all the time
    He 28 now. Always talking about getting to go with me.
    Some of his best memories.

No one will EVER get the promoters to stop with the 6 classes a night bullsh!t. Figure at my local track, we have atleast 25 Hornets on a given night, each car usually has atleast the driver and a couple buddies, so 25 x3 = 75 people. 75 x $30(pit pass) is $2250 just for people with the cars, not counting more than just the 2 per car or anyone they bring to the stands. The class races for $125 to WIN.... drivers get screwed, promoter gets rich.... do that time's 6 classes and your making a good wage..

Great thread. I hope some promotors actually read these replies. I think the #1 point is to run a timely show. Get the fans and drivers home by 11 at least. Nothing worse than sitting around waiting for your feature to run and you see people that finished up their night racing at a track 30 minutes away and they are able to catch your feature. Yeah, that happens often. Keep the kids entertained. Have bicycle races or power wheels races on the concourse during downtime. Have a social media presence! Show pictures of track work during the week, give away a pair of tickets to fans that share posts Be interactive, social media presence is huge in todays digital world. Post pictures of drivers thru the week, sharing facts or racing resumes. Its not all about the Saturday night race, its about driving people to your page, getting people interested and excited about the races the next weekend.

I know of a promoter that had some of us that raced or even did work at the track go around the neighborhoods and pass out free tickets and most of the people were so pissed off because of the noise coming from the race track and they were not interested in the free tickets. They even told us don't you ever come back here again. A friend of mine told one guy "Why don't come over and see what was making all that noise" and I thought the guy was going to punch him in the nose lol. We would have been better off to go to a different town to try and give away free tickets lol.

Same promoter had specials for each class at some point in the year that paid more money but, did not draw more fans or cars for that matter. That's when I learned throwing more money at it does not mean the cars are going to come.

Same promoter had raffled off a 4 cylinder race car at the banquet hoping to get more cars and he did gain a couple of cars but, not as much as we thought it would.

So in my opinion there are no easy answers to get more fans or cars to the track but, all things people have said on here can only help.

1) Scout Night
    Has to be 100 Boy Scout/Girl Scout troops within 40 miles of many tracks
    Free admission for scouts...gonna make it back in food sales
    2) Little League Night
    Same idea as above...
    3) Town Night
    Everybody from (insert town here) gets in for 1/2 price or free
    Could do two towns/week if the track wanted
    That's 24-30 communities in a race season
    4) kid's Ticket + Concession pkg
    Throw in a hot dog & soda with that ticket
    5) Meet Drivers during Intermission
    Make a couple drivers available to meet kids behind the main grandstand for pics/autographs during track prep, etc.
    Could be different drivers each week. Male drivers, Female drivers, late model, 4-banger, kids don't care, they'd love it.
    5b) Have a Racecar behind the grandstand kids could take a picture by, or heaven forbid sit in. All these vintage racecar clubs out there...let them be a part of it.
    6) If room allows...
    Rock wall for kids during intermission
    Probably could get it for free if you allow them to hand out coupons to their business
    7) Local High School pep band to perform National Anthem
    You want young fans, you better get them to the track
    8) BBQ Cookoff night
    Let your local best compete for bragging rights and instead of spending $ on another hot dog or stale nachos, your fans spend a few bucks to enjoy some good Q
    9) 1/2 price admission to anyone from out of state
    Not ideal for a track close to a state line, but could work at a lot of tracks
    People travel for work, vacations, etc. give them an incentive to check you out

Lots of great ideas on this thread

schedule a seminar with the Kaufman brothers of Cedar Lake Speedway

Inverts always seem to be better for the fans

Quote Originally Posted by rdcllk View Post
    How's having a minimum age to enter. Getting ppl to the track? Have to pay babysitter so can go watch a race.
    Just adds to the cost
    My six month old was with me. When I raced all the time
    He 28 now. Always talking about getting to go with me.
    Some of his best memories.
    so does he remember those races at 6 months old , that was your choice , neither of mine went till they were 5 or 6 and wanted to go , which they got in free then so probably did not help the "track" much , but either way , you did it your way and i did it mine , i still dont think its right to bring a 6 month old to the track , but maybe your right , its the parents decision and not the tracks..........

Get all races done before 10pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody wants to get home after midnight, that is just not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    I did them in about 2000 at Sharon. Lost to a kid in his Moms Blazer. Had a 91? silver two door Cavalier. Poor car.

Tried not telling my Dad, picture was in the program, lol.

Love to race, just not going to dedicate the time or money.
    Was your dad more mad that you raced or that you lost? Lol

Tyler County had the best policy ever when BDS was running it. They guaranteed that the Late Model feature would be on the track by 9:30. No matter where they were in the program, they would bring out the Supers at 9:30. It was the best policy ever and I used to go there a lot more back then than I do now. Every track needs a policy like this, especially when they run every division under the sun.