Thread: E85 with a 602

Default E85 with a 602

Recently purchased a bmod. The crate is setup for e85. Already got the carb and everything for it. My question is do you have to run anything different for e85? I.e. Fuel line size? Return like size? Bigger psi fuel pump?

Treat it like alky and you'll be fine
    7psi Fuel Pressure
    AN-8 to the Carb and AN-6 return.
    Any good Mechanical pump will do. Pro-Cam for example. Get the 11psi pump and build in a return.

He hit it right on the head with what he told you .If all is right I think you will be pleased with the results.While I don't run a crate mine is basically a stock type.engine it was nite and day difference when I put it on e85 . It allowed my 1500$ hand grenade to run with 8 to 10 grand pro built engines

Treat it like gasoline and you will be fine too without all that complexity and extra cost. Bought E85 carb, Holley high volume gas pump and that is it. no regulator to go bad, no return lines etc etc. 2 years on 2 open wheel a mods which take lots more fuel than an 602 engine. runs cooler, more horsepower, low cost compared to race gas. Never the slightest problem in 2 years. from flat tappet low compression 355 to all out roller cam high compression 377 and 383. works perfect. I put top end lube in the e95, many don;t even do that. Only 30% more volume than gas so don't need all the alky stuff which requires twice the volume of fuel.

daytonagary is correct , way less supply needed than methanol , no bypass needed but would not hurt , main problem with e85 is fuel vendors hate it and put it down , mainly because 2 dollar a gallon e85 will out perform 10 dollar a gallon racing gas.........

He is right I've have not had any of the problems with e85 you read about just use common sense just like gas you will be fine I buy at the pump it has always been good if you buy 55 gallons just stick air hose in drum to keep it agiated I also do this every week in fuel cell I also put some trans fluid in it for some lube.

Hendren advocates oxygenated Klotz race fuel over e85, what say ye?

last i checked , that stuff was like 14 bucks a gallon , that was several years ago so i dont know what it cost now , i also wander what his reasoning for that is , other than if he is a dealer for it.......

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    last i checked , that stuff was like 14 bucks a gallon , that was several years ago so i dont know what it cost now , i also wander what his reasoning for that is , other than if he is a dealer for it.......
    In all fairness: While I don't know Steve Hendren all that well, I did know his father Bill pretty well and found him to be very honest and don't have a reason to think Steve falls too far from the tree but anything is possible.

That being said, some oxygenated or blended fuels will make more power then E-85 (it can be a pretty fair amount - but not always that much on peak power but can be quite substantial in the mid non peak areas). I have never tested that particular brand of fuel, but others I have and there is for sure power there if your trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of a crate and aren't worried about costs.

There was a reason many sanction bodies outlawed fuels that had NITROETHANE OR MTBE as it does work well but adds costs.
    Last edited by billetbirdcage; 02-28-2019 at 07:58 PM.

i agree billet , we only tested with sonoco and didnt even have e85 back then , we were on methanol back then and was looking for an equivalent with less consumption , also i was not taking a jab at hendren , just curious as to there reasoning because IMO , e85 is the better choice, thats all........

Quote Originally Posted by billetbirdcage View Post
    In all fairness: While I don't know Steve Hendren all that well, I did know his father Bill pretty well and found him to be very honest and don't have a reason to think Steve falls too far from the tree but anything is possible.

That being said, some oxygenated or blended fuels will make more power then E-85 (it can be a pretty fair amount - but not always that much on peak power but can be quite substantial in the mid non peak areas). I have never tested that particular brand of fuel, but others I have and there is for sure power there if your trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of a crate and aren't worried about costs.

There was a reason many sanction bodies outlawed fuels that had NITROETHANE OR MTBE as it does work well but adds costs.
    I agree with you billet. After speaking with Steve a few times on the phone, I believe he is a stand up no nonsense kinda guy. We will be buying our first crate engine from him because of this.

Below is a c and p'd post from his FB page on his recommendations:

Regular race gas (non-oxygenated): Any race gas that is between 95-105 octane.
    Oxygenated race gas (for maximum power): Klotz CR-604 or Klotz CR-601 which we helped Klotz develop. NOTE601 is unleaded, which gives it a lower price point. It performs the same as the CR-604) CR-604 and CR-601 currently produces the same power and torque as CHP and Ratman 108 Elite oxygenated race gasses, which is what it was designed to do. It also happens to be the most stable of the oxygenated fuels that are out there and does NOT contain any of the banned chemicals that the Durrence Layne Racing Series does not allow. So it is 100% Durrence Layne legal. Klotz is available at crateinsider.com
    We also recommend using VP Crate Horse Power or Renegade Ratman 108 Elite, when legal to use. Both are excellent fuels that produce great power, and great options to the somewhat difficult-to-get Klotz fuel. However, the VP CHP and the Ratman require some carb modifications in order to run properly. So if you’re switching to either of these fuels, we recommend contacting your carb manufacturer.
    RUSH RACING SERIES: We recommend their 110 spec fuel, especially in the summer when detonation can be an issue. However we do have customers who are successfully using their spec 91 fuel.
    E85: The only time we recommend E85 is if your rules do not allow for oxygenated race gas, but the rule makers who wrote the rules are stupid and allow E85 to race against non oxygenated race gas or “pump gas”. In this scenario E85 would have a large advantage over race gas or “pump gas”.
    Pump Gas: The only time we recommend this fuel is when it’s your only legal option. In this scenario we recommend 100% ethanol free gas, unless you can find a source that can consistently blend ethanol into the pump gas (i.e. It doesn’t have 10% ethanol one week, and 5% the next week).

the part about " we helped klotz develop " tells me a lot , but any way , to each his own , he is correct though that e85 has a LARGE advantage over race gas , and most classes down here have banned oxygenated fuel anyway.......

Race one tested pump e85 vs renegade e85 and if I'm not mistaken there was no hp difference in dyno hp. Just check it at pump make sure it'se85 I love the stuff. Like I said just use common sense.