Default STARS Super Late Model Race at Cherokee Speedway 1998

Found this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVPblMtQWfw

Nice little race from the old layout at Cherokee Speedway. Driver intros start at the 34:45 mark. Good to see some of those names again in the late 90s Late Models. Grew up rooting several of them.

I like the way they did driver introductions in '98!

I miss those days at Cherokee the big half mile but i understand why they had to cut it down

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    I like the way they did driver introductions in '98!
    I always liked that myself. Back in the mid 90's when STARS would come to Potomac they would do similar driver introductions with the group picture. Then have each driver sign a frisbee and toss it into the stands. Doubt that'll ever come back since most people now just wanna get to the racing then leave.

A picture is worth a thousand words. It adds to the experience to actually see who puts on that helmet, crawls through the window of that race car, and puts on a show for you.

Going to be cold on raceday. All dress warm
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

Thanks for posting. Love that era. Miss seeing Duvall on the track. The deal with he and Pennington looked to both of their faults. That is, unless Patterson clamped on the brakes going into 1.

Weird to see the confederate flag flying.

^^^

Agreed. I hated it for Jack but kind of a racing deal. Mike needed to go and Jack went for what he thought was going to be an opportunity.

Also, was Ricky Weeks that hated back then there? A lot of boos when his name was announced. I know he won a lot of track championships there in the 90s.

I can't remember if he was hated by most or just some back then. He would kick everybody's rear end almost ever week lol I miss those days of supers running weekly especially when you had Rambo Weeks Clements Ivey Duvall Cooke Wesley Hood and a whole bunch of others and they would put on a show every week

Weeks was really good at his craft. He was also a super nice guy. I think the booing and such behavior came about because he was constantly winning or constantly in contention to win and spectators didn't want to see that same man on the podium week after week. Now they know the origins of his surname …... WEEKS!
    I see nothing wrong with a driver winning every week. If one doesn't like it, put a car and driver on the track that can stop that winning. Cherokee couldn't do it for a long time nor could the Carolina Clash series.

Default Carolina clash/weeks

That white car with the purple 1 he used to run in the clash was one of my favorite cars ever......of anyone
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I tell you one thing that i used to do and that was everytime the national touring series would roll in to Cherokee I would root for our local boys to beat them cause IMO we had the best local talent that could compete with the national touring series in the south east

Watch 'little' Headknocker this year, I think he will run the big races at Gaffney like the old man did in his day...