Thread: Extended Studs?

Default Extended Studs?

Is it worth while getting extended studs for a Hub, we're running 007's, to facilitate running a 1 inch spacer? Vs running a dual nut set up?

I know Mods run really long studs to do this, i seen one Rocket car with longer studs, but dont see it to often. Thought it may be worth while.

Just say no...

With the wheel using the studs and nuts for centering, it's not good engineering practice.

007 hubs will break the ears off too, especially rears. be careful

im a little confused here , how is using a 1in spacer on longer studs going to produce more stress than a traditional 2 in spacer?

I think with the traditional spacers, alternating the bolt pattern, the load gets transferred into the spacer, and then into the hub.

Alternatively, if you have a long stud, with a spacer on that stud all the load goes thru the stud into the Hub, essentially with a longer lever arm to apply the load.

As Race Engineer said bad practice, just took me reading with Fastford posted to realize it. Unless i am still thinking of it wrong.

Just say no...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromulous View Post
    I think with the traditional spacers, alternating the bolt pattern, the load gets transferred into the spacer, and then into the hub. Alternatively, if you have a long stud, with a spacer on that stud all the load goes thru the stud into the Hub, essentially with a longer lever arm to apply the load.As Race Engineer said bad practice, just took me reading with Fastford posted to realize it. Unless i am still thinking of it wrong.
    You are correct. 1" of stud length is taxed with holding the wheel on center. It isn't in simple shear. The wheel may move around.

Wehrs, and I am sure others makes a nice 1" wheel spacer just like the 2", separate set of studs. Better option that running long studs and spacers.

the farther the tire is away from the hub , the more load is going to be applied to the ears and there studs seems to me , which i have seen them run both ways and never seen one break without a crash so IDK...... ,

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    the farther the tire is away from the hub , the more load is going to be applied to the ears and there studs seems to me , which i have seen them run both ways and never seen one break without a crash so IDK...... ,
    The issue with the long stud is that the 5 studs determine your wheel center. The stud is in the hub now you essentially have a spacer that acts like a stack of washers on each stud. Then the wheel grips the stud toward the end, that lets the stud act like a spring between the hub and wheel when it comes to holding the wheel on center.

Howe has been selling their 1" screw on wheel spacers for a long time. I would think if theres a problem , they wouldn't be selling them.

I used them on a Rocket for over a year with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO25 View Post
    Howe has been selling their 1" screw on wheel spacers for a long time. I would think if theres a problem , they wouldn't be selling them.I used them on a Rocket for over a year with no problems.
    Screw on is not the same as slide on. Sill not as good as the traditional, but way better than slide on ring.

The whole wheel should be centered by the hub to be a really good engineered piece. Just because something doesn't break does not mean it's good practice. There is right and probably works.